7/13/2015 - Espionage Update

Alex

Change #8 - Results Per Page Setting

This is unrelated to the Espionage changes, but I've added a setting available on your Account page to allow you to set the default number of rows that are displayed on various search pages throughout the game. It is currently defaulted to 15, but you can change it to anything between 5 and 50. This is for your convenience.

All spy drama aside, this is really nice.

• Upvote 3

• Administrators

Did you give any consideration to removing the module completely?

If you're one of those people who thinks that spies are now worthless, I guess what I'd recommend is that you just ignore that part of the game. Just because you don't think something, doesn't mean you have to take it away from everyone else.

For example, if you didn't like the Factbook change, and suggested I just remove it entirely because you won't use it, that would just be silly, wouldn't it? Not everyone uses Factbooks, but that doesn't make them worthless. They're very fun, useful parts of the game for many players.

Furthermore, this change isn't about making less people use spies, it's about getting more people to use them. Instead of a small percentage of players with large spy counts being the only ones that use spies, they're more applicable and useful for all players. I think that, in itself, is pretty neat.

Might as well remove the spy leaderboards too.

Yes, I will remove them as an option on the Leaderboards. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

If you're one of those people who thinks that spies are now worthless, I guess what I'd recommend is that you just ignore that part of the game. Just because you don't think something, doesn't mean you have to take it away from everyone else.

For example, if you didn't like the Factbook change, and suggested I just remove it entirely because you won't use it, that would just be silly, wouldn't it? Not everyone uses Factbooks, but that doesn't make them worthless. They're very fun, useful parts of the game for many players.

Furthermore, this change isn't about making less people use spies, it's about getting more people to use them. Instead of a small percentage of players with large spy counts being the only ones that use spies, they're more applicable and useful for all players. I think that, in itself, is pretty neat.

Wow.  Well if that is how you think I meant it...

-signature removed for rules violation-

• Administrators

Oh hey I can still see what my odds are against people.

Yes, you can. I'm aware that that means you can indirectly see how many spies your opponent has. However, this is a minor thing, and I'm working on coming up with a solution to the issue. I don't want to get rid of spy odds, but I also don't want to show how many spies your opponent has.

It may come down to some type of "fuzzing" the odds, so that you don't have an exact idea but you might have a clue on your chances.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Yes, you can. I'm aware that that means you can indirectly see how many spies your opponent has. However, this is a minor thing, and I'm working on coming up with a solution to the issue. I don't want to get rid of spy odds, but I also don't want to show how many spies your opponent has.

It may come down to some type of "fuzzing" the odds, so that you don't have an exact idea but you might have a clue on your chances.

Yeah I'd like to see a range of plus and minus 5 or 10 added to the backend where a random number is picked from that range and used with a tilde on the end. The range isn't actually used, it's just for ubfuscating the odds to the user.

T7Vrilp.png

To be nice. At the very least the spy range is still intact though I feel naturally this will be the next point targeted considering it is pretty much all that is left.

I don't like the narrative of people with high spy count being the only users though or having an unfair advantage. I had a high spy count which was only going to run higher, but that wasn't because I wanted to abuse that fact on people. It was solely so I was "untouchable" even in an outnumbered situation... now the side with less numbers will just get wrecked which favours the big alliances who already dominate in every other aspect already. Is that right? Wrong? Well considering I'd be feeding money into the shredder I think I'd have deserved that... but that doesn't really matter now as it is now done. 

Change #8 - Results Per Page Setting

This is unrelated to the Espionage changes, but I've added a setting available on your Account page to allow you to set the default number of rows that are displayed on various search pages throughout the game. It is currently defaulted to 15, but you can change it to anything between 5 and 50. This is for your convenience.

--

Oh my God best change ever.

• Upvote 4

MR BOOTY IN DA HOUSE

• Administrators

Alright, I've made an update to spy odds so that they're fuzzed. That should now make spy counts completely "hidden". I've also made it so a "Gather Intelligence" operation tells you how many spies your opponent has.

Forums Rules | Game Link

Great imput. Really helpful.

Really love this update. o/ Sheepy

I'm not sure what you're trying to say, it's not like his opinion/thoughts mattered even if they were constructive. 

The change has happened is going to stay this way, the community has no say so best to show your disdain in as little words as possible. 

IpHGyGc.png

I'm not sure what you're trying to say, it's not like his opinion/thoughts mattered even if they were constructive. 

Just saying "this is annoying" isn't helpful to what he doesn't like. 

dpluao815a3.png

Alright, I've made an update to spy odds so that they're fuzzed. That should now make spy counts completely "hidden". I've also made it so a "Gather Intelligence" operation tells you how many spies your opponent has.

God damn it. I was just making a calculator to determine how many spies someone had.

Anyway, I like the update and the decision to keep the spy range.

• Upvote 1

[22:37:51] <&Yosodog> Problem is, everyone is too busy deciding which top gun character they are that no decision has been made

BK in a nutshell

That's obviously what you're attempting do, but the opposite will now happen. All that will happen now is more people will buy spies till they get 50 and never touch them again, because they are no longer applicable or useful in anyway other than defense. Unless you now reduce spy op costs the system is now forever broken.

Edited by Conroy
  • Upvote 1

LordRahl2, on 10 Jul 2015 - 5:53 PM, said: "Imagine it. Lets say that Sheepy had an idea that was at lest questionable. As a way out there idea lets say he thought about adding T-Rexs to the game in some way." "As you know this is hypothetical since Sheepy has never considered adding T-Rexs to the game."

• Administrators

That's obviously what you're attempting do, but the opposite will now happen. All that will happen now is more people will buy spies till they get 50 and never touch them again, because they are no longer applicable or useful in anyway other than defense. Unless you now reduce spy op costs the system is now forever broken.

I'm not sure if you read the update, but I already reduced them by half. It's now $5,000/spy instead of $10,000.

Forums Rules | Game Link

• Administrators

Well I asked a simple question and got jumped on.

I just answered your question.

I assume you meant why didn't I remove spies from the game entirely? And I replied as to why I didn't.

Can I default to search for 130, because that would be really convenient.

Nope, it's set at a cap of 50 to decrease server load. You really wouldn't want 130 for every single result, would you?

Forums Rules | Game Link

• Jax locked this topic