Not Being Able to See the Ads of Someone You've Embargoed

Alex

Well let me make it a bit more clear. Pretty much nobody who donates redeems credits for the base rate of $1,000,000 (the exception being during war-time embargoes). They all either use the credits directly for the aesthetic items (VIP/flags/pips/ads) or they sell them on the market. Very few people are going to be making ads if it's just going to result in dozens if not hundreds of people embargoing them (along with all the annoying notifications). Credit demand will drop on the market (I alone probably buy 1/5 to 1/4 of all market credits every month). Donations for credits will follow with the decline in credit prices/demand. Sheepy will make less money. The existing VIP feature will be mostly pointless.

• Upvote 3

Well let me make it a bit more clear. Pretty much nobody who donates redeems credits for the base rate of $1,000,000 (the exception being during war-time embargoes). They all either use the credits directly for the aesthetic items (VIP/flags/pips/ads) or they sell them on the market. Very few people are going to be making ads if it's just going to result in dozens if not hundreds of people embargoing them (along with all the annoying notifications). Credit demand will drop on the market (I alone probably buy 1/5 to 1/4 of all market credits every month). Donations for credits will follow with the decline in credit prices/demand. Sheepy will make less money. The existing VIP feature will be mostly pointless.

Well, I doubt many ads will be blocked, just the annoying ones, so it gives a sense of user quality control.

putin-trump-sig_zps657urhx9.jpg

Giving VIP subscribers a checklist to enable and disable each individual advertisement is a pretty reasonable idea. It isn't fantastically intuitive in general to bind it to trade embargoes, and it doesn't seem like a feature that is too hard to make independent.

Sheepy needs to stop making everything VIP-only, it's just a stupid thing to have pretty much every update only affect people who pay for the game. I have an ad-blocker, but it also blocks out the flags and every other ad, and keeps that ugly blue space, too. Can't us Free-to-Players have anything nice?

If it stinks that much, buy a credit every month with ingame pixels to have VIP. It costs less than 1.5M per month at current prices.

Edited by Hubotz

GET LOANS NOW!

• Wiki Mod

When ads were first implemented I made a case for all or nothing approach. I stand by that still. Further this as an idea undermines the module entirely. The primary point of the AD module is to let you troll & annoy other players hopefully creating some drama along the way. Imagine what the Mensa/Rose ad war would have looked like if we had just ignored each other.

• Upvote 2

23:38 Skable that's why we don't want Rose involved, so we can take the m all for ourselves

23:39 [] but Mensa is the cute girl at the school dance and she's only dancing with us right now to get our friend jealous

23:39 [] If Rose comes in and gives Mensa what she wants, she'll just toss us aside and forget we ever existed

23:39 zombie_lanae yeah I do hope we can keep having them all to ourselves

23:40 zombie_lanae I know it's selfish but I want all their love

6:55 PM <+Isolatar> Praise Dio

Pubstomper|BNC [20:01:55] Rose wouldn't plan a hit on Mensa because it would be &#33;@#&#036;ing stupid

I personally like this idea. 

Sure, you *could* just use an ad-blocker on your browser to block a specific image (thus banning that specific ad). But if this is going to be built into the game mechanics, then I'm for it.

I don't see how cries of "free speech" are valid here. Yes, you have a right to buy ads in-game to spread your message. But people have a right to ignore it as well, a right that's just as valid. It's a good compromise between demands that specific ads go down, and allowing offensive materials to be uploaded.

• Upvote 1
http://i.imgur.com/K3xCRAP.png

• Wiki Mod

Let me rephrase, I'm not claiming free speech, I'm saying the entire point of ads is to harvest butthurt & etears. If those people can just block the ad, then why bother putting it up in the first place.

• Upvote 1

23:38 Skable that's why we don't want Rose involved, so we can take the m all for ourselves

23:39 [] but Mensa is the cute girl at the school dance and she's only dancing with us right now to get our friend jealous

23:39 [] If Rose comes in and gives Mensa what she wants, she'll just toss us aside and forget we ever existed

23:39 zombie_lanae yeah I do hope we can keep having them all to ourselves

23:40 zombie_lanae I know it's selfish but I want all their love

6:55 PM <+Isolatar> Praise Dio

Pubstomper|BNC [20:01:55] Rose wouldn't plan a hit on Mensa because it would be &#33;@#&#036;ing stupid

nah, sheepy

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

Sheepy needs to stop making everything VIP-only, it's just a stupid thing to have pretty much every update only affect people who pay for the game. I have an ad-blocker, but it also blocks out the flags and every other ad, and keeps that ugly blue space, too. Can't us Free-to-Players have anything nice?

Gaaah, you can buy credits on the market, I hate it when people complain about this being pay-to-play game.

• Upvote 1

Humans cannot create anything out of nothingness. Humans cannot accomplish anything without holding onto something. After all, humans are not gods.

Gaaah, you can buy credits on the market, I hate it when people complain about this being pay-to-play game.

And we're paying these millions of dollars to someone who buys them with real money, getting them money they don't deserve. See my point?

putin-trump-sig_zps657urhx9.jpg

It's more of a "only block who you want to" aproach. For example, I'd embargo Princess Bubblegum, because her ads are annoying af, and Mad Max, because his flashing ad gives me a headache whenever I see it.

But PB paid to support the game, and his incentive was to display his ads. Why should you not also have to support the game to remove your ability to see them? It lessens his incentive to continue to support the game if all you could do was embargo him to not see them. If anything, sure, make it so VIP members can pick and choose which ads they want to see similar to how some sites like facebook allow you to block certain ads that you're uninterested in.

Just because you don't want to see someone's ads doesn't necessarily mean you want to cut off all trade with them and vice versa. 

Edited by Samwise
  • Upvote 2

Don't see what the point is to create an ad and pay a credit for it, if everyone just embargos you after seeing it once and then never sees it again. 

The reason you don't want this is because practically the whole game will embargo you.

anigif_enhanced-28973-1444778608-10.gif

Speak for yourself mate. Trump 2016!

Edited by Rozalia
  • Upvote 2

instead of an embargo just make an option to where we can choose the person you don't want to see ads from if its really that offending.

or if these trumps ads are really really offending to some people, they could just simply ignore the ads and not pay attention to them. There is that option too but its must be to hard for some people...

I had a thought that I'd like to open up for everyone to discuss here:

What if when you embargoed someone, you no longer saw the advertisements that they posted?

There are pros and cons to this; on one hand it's somewhat stifling of free speech, though you could probably get around that by having someone else post ads for you if you were embargoed.

On the other hand, it would probably make a lot of people happy who don't like particular individuals or their ads. For example, someone who thought all the BK ads (please don't hate me for this, just trying to pick a generic example) were dumb or didn't appreciate the humor in them and didn't want to see them, could embargo Shifty Stranger (who primarily is the one who posts the ads.) They then wouldn't see the BK ads, while everyone else still would, etc.

If enough people all embargoed Shifty Stranger, he might even consider changing his advertisements to something that people found more acceptable in an effort to get un-embargoed.

I realize this probably isn't a perfect solution, but it would be a very simple one and I think would largely solve the conflicts that we're seeing with the Player Advertisements.

Thoughts?

more impressed sheepy knows who we are tbh

Sheepy senpai has noticed...

1d8.jpg

also to all those anti-ayy lmao sentiments:

What the ayy did you just ayying say about me, you little lmao? I’ll have you know I graduated ayy of my lmao in the Ayy Lmaos, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret ayys on L-Mao, and I have over 300 ayy lmaos. I am ayyed in lmao warfare and I’m the top ayy in the entire US armed lmaos. You are nothing to ayy but just another lmao. I will wipe you the ayy out with lmao the ayys of which has never been seen before on this Lmao, mark my ayying lmaos. You think you can get away with saying that ayy to me over the Lmao? Ayy again, lmao. As we speak I am contacting my secret ayy of lmaos across the USA and your ayy is being lmaoed right now so you better ayy for the lmao, maggot. The ayy that lmaos out the pathetic little ayy you call your lmao. You’re &#33;@#&#036;ing ayy, lmao. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can ayy you in over seven hundred lmaos, and that’s just with my ayy lmaos. Not only am I extensively trained in unayyed lmao, but I have access to the entire ayy of the United States Lmao Corps and I will use it to its ayy lmao to wipe your miserable ayy off the face of the lmao, you little shit. If only you could have known what ayy lmao your little “ayy†lmaowas about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your ayying lmao. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re ayying the lmao, you ayy lmao. I will ayy fury all over you and you will lmao in it. You’re ayying dead, lmao.

• Upvote 4

I would only use this on princess bubblegum because I see enough of Trump's fat, ugly, simple minded face already. I'll just stick to adblocking her instead.

• Upvote 1

☾☆

Priest of Dio

just because the Nazis did something doesn't mean it's automatically wrong

But PB paid to support the game, and his incentive was to display his ads. Why should you not also have to support the game to remove your ability to see them? It lessens his incentive to continue to support the game if all you could do was embargo him to not see them. If anything, sure, make it so VIP members can pick and choose which ads they want to see similar to how some sites like facebook allow you to block certain ads that you're uninterested in.

Just because you don't want to see someone's ads doesn't necessarily mean you want to cut off all trade with them and vice versa.

Filing my support for this ^

Players must pay to have their ads displayed. Having to also pay to block ads just makes sense.

xzhPlEh.png?1

Adblocking is free. Just add the specific URL of the filter list. And voila! No more obnoxious ads!

But I will say that as someone who has bought ads in the past (and may do so in the future): I literally do not care if someone embargoes me to avoid seeing my ads. I honestly don't get why people are so aggrieved. What's ironic is that the arguments above (i.e. people paid to have their ads shown!) are literally the same as corporate advertisers who are annoyed at the proliferation of adblocking software, avoiding their paid advertisements. Remove your adblocker, then I'll listen  :v

Seems like a reasonable compromise given the balance between allowing ads to be published, and those are uncomfortable with certain ads with a certain fascist's face. I urge Sheepy to press ahead with this proposal. Wouldn't be the first time he pissed people off with a change z5xrKyD.gif

Edited by Belisarius
http://i.imgur.com/K3xCRAP.png

What's ironic is that the arguments above (i.e. people paid to have their ads shown!) are literally the same as corporate advertisers who are annoyed at the proliferation of adblocking software, avoiding their paid advertisements. Remove your adblocker, then I'll listen  :v

That's cool. But it's not the bottom line of corporate advertisers that's going to hurt. It's Sheepy's bottom line. Really pretty simple: you disincentivize ads, there will be fewer of them. Ads are one of the ways Sheepy generates revenue.

• Upvote 2