My thoughts on bots and a plea to blanket ban all third party automation and develop the tools inhouse

Mars

This is will be even more unpopular then i thought haha, guess people really love bots.

I am wondering though, why does the time and effort that go to making bots not go to making the actual game better. 

And why not have an Alex owned discord bot he can get different people to help with.

Edited by Mars
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Throw me to the wolves and I’ll return leading the pack.

12 minutes ago, Nero Claudius said:

L take

taken

8 minutes ago, Jacob Knox said:

Regardless, I think "remove all automation and bots" is a naïve solution, at best.

Exact quote is 'remove all third party automation and bots' and develop the game and inhouse bots that are not player controlled.

I would like to humbly point out there is a pretty big distinction between the two, since one keeps your quality of life changes, just makes it so they can only be handled by authorized, alex controlled discord bots, or incorporated into the actual website.

Also would you please tell me if you would be against it just because the function you use would now be on the website or alex bot and why?

And is going 'ingame' to play a game an actual inconvenience?

If not, dont you think its important not to misrepresent what i say if youre gonna go through the trouble of typing a response?

Edited by Mars
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jacob Knox said:

I will cede the point that the recruitment scripts are kinda cancer spam, but that's a minor point here.

While this is true, it's kind of necessary isn't it? Otherwise new players would only join the top alliances, and the others wouldn't really have much of a chance. Of course people could go out manually messaging everyone, but that would still be spam.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Mars said:

This is will be even more unpopular then i thought haha, guess people really love bots.

I am wondering though, why does the time and effort that go to making bots not go to making the actual game better. 

And why not have an Alex owned discord bot he can get different people to help with.

you do know doing all that stuff manually is a pain in the ass right?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mars said:

Exact quote is 'remove all third party automation and bots' and develop the game and inhouse bots that are not player controlled.

I would like to humbly point out there is a pretty big distinction between the two, since one keeps your quality of life changes, just makes it so they can only be handled by authorized, alex controlled discord bots, or incorporated into the actual website.

Also would you please tell me if you would be against it just because the function you use would now be on the website or alex bot and why?

And is going 'ingame' to play a game an actual inconvenience?

If not, dont you think its important not to misrepresent what i say if youre gonna go through the trouble of typing a response?

When the game notifies me of all new declarations against my alliance (which technically includes Aurora too) and has an easy way to set up war rooms for members to communicate about any given war they're involved in all in-game, then I wouldn't have much of a point for the bot's milcom functions. Nothing the bot does for milcom really affects gameplay, but rather communication. Wars are still fought in-game. And no, going in-game isn't that much of an inconvenience for me (given that I do it at least once every single day), but my point is that having to almost constantly monitor the war tabs of Aurora and Serpentis to see if any of our 140 members are getting into trouble would be an absolute pain in the neck. I know, because I used to do it for Borealis' roughly 34 cadets before Space Puppy had the added offensive war alerts feature.

Now, I would not be opposed to an official PnW bot that has these functionalities to limit third-party intervention, but that would be a heavy burden on the already swamped dev team.

As for misrepresenting what you were saying, well that was likely just the result of me misinterpreting parts of what you were saying. And if that was the case, then I do apologize. Because the last thing I want is to put words in people's mouths.

• Upvote 2

Federation of Knox

Enlightened of Chaos, Event Horizon

QA Team and API Team

2 minutes ago, Joe Schmo said:

you do know doing all that stuff manually is a pain in the ass right?

im not sure what stuff you are referring to?

Maybe not directed at you, but for everyone with reading disability.

Im not saying remove everything bots do, i just said remove third party bots and have one main pnw one thats controlled by the owner of the game, remove bot commands that affect the meta and start adding the positive different quality of life changes bots bring into the actual game on the game website.

Again, there is a huge difference between 'delete bots and everything related' and what i just typed above.

If anything its elegant.

1 minute ago, Mars said:

remove bot commands that affect the meta

I suppose a point of confusion for many may be arising from this part. It's evident from your initial post that commands for finding raid targets fall under this category for you. But the question is: what else do you mean by "commands that affect the meta"?

Federation of Knox

QA Team and API Team

37 minutes ago, Jacob Knox said:

I suppose a point of confusion for many may be arising from this part. It's evident from your initial post that commands for finding raid targets fall under this category for you. But the question is: what else do you mean by "commands that affect the meta"?

i dont think commands 'for finding raid targets' fall under that category, im sure both the war system and the raiding meta could be improved in a number of ways, or that you can develop a fun system that has all of those commands but expands the gameplay in some other direction. What i think is that it is not in a good place right now, and i pointed at what i think works against the current setup. To simplify, what im arguing is the relationship between third party bots and the game needs to be revisited, why i think moving from third party to inhouse developed tools would be better and what i have been able to identify as issues with the current system.

I also believe development can go a million different good ways and a million bad ways. I think its a good moment to rethink the approach to development going forward and seriously consider the harder road of not outsourcing this development to third party code, but find ways to engage the community in the development of the actual game and an alex controlled universal and democratical bot that he can fully oversee.

to answer your question specifically, if i had to give an all encompasing defition of 'commands that affect the meta', though i dont think i can deliver on a definition that would do it justice for ALL the issues out there, i would say it comes down to it providing an unfair advantage to those who dont use it or eliminating key steps needed to achieve a goal.

Whats more important then the definition though are its effects, and i would more focus on that. If the effect is you can play the game by not playing the game, theres a problem. If the game involves you taking specific steps towards a goal and the software you are using enables you to skip those by having the bot compile large amounts of  information and extract what you need i would say that falls under commands that affect the meta as well. 

26 minutes ago, Thalmor said:

The dismissive, snarky response to Mars is interesting.

Cant take it that seriously when otherwise respectable and  long standing members of this community like adrienne downvote the post 5 seconds after me posting it. I doubt most of the initial downvotes had the time or will to comprehend and internalise what i typed out and thats fine, this post isnt directed at you.

I understand the knee jerk reaction though, and with the attention and reading comprehension deficit going on in the world these days i cant even blame them.

My hopes are after the initial fight or flight instinct wears off, they will calm down and really read what im saying, maybe we can have a meaningful discussion on it as a community, since i feel thats more important right now then however many downvotes i might or might not get in this thread.  

Main reason why i dont particularly care about downvotes and really wish i get 1000 of them but spark a discussion is because i feel its a good time for a hard reset on how alex handles the relationship between the game and discord, and i feel that with a little bit of inspiration and understanding and with the guts (of course to the extent his time/resources allow) to actually assume responsability over developing these tools under his own oversight, we could be in a better place 6months, year, two years down the line. 

The dev community would also have to change their approach from developing their own tools to helping with development of the game and alex controlled bot, which some might take more satisfaction in, others will not see the merits of working on something that benefits the game at large.

Edited by Mars
  • Upvote 3

@Mars I can see where you are coming from here.

I find it hard to accept that in order for an alliance to be successful in this game they need a full time programmer to run a bot that does almost every task for their alliance. 

Unfortunately, this is because there a lot of menial tasks involved in this game. Such tasks are protecting your bank, auditing members, and recruitment. 

I believe the only way to stop this would be to reduce the games reliance on bots. More in-game tools need to be given to leaders. With the pace that Alex updates this game, I don't see this happening for a long while (if at all).

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 5

20 minutes ago, Kosta said:

@Mars Unfortunately, this is because there a lot of menial tasks involved in this game. Such tasks are protecting your bank, auditing members, and recruitment. 

how do bots even help with any of those? Im just asking because funnily enough you mentioned 3 things i dont even know you could use bots to make them 'less menial'

like protecting bank for sure only requires having an offshore and im not sure how bots are related to that. would like to mention though that the whole offshore system is broken as well, but at least it doesnt rely on bots to work.

auditing members i assume the bot would just pull the nations build and different improvements and stuff? dont think thats even much of an issue, all of that information si already on their nation page. something that can easily be added to an alex bot im sure, though if it was me id remove it just so instead of typing out !audit 'nation id', you would go to pnw.com and simply have a look on their page. not gamebreaking at all though tbh

recruitment, is that recruitment bots? because those are objectively cancerous and should be done away with 100%. Spam is spam

As a side note, every game has tedious aspects people will do away with if given the chance, and i think if you let this process run its course it ends up with one guy one upping everyone by developing a button that does everything, and everyone else doing the same because doing any of the tedious tasks becomes meaningless since theres no stakes involved. 

Also i think im still being misunderstood, im all for making the unnecessary parts that end up being tedious just because of bad game design better through automation, im just against it being done on third party software and think more consideration needs to be given on how those affect the game at large.

Im also saying there needs to be serious reconsideration on whats not making up for bad game design and just automates what should be actual gameplay, which in a text game is a lot of times. going through text and having that inform your future actions.

Edited by Mars
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bots basically penalise anyone trying to become good at the game because any ol average Joe can just input a few commands and achieve the same result.  It helps manage an alliance without a doubt, but the competency of the alliance itself does suffer for it.

• Upvote 4

Untitled.png

34 minutes ago, Charles Bolivar said:

Bots basically penalise anyone trying to become good at the game because any ol average Joe can just input a few commands and achieve the same result.  It helps manage an alliance without a doubt, but the competency of the alliance itself does suffer for it.

I'm going to have to mildly disagree with you here, but qualify that this is simply from what I have seen in the cadets of Aurora (the main ones we have raiding) and with a specific bot (Aurora Space Puppy). I could name a handful of really competent cadets (some of which I have since taken into milcom gov) that I have seen in my time in our milcom department. What set them apart from the rest? The rest just ran the command to find targets, raided them, and often ended up just raiding empty targets or targets that weren't the best. Our most competent cadets, on the other hand, often looked in-game for their targets and spent the time to find good targets. The result? One of them has already achieved almost $1.4 billion looted and his nation is 182 days old. So to say that they can get the same results is not quite the entire truth, at least in my experience.

• Like 1

Federation of Knox

QA Team and API Team

11 minutes ago, Jacob Knox said:

Our most competent cadets, on the other hand, often looked in-game for their targets and spent the time to find good targets. 

ive stated that one individual nation using the bot or not using it is not the issue, or at least it doesnt hint to a larger problem on its own.

but once you have full alliances using the raid bot, the situation is different. why i talked about the meta at large and how it is affected overall.

main idea is that theres a limited pool of potential targets that gets shared between everyone. once you artifically raise the succes rate and ease of access of a large group, competency is less rewarding overall as theres less incentive for it.

Edited by Mars
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bunyip said:

Bots, essentially, heighten the skill floor for bad players and lower the skill ceiling for good players. 

With the recent threads about a returning to the forums, nostalgia for how politics played out then and such... Perhaps bots contributing to laziness is the real enemy all along. 

• Upvote 6

scSqPGJ.gif

22 minutes ago, Jacob Knox said:

I'm going to have to mildly disagree with you here, but qualify that this is simply from what I have seen in the cadets of Aurora (the main ones we have raiding) and with a specific bot (Aurora Space Puppy). I could name a handful of really competent cadets (some of which I have since taken into milcom gov) that I have seen in my time in our milcom department. What set them apart from the rest? The rest just ran the command to find targets, raided them, and often ended up just raiding empty targets or targets that weren't the best. Our most competent cadets, on the other hand, often looked in-game for their targets and spent the time to find good targets. The result? One of them has already achieved almost $1.4 billion looted and his nation is 182 days old. So to say that they can get the same results is not quite the entire truth, at least in my experience.

This is true. I did perhaps over generalise, but again, you also somewhat confirm my point about good players not relying on bots versus average Joes who rely on bots. Take away the bots and these average members would be forced to raise their competency and engagement (or git gud as we used to label it).

Im not arguing for bots to be removed, far from it. I remember trying to run a milcom in the other game in a 900 member alliance with minimal bots and tools at my disposal. It wasn't fun in the slightest. The point I making though is you can notice a definite correlation across alliance memberships when we compare competency levels versus reliance upon bots. We all remember NPO after all whose average members barely knew anything about the various ingame mechanics including both nation building and warring.

• Upvote 1

Untitled.png