12/24/2014 - New Site Design

Alex

I love the new design - it feels much more well spaced-out and easy to navigate without accidentally clicking something else, and also coherent. Props to you and Phiney. Only problems for me are:

• the Score Change and Score Breakdown windows aren't centered/don't fill their boxes

• the Breakdown piechart crowds into the list of toggleable buttons for each category of score

Not necessarily problems, but

• Color Bonus Leaderboards piechart looks a bit lonely on top of the tables of data, with nothing next to it. The table of Nations/Income Bonus is on the bottom of the page, far away from the piechart.

• the other Leaderboards graphs look good, although the way long nation names get alternated in height placement on the page so as to keep from crowding each other out looks a little odd.

Edit: Also, when launching a ground attack, the boxes to specify troop and tank count is moved too far to the right. There's a huge blank space between the Attacking Soldiers number and the text box.

Edited by Erin

At first I was like "wuuut" to the aesthetics, then I got used to it in about 10 minutes, and forgot it had changed until I saw this thread again.

It does seem more responsive to me, and I'm on a desktop.

I also noticed, reading my messages, that it seems to be wider, fitting more information on one line, which means less scrolling. I don't know if the font just got smaller or if more screen space was allocated to the message itself, but I like it.

hxvRjGK.jpg

don't listen to them sheepy, this layout kicks ass compared to the old one

No, That's not the way to go about it, If majority of players don't like the new layout, it needs to be looked at, personally, I like this new layout, although it can be improved.

Absolutely love the design on desktop. We may have to tweak the mobile one a bit as I feel like we're trying to fit too much on one page but I'm really loving the direction we're going.

[22:36:30]  <&CMDR_Adama>  I want to be spanked.

XglZlQC.jpg

I don't think that the new design is an improvement on desktop, but given the noticeable performance increase, the new design isn't jarring enough to make me complain. Thumbs up for the desktop version.

As for the mobile version, I'm using an iPhone 5, so maybe the design was optimized for Android or the ridiculously massive screen of the iPhone 6, but lots of things (especially large tables, graphs, and maps) are either cut off or otherwise horribly sized; for example, on the Military page, the descriptions appear to all be squeezed into a little half-inch margin of space, making the page about a mile long and putting loads of empty space between every image. Thumbs down for the mobile version.

Was the mobile version even tested? And if so, was it tested on more than one type of phone? Because the functionality is still basically there - zooming in and out never bothered me and I rarely misclicked after my first few times using the old design on my phone, so the functionality is essentially the same for me - but it's not at all easy on the eyes.

From my home computer the website is worse than my phone. I use Google Chrome as a web browser. It seems I have no way to navigate to the other menues. I looked for a way, but couldn't find it. The first page I see is a create a nation page with no login option or other menues.

There is a pull down menu I can access from my phone unlike my web browser. I have an iPhone 5 and i have the same issues with the formatting as stated in above posts.

Personally I like the old format better. Less headache in trying to find things.

Edited by LadyHawke

Personally I like the old format better. Less headache in trying to find things.

I mean obviously with something new you'll have to adjust but I really do think something that may turn people off from web based nation sim games is that generally the websites just don't look.... pleasing.

[22:36:30]  <&CMDR_Adama>  I want to be spanked.

XglZlQC.jpg

I got some bugs on my desktop. 

M1oMZtb.png?1

It is like that on every page. 

uPENUrd.png?1

Also, the announcement page doesn't scale on desktop. 

Edited by WISD0MTREE

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

• Administrators

don't listen to them sheepy, this layout kicks ass compared to the old one

A rare compliment from Hereno, wow. I'm glad you like the design.

Doesn't render well in Safari.  Specifically, the resource bar.

ScreenShot2014-12-24at103943AM_zpse2c781

Yes, this appears to be the first major bug I've come across, and will have it fixed ASAP.

Just add an option to switch between the two.

This could possibly happen in the future, but for now I'd like to get things worked out with the new design and give everyone a little time to get used to it. It really isn't even that much different, honestly.

I don't think that the new design is an improvement on desktop, but given the noticeable performance increase, the new design isn't jarring enough to make me complain. Thumbs up for the desktop version.

As for the mobile version, I'm using an iPhone 5, so maybe the design was optimized for Android or the ridiculously massive screen of the iPhone 6, but lots of things (especially large tables, graphs, and maps) are either cut off or otherwise horribly sized; for example, on the Military page, the descriptions appear to all be squeezed into a little half-inch margin of space, making the page about a mile long and putting loads of empty space between every image. Thumbs down for the mobile version.

Was the mobile version even tested? And if so, was it tested on more than one type of phone? Because the functionality is still basically there - zooming in and out never bothered me and I rarely misclicked after my first few times using the old design on my phone, so the functionality is essentially the same for me - but it's not at all easy on the eyes.

Me and Phiney were testing it on an iPhone 6 Plus and a Nexus 5, which do have bigger screens, but it's bootstrap and should be responsive for whatever size screen you've got. Could you post a screenshot of how it's displaying on your phone?

From my home computer the website is worse than my phone. I use Google Chrome as a web browser. It seems I have no way to navigate to the other menues. I looked for a way, but couldn't find it. The first page I see is a create a nation page with no login option or other menues.

There is a pull down menu I can access from my phone unlike my web browser. I have an iPhone 5 and i have the same issues with the formatting as stated in above posts.

I'm not sure what you mean by you can't navigate, maybe give the website a hard refresh with F5 and try it again. It's possibly not everything is loaded correctly.

That goes for everyone: try a hard F5 refresh if things just aren't quite looking right.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

• Administrators

I got some bugs on my desktop. 

M1oMZtb.png?1

It is like that on every page. 

uPENUrd.png?1

What browser are you using? And can you give it a hard F5 refresh? For example, the changelog looks considerably better on my browser. (Also, your TH's and Column Headers should have more padding, and the table borders shouldn't be so large. I think you need to recache the CSS.

EGYXOsi.png

Also, to everyone who said they don't like the new font/new font color, it doesn't really seem to have changed for me. It might be your browser, but I'll go ahead and make sure that text is still as black as it can be.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

What browser are you using? And can you give it a hard F5 refresh? For example, the changelog looks considerably better on my browser. (Also, your TH's and Column Headers should have more padding, and the table borders shouldn't be so large. I think you need to recache the CSS.

-snip-

Also, to everyone who said they don't like the new font/new font color, it doesn't really seem to have changed for me. It might be your browser, but I'll go ahead and make sure that text is still as black as it can be.

I'm on a very, very old version of Chrome. (Before everyone flips out, I need the translate tool.)

The hard refresh fixed it, but now the PaW logo is cut off a tad. Edit: Also, the map buttons are a bit off. Pic inside the spoiler

otNpliS.png?1

EDIT: 

a4lULyD.png?1

Edited by WISD0MTREE

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

• Administrators

After some tedious tinkering, I got the resource bar working correctly in Safari now.

Forums Rules | Game Link

• Administrators

I'm on a very, very old version of Chrome. (Before everyone flips out, I need the translate tool.)

The hard refresh fixed it, but now the PaW logo is cut off a tad. Edit: Also, the map buttons are a bit off. Pic inside the spoiler

otNpliS.png?1

EDIT: 

a4lULyD.png?1

Both of those things I'm aware of, the logo being cut off is just because of the logo Phiney had created for our holiday competition. The normal logo does not get cut off at all.

The map buttons are off a bit, and I'm not sure exactly how to fix that yet, but it's a pretty low priority.

• Upvote 1

Forums Rules | Game Link

• Jax locked this topic