12/24/2014 - New Site Design

Alex

Both of those things I'm aware of, the logo being cut off is just because of the logo Phiney had created for our holiday competition. The normal logo does not get cut off at all.

The map buttons are off a bit, and I'm not sure exactly how to fix that yet, but it's a pretty low priority.

I have problems on mine because of the map as I brought up before, it pushes the the table off screen and the cities are basically hidden for me.

T7Vrilp.png

Both of those things I'm aware of, the logo being cut off is just because of the logo Phiney had created for our holiday competition. The normal logo does not get cut off at all.

The map buttons are off a bit, and I'm not sure exactly how to fix that yet, but it's a pretty low priority.

Go into the jVectormap CSS file and simply make the buttons width and height a bit larger. It will balance it out.

<Sheepy> Ah, it is Christmas this turn

<Sheepy> Sheepy-Claus is gonna be comin' down your chim-chim-chiminey

I just keep thinking about Facebook. Facebook rolls out new changes and design and people still use it.

This game is kick ass and if sheepy wants to make a better design, I'm ok suffering a little bit while it gets worked out.

From my home computer the website is worse than my phone. I use Google Chrome as a web browser. It seems I have no way to navigate to the other menues. I looked for a way, but couldn't find it. The first page I see is a create a nation page with no login option or other menues.

There is a pull down menu I can access from my phone unlike my web browser. I have an iPhone 5 and i have the same issues with the formatting as stated in above posts.

Personally I like the old format better. Less headache in trying to find things.

When I use Microsoft Explorer I can see the side menu to navigate through the forums.  For some reason it's absent in Google Chrome.

Edit:  I can see the side menu in Google Chrome now.  

Edited by LadyHawke

I'm not happy with the way you changed the layout on the bank page, but thats really the only thing I've found to complain about (so far). I went to go withdraw money, only to wind up trying (and failing) to deposit.

greene.png

Formerly known as Grealind of Resvernas (28 October 2014-29 August 2017) and Greene of Japan (29 August 2017-28 Septmber 2017)

7th Caretaker of Duat, the Deity Thoth

On the nation view page, Government Type and Social Policies are the same color. Same goes for Last Activity and Nation Color.

• Upvote 1

greene.png

Formerly known as Grealind of Resvernas (28 October 2014-29 August 2017) and Greene of Japan (29 August 2017-28 Septmber 2017)

On Edit page; Government and Nat. Color are same background.

Revenue; Color Stock bonus + Gross Income, Military + City upkeep,

• Upvote 1

greene.png

This one seems to load faster. But everything seems to be bigger than usual.

indonesia.jpg

King Bilal the Great Mediocre

The Average monarch of Billonesia

Wikia page (if you're into roleplay things).

We Tvtropes now. (down the rabbit hole!)

I just keep thinking about Facebook. Facebook rolls out new changes and design and people still use it.

I don't. I left right after they decided to force that abhorrent timeline BS on me. There were other reasons but that was the last [large] straw that broke the camels back.

That's not how design change works. Ask Facebook and YouTube.

What was the main purpose of this change again? To improve the mobile experience. Last I checked you can switch between full sites and mobile versions of the sites. In fact, I just checked now. Still can. Edited by underlordgc
  • Upvote 1

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

Well it does load faster alright... but it looks too bright and 'clean' for me. I personally prefer the clunky look of the old one. But then again, I'm like the only one here that browse the forum with the IP.Board theme.

Anything for speed goes, I guess

UedhRvY.png

A rare compliment from Hereno, wow. I'm glad you like the design.

Yes, this appears to be the first major bug I've come across, and will have it fixed ASAP.

This could possibly happen in the future, but for now I'd like to get things worked out with the new design and give everyone a little time to get used to it. It really isn't even that much different, honestly.

Me and Phiney were testing it on an iPhone 6 Plus and a Nexus 5, which do have bigger screens, but it's bootstrap and should be responsive for whatever size screen you've got. Could you post a screenshot of how it's displaying on your phone?

I'm not sure what you mean by you can't navigate, maybe give the website a hard refresh with F5 and try it again. It's possibly not everything is loaded correctly.

That goes for everyone: try a hard F5 refresh if things just aren't quite looking right.

Still renders with the resource bar half-off the page.

Works fine now after a Cmd-R

Edited by hornguardia

-Legend of Hornguardia

Yes, it IS a dancing tropical bird

Yes, it IS sick

No, it does NOT want your cracker

Well it does load faster alright... but it looks too bright and 'clean' for me. I personally prefer the clunky look of the old one. But then again, I'm like the only one here that browse the forum with the IP.Board theme.

Anything for speed goes, I guess

I use IP.Board.  It's the least hideous of the available themes.

• Upvote 1

Also, to everyone who said they don't like the new font/new font color, it doesn't really seem to have changed for me. It might be your browser, but I'll go ahead and make sure that text is still as black as it can be.

I believe people are talking about the text link color, not actual text. I.e. the colour of a's. Maybe go for something like #4964b3. (Hopefully that's just a darker version of what's currently there, I'm on my mobile for the next few days so can't really check).

The other change I'd recommend from a quick browse, along with the map issue I've already mentioned, is making the buttons on the alliance page rounded corners so they match the ones on the nation page.

T7Vrilp.png

No, That's not the way to go about it, If majority of players don't like the new layout, it needs to be looked at, personally, I like this new layout, although it can be improved.

The majority of players don't care about the layout, as long as it works. If you could get everyone to vote, and included IDGAF as an option, I guarantee it would win over all other options.

I think it looks good, Sheepy. 

On the nation view page, Government Type and Social Policies are the same color. Same goes for Last Activity and Nation Color.

On Edit page; Government and Nat. Color are same background.

Revenue; Color Stock bonus + Gross Income, Military + City upkeep,

I can't unsee this! Help! 

But then again, I'm like the only one here that browse the forum with the IP.Board theme.

youre-wrong.jpg

I use it, too. So do many others. 

Edited by WISD0MTREE

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

Me and Phiney were testing it on an iPhone 6 Plus and a Nexus 5, which do have bigger screens, but it's bootstrap and should be responsive for whatever size screen you've got. Could you post a screenshot of how it's displaying on your phone?

http://imgur.com/mSeJot3

http://imgur.com/PMC9UtW

http://imgur.com/x1ohQLK

http://imgur.com/rINJKbg

http://imgur.com/ltpm2Q7

http://imgur.com/JPmMHwu

http://imgur.com/sQDCPNe

http://imgur.com/aEDeFdv

I zoomed out as far as possible in every instance; this wasn't always enough, and where it was, it made certain features much wider than others. The screenshots should pretty much speak for themselves otherwise; everything is just sized really, really irritatingly, sometimes even in a way that actually hinders the site's functionality.

Again, I'm on an iPhone 5, which one could argue is outdated now (but one shouldn't, because as far as I'm concerned, the iPhone 6 is more tablet than mobile), but there are still a lot of people using it, so this could be a serious shortcoming of the new design, especially considering that one of its primary purposes was to be mobile-friendly.

For the things like messages with the wide tables, just scroll across them when at normal zoom. Its easy and makes sense. For the nation page, that's due to the map which I've mentioned a few times to sheepy so I believe he will fix it.

T7Vrilp.png

For the things like messages with the wide tables, just scroll across them when at normal zoom. Its easy and makes sense.

That's a makeshift solution to a structural problem with the design. Again, the functionality is not impaired in this particular case; I can navigate the mobile Messages page without trouble, but that doesn't make the design acceptable or appealing.

The fundamental issue at hand here is that this new design is supposed to be a permanent improvement. If the default response to problems with the design is not to solve them but to insist that it's still possible to use the site despite them, then the design should be scrapped entirely. I don't think that the design should be scrapped entirely. If Sheepy trusts you to improve the site's design, then who am I to object? My only concern is that various problems are arising, and they are being waved away as inconsequential when they are in fact very consequential.

• Upvote 1

• Jax locked this topic