Of traditional government

Raphael

I like the general idea of this, and completely agree with pursuing new structures that are more flexible than what we have currently.

At the same time, I think you missed a very important benefit of the current executive structure - response times. We could certainly move to a legislative-style system, more like the few democratic alliances that still exist, but you still end up with a leader/2ic because there needs to be a response.

To clarify: If we take a theoretical legislative alliance, and they get hit by some outside alliance; a legislative-oriented alliance must vote on a course of action, which can take time and cause delays. If they’re appointing people to deal with this stuff until it can be voted on (IE appointing a “Prime Minister”), then it’s still the executive system, just more openly debated within the same stagnant government system.

Of course, I don’t fully know what you mean by “legislative” but without any specialization that allows for competent people in all fields to be represented, it’s difficult to see how a legislative group could work. A ruling legislature within an alliance of 5-15 people does no real good if one of the traditional departments suffers as a result (IE the AA falls behind on Econ or internals).

Like I said earlier in this post, I don’t disagree with spicing things up in any way. I do want to make sure we’re not skipping over the benefits of the current system, though, because doing so means any replacement ideas might fail to do enough.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Lysander said:

I like the general idea of this, and completely agree with pursuing new structures that are more flexible than what we have currently.

At the same time, I think you missed a very important benefit of the current executive structure - response times. We could certainly move to a legislative-style system, more like the few democratic alliances that still exist, but you still end up with a leader/2ic because there needs to be a response.

To clarify: If we take a theoretical legislative alliance, and they get hit by some outside alliance; a legislative-oriented alliance must vote on a course of action, which can take time and cause delays. If they’re appointing people to deal with this stuff until it can be voted on (IE appointing a “Prime Minister”), then it’s still the executive system, just more openly debated within the same stagnant government system.

Of course, I don’t fully know what you mean by “legislative” but without any specialization that allows for competent people in all fields to be represented, it’s difficult to see how a legislative group could work. A ruling legislature within an alliance of 5-15 people does no real good if one of the traditional departments suffers as a result (IE the AA falls behind on Econ or internals).

Like I said earlier in this post, I don’t disagree with spicing things up in any way. I do want to make sure we’re not skipping over the benefits of the current system, though, because doing so means any replacement ideas might fail to do enough.

If you have made and raised an alliance to scratch. I don't think you will give away the leadership to someone. You don't what the next successor will do. Will he continue the legacy or drown the alliance?   A leader will think It is better to not take the risk and keep the AA in their hands. 

It is much better to enjoy the power and dominance you have. If it is transferred , It will be given to an old trusted player , not to some random newbie. No wants to 'try' new things as those new things can effect the alliance negatively.

Just now, Keegoz said:

I refuse to retire. You can't make me.

I feel like you're always on the cusp of retirement and then these threads pop up that keep you going.

Damn you @Roberts! We almost got rid of him! 😂

• Haha 2

image.gif.d80770bf646703bba00c14ad52088af9.gif

3 hours ago, Ragnar-Danneskjold said:

Be the change you want to see in the world.

Coup your current alliances leaders and try something radical.

Gotta put your money where your WoT is.

Say no more.

@Canbeccome out with yo hands up and nobody's gonna get hurt!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I can imagine the Legislative structure be like

#Announcement channels 

Members we got hit by KT... There's a window of 1 hours to vote if we should deposit our excess resources and attack or speak with the attacking party for peace. Damn never mind, if you have more planes dogfight, deposit your excess resources now!!!!!

.... Actually, I support your opinion on a change, but I can only see it has a function of Internal Affairs. Every IA department could look into what you have said and see what can be done without agitating their members.

• Haha 1

I’m confused, when I felt this way I made an alliance that set out(and was apart) of the biggest game change in the history of Orbis. 

stop whining on the owf and go be the change you want to see in the world. 

• Upvote 1

IMG_2989.png?ex=65e9efa9&is=65d77aa9&hm=

It feels like the behavior change you seek needs some sort of in-game incentive (due to the downsides of that change mentioned by others here).

For example, alliances choose government type. If they choose the one with those additional branches, then they get an income benefit. In exchange, they have a periodic in-game voting for those branches, and they can only declare wars if all branches click the “approve” button in-game.

Even after making voting in-game and declaring wars in-game, pretty sure people can still game the process :)

I'm seeing the word "voting" thrown around a lot here. I hate to break it to y'all, but democracy in pnw sucks ass. You don't need to invent the wheel to find out who's got potential for any role: it's literally whoever takes an interest to find out how things work.

You then let the person explore their area(s) of interest, make a few mistakes if needed and go from there. For FA in particular, you wanna run as tight a ship as possible, and have as few people involved as possible, unless you completely trust them, and even then it's risky.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Ragnar-Danneskjold said:

Be the change you want to see in the world.

Coup your current alliances leaders and try something radical.

Gotta put your money where your WoT is.

My brother in Sheepy, I'm in Arrgh. Every captain here is their own master, we are the definition of radical.

22 hours ago, Emperor Adam said:

Response time and simplicity. Not to mention stability. I know you address some of this further into the post, but I'll expand a bit. The average member does not know the political landscape of the game.

To address you and @Lysander at once, I think response time is the weakest reason given and I didn't even bring it up in my post as such. Minimal creativity could solve this issue by having emergency positions or figureheads for certain roles like quick FA needs or war. Many alliances already have this built into their current model: the FA head will often make calls in lieu of a full government discussion.

You *have* to be some level of outgoing to be any gov role.

This is a good point that I think I glossed over too much in my post, thank you for highlighting it. This being essentially an MMO, minimum social interaction is required for every role. We could have Econ gods among us who are simply too introverted to ever check discord.

Protectorates are being made, but not often properly trained, if at all. It seems a trend to sign a decent sized micro, minimally help them, then expect to absorb them when they inevitably fail from lack of guidance. 

I think this ties into some of the points I was trying to make about the entire system being stagnated. T$/WANA, TKR/Morf, Rose/Vexz, Cata/Keegoz, Grumpy/SRD, etc. many of the major groups have people who are or recently were the heads of their alliance/FA openly stating they had no time or no passion for the game anymore. Some of them have gone on for years in this state.

So we have a bunch of burnt out people running almost every alliance that would sign a protectorate - and we're shocked protectorates don't get the attention they might need when the alliances themselves can barely manage their own position? It's all a connected issue in my mind.

I think a big problem with all of these as well is leaks. Every major and most minor aas have been burned more than once by leaks - and its lead to a very reclusive governing standard fueled by justifiable paranoia. Its difficult to be open with your alliance when you're also looking over your shoulder constantly. There's middleground that can be reached, certainly, but its easier to keep things brief and under wraps.

I agree but I think we need to step back and really ask is the state of our game worth what these people would consider "necessary" to prevent leaks? This is a game, stuff is going to be gossiped about. OPSEC is very important but perhaps we've gone overboard and sacrificed too much just to keep usually-obvious plans from being confirmed.

20 hours ago, Pascal said:

make any top alliance collapse speedrun any%

Might be a good thing. Veins seemed to have more fun in Mythic anyway.

11 hours ago, Kastor said:

I’m confused, when I felt this way I made an alliance that set out(and was apart) of the biggest game change in the history of Orbis. 

Who are you? :P 

• Haha 1

I agree with the general premise of the post but disagree on the last part about legacy alliances. It's one thing to do bold experimentation if you're a struggling, relatively new micro with nothing to lose, but I think it's to much to ask major alliances that have put literal years of effort into getting where they are to do the same. As the saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

• Upvote 1

This does raise an interesting question, how might major alliances be persuaded to explore new styles of leadership that allow for more player engagement? Even if we are suddenly in full agreement with Robert's sentiments, alliances still need to be incentivised to take action. And to be frank, I'm not certain if "other players have fun" is a strong enough incentive when considered in isolation.

• Upvote 1

PnW spy brag.png

On 7/7/2023 at 8:03 PM, Emeralds said:

I can imagine the Legislative structure be like

#Announcement channels 

Members we got hit by KT... There's a window of 1 hours to vote if we should deposit our excess resources and attack or speak with the attacking party for peace. Damn never mind, if you have more planes dogfight, deposit your excess resources now!!!!!

.... Actually, I support your opinion on a change, but I can only see it has a function of Internal Affairs. Every IA department could look into what you have said and see what can be done without agitating their members.

It would likely have a role in less urgent FA matters, right?

It'd give me an outlet every time I have a new and wonderful FA idea whose brilliance isn't recognised by the leadership of the alliance I'm in at the time.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sketchy said:

I would suggest like others in the thread, that instead of trying to proselytize the game into conforming to your idea of how things should be, you should simply make the alliance you envision, and prove it's viability. The excuse that we are not tolerant of failed experiments, is just that, and excuse. If you have conviction in what you are saying, then you shouldn't see the risk of failure.

This is quite literally how I formed Grumpy, I took my experience of playing these games for a number of years, and then started an alliance that did exactly what I would have wanted an alliance to be like if I was a member.

As for the lack of competency, I would almost argue it makes for more interesting politics to have incompetent people running things, because they make stupid mistakes which lead to fun outcomes.  Competency is learned thru making mistakes.

On 7/9/2023 at 1:38 AM, Avatar Patrick said:

As the saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

To clarify my post: My main thought behind everything I'm bringing up is that the entire political system of the game is indeed broken. These established AA's with "nothing to lose" are already seeing the ramifications of their lackluster policies, some are adapting others are withering. Many of them rely on inertia to maintain their status at this point. Meaning many people sit on their AA because they have little interest in the game anymore and that happens to be where they're parked. The active new blood goes elsewhere, and time will tell on how long you can rest on laurels.

4 hours ago, Sweeeeet Ronny D said:

This is quite literally how I formed Grumpy, I took my experience of playing these games for a number of years, and then started an alliance that did exactly what I would have wanted an alliance to be like if I was a member.

As for the lack of competency, I would almost argue it makes for more interesting politics to have incompetent people running things, because they make stupid mistakes which lead to fun outcomes.  Competency is learned thru making mistakes.

Sadly it can also lead to people leaving the game. I've seen that in a few micros I've been in, especially ones which initially seem to have a bit of momentum and then just fail to get over the hump as it were. 

There's no more toxic environment than a micro in its dying days, because that's when the blame starts to get handed out and tired and angry people say things they later live to regret. I know I've been on both the giving and receiving end of this during my time in micro politics, which is partially why you've got me forever because I'm not doing that one again. Three times is enough.