5/3/2015 - Issues with Generated Money

Alex

Another possible solution would be for Sheepy to simply roll back the market itself four days, and then advance the game four days, those who exploited the code would probably be left with prodigious sums of negative money, but that only seems fair. 

• Upvote 2

Sounds fair, but people sent out money, and others converted their funds to infrastructure, and others received money instead of sending it out. The end result may be that a few people have tons of negative money, but tons of resources as well, a few others might have tons of resources / infrastructure for no money, and some people might have tons of negative money and little to show for it.

If your code sucks it's not the fault of the users for finding out that the code sucks. And as I've said before, exploits many times occupy a grey area between creativity and degeneracy; it's the players' job to find optimal strategies and if the optimal strategy is gamebreaking, why punish them for that?

And this justifies exploiting the shit out of the game?

Wow everyone here owes an apology to Abbas

• Upvote 1
UedhRvY.png

My alliance has only been around a few days, as have all of the members. It would be an awful idea to do this. The simple fact is that a couple of days does not massively affect anyone in terms of the game, but this will cause great frustration among people who have just started when they have to go back to the beginning. On behalf of the Charming Friends alliance, we object.

Sorry, but this is wrong. People have been MASSIVELY exploiting, possibly for a lot longer than we know.

A rollback is the least of what should happen.

And this justifies exploiting the !@#$ out of the game?

Wow everyone here owes an apology to Abbas

Define an exploit. I would actually categorize the infinite money glitch as essentially game breaking, but at the same time tons of run-of-the-mill tactics could be considered exploits. If I were running things I would, first, put out a policy that if you're the first to discover an exploit, you should report it to us. If it's considered degenerate, we will give you credits for it, if it's not considered degenerate, you'll get an approval for using it. Next, I'd go shake down Pol Pot and threaten him with banning unless he explains what his trick was.

If you run a business, you cannot spend most of your time blaming the consumer; one of the first things they teach you in business school is that the Customer Is King. Half the users here playing the game are customers, meaning that they pay Sheepy money to keep the server running and to help finance costs of running PnW. The other half are product, meaning they keep the customers happy and keep the customers entertained. If either side is unhappy the customers will stop paying.

It's much too big not to do a rollback. I expect Sheepy can find out how long people have been exploiting it so he knows how far to roll back to. I'm sure it'll also be easy for him to find the people who've used this exploit, and ban them.

6hu5nt.jpg

The other thing that Sheepy can do is to just immediately reset the game, with considerations and compensation for new players. He can announce out that using anything that resembles the infinite resources exploit can be grounds for deletion, suspension, or banning, and that players should try not to push the boundaries until the exploit has been discovered and patched. Meanwhile, that would give Sheepy time to get into contact with Pol Pot and figure out what went wrong, and if he refuses to cooperate, Sheepy could put out an open bounty for the exploit so the game can be patched and the game can be put back to normal operation.

That's what I'd do, but it's Sheepy's game. :)

Define an exploit. I would actually categorize the infinite money glitch as essentially game breaking, but at the same time tons of run-of-the-mill tactics could be considered exploits.

I don't know how to define an exploit but I know it when I see it.

This is an exploit.

-signature removed for rules violation-

Does anyone have any kind of idea just how long it will take to get things up and running ? :/ I wanna try to convince my members to stay even in the event of a roll back. 

Neitz ^.^'

~ m r . s k e l t a l ~ Madame Galactic Overlord Nietzschelloo, Leader of the Charming Friends Alliance

doot doot. thank.

2jc8ujc.png

So the game clock was stopped? Cuz it says in the revenue log i made money and resources...but neither is true...is this part of the bug...or did sheepy do this manually?

The game clock has not been stopped, but the market is frozen. 

The game clock has not been stopped, but the market is frozen. 

game clock wasn't necessarily stopped - but per my revenue records i didn't make any money/resources at the turn 19 minutes ago. 

game clock wasn't necessarily stopped - but per my revenue records i didn't make any money/resources at the turn 19 minutes ago. 

I am still receiving revenue on my end. Perhaps you have purchased from the market or otherwise were effected by the bug.

It may also not be possible to fix the game without a roll back to a point where the bug was not used. The money has already been dispersed in the game, in ways we probably don't even realize, if we just reset some of the people we know about that doesn't solve the problem of there being generated money existing in the game and giving some alliances or players an unfair advantage if they possess it.

And Phiney's right, a few days isn't going to kill you.

Adama is correct in saying that the cash has been dispersed in ways we haven't realized. Just look at Pol pots trade history, he has been messing with the market ALL week by purchasing resources at high prices. I think a roll back a few days would be the only way to fix this

Adama is correct in saying that the cash has been dispersed in ways we haven't realized. Just look at Pol pots trade history, he has been messing with the market ALL week by purchasing resources at high prices. I think a roll back a few days would be the only way to fix this

It's funny that you're one of those who've been be benefitting from Pol Pot and now are talking about just a roll back a few days. No it should be rolled back to the first time it was noticeably used at the very least.

Every single person who's been trading with Pol Pot and Ford for ridiculous amounts of money and PPUs, who didn't report it should be reset and/or banned.

If your code sucks it's not the fault of the users for finding out that the code sucks. And as I've said before, exploits many times occupy a grey area between creativity and degeneracy; it's the players' job to find optimal strategies and if the optimal strategy is gamebreaking, why punish them for that?

Because it's cheating. WTF kind of question is this? Stop being obtuse.

Define an exploit. I would actually categorize the infinite money glitch as essentially game breaking, but at the same time tons of run-of-the-mill tactics could be considered exploits. If I were running things I would, first, put out a policy that if you're the first to discover an exploit, you should report it to us. If it's considered degenerate, we will give you credits for it, if it's not considered degenerate, you'll get an approval for using it. Next, I'd go shake down Pol Pot and threaten him with banning unless he explains what his trick was.

If you run a business, you cannot spend most of your time blaming the consumer; one of the first things they teach you in business school is that the Customer Is King. Half the users here playing the game are customers, meaning that they pay Sheepy money to keep the server running and to help finance costs of running PnW. The other half are product, meaning they keep the customers happy and keep the customers entertained. If either side is unhappy the customers will stop paying.

Exploit:

In video games, an exploit is the use of a bug or glitches, game system, rates, hit boxes, or speed, etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game's designers.

And good luck getting anything out of "Pol Pot". If he won't tell me, he sure as !@#$ won't tell Sheepy or anyone else who doesn't want to destroy the game. He also isn't going anywhere if he gets banned.

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

<Jroc> I heard \ is an anagram of cocaine
<\> I can't be rearranged into a line, I already am a line.

--Foxburo Wiki--