12/24/2014 - New Site Design

Alex

Again, I'm on an iPhone 5, which one could argue is outdated now (but one shouldn't, because as far as I'm concerned, the iPhone 6 is more tablet than mobile), but there are still a lot of people using it, so this could be a serious shortcoming of the new design, especially considering that one of its primary purposes was to be mobile-friendly.

My experience is the same as Dietrich's using the iPhone 5. 

That's a makeshift solution to a structural problem with the design. Again, the functionality is not impaired in this particular case; I can navigate the mobile Messages page without trouble, but that doesn't make the design acceptable or appealing.

The fundamental issue at hand here is that this new design is supposed to be a permanent improvement. If the default response to problems with the design is not to solve them but to insist that it's still possible to use the site despite them, then the design should be scrapped entirely. I don't think that the design should be scrapped entirely. If Sheepy trusts you to improve the site's design, then who am I to object? My only concern is that various problems are arising, and they are being waved away as inconsequential when they are in fact very consequential.

The issue is tables and small screen sizes. There are solutions, but with lots of data, they arnt hugely great. When using the site on mobile before, personally I would first zoom in, then scroll sideways to use the site. This may not be ideal, but at least cuts out the zooming and awkward sized links. If you have a better idea feel free to suggest it though.

Trust me, I am very much not waving away problems, but they are stuff I have thought about before, not new issues to me. As for the bugs, I am of the opinion the design changes shouldn't have been released prior to further testing as very little was done on numerous pages but that is neither here nor there now and we are working to fix things and improve the mobile view, so on that front thank you for the screenshots.

Edited by Phiney
T7Vrilp.png

The issue is tables and small screen sizes. There are solutions, but with lots of data, they arnt hugely great. When using the site on mobile before, personally I would first zoom in, then scroll sideways to use the site. This may not be ideal, but at least cuts out the zooming and awkward sized links. If you have a better idea feel free to suggest it though.

Trust me, I am very much not waving away problems, but they are stuff I have thought about before, not new issues to me. As for the bugs, I am of the opinion the design changes shouldn't have been released prior to further testing as very little was done on numerous pages but that is neither here nor there now and we are working to fix things and improve the mobile view, so on that front thank you for the screenshots.

I can't contribute on the technical front, as I my knowledge of programming and whatnot is limited to a few Web Design classes several years ago, but if it's being worked on, that's enough for now as far as I'm concerned, I suppose.

I have been patient trying to relearn how to play this game with the new and "improved" web site.

First of all, I'm a mobile only player. If this was to make mobile easier, it's an epic fail. This game is barely playable now. There are so many problems, I don't know where to start. Might review the back pages of other peoples problems. Is there a way to get it where the text actually shows up on screen? When the text runs off the screen in mid sentence, and you can't scroll over to see what it says, makes this unusable. If I were a new player and this happened, I would look for something else.

Your number one goal should be to get this fixed where it is functional. Too much of this game is now unavailable to me.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way. I only want to be able to play again.

• Administrators

I have been patient trying to relearn how to play this game with the new and "improved" web site.

First of all, I'm a mobile only player. If this was to make mobile easier, it's an epic fail. This game is barely playable now. There are so many problems, I don't know where to start. Might review the back pages of other peoples problems. Is there a way to get it where the text actually shows up on screen? When the text runs off the screen in mid sentence, and you can't scroll over to see what it says, makes this unusable. If I were a new player and this happened, I would look for something else.

Your number one goal should be to get this fixed where it is functional. Too much of this game is now unavailable to me.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way. I only want to be able to play again.

What pages cause the text to run off horizontally? There are definitely improvements that still need to be made, but I think we've made a big step in the right direction with the new design.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

• Administrators

The sidebar doesn't appear on my phone (some kind of HTC on W8 in IE)

The sidebar should be available via a navicon in the top left corner of the site.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

The sidebar should be available via a navicon in the top left corner of the site.

This.  It threw me at first, but then I was like "hey, what are these little lines up here for?"  Voila! 

Overall, I prefer the new design on both pc and mobile.  I do have to switch to landscape view on my phone or some info is cut off on the left hand side, but I think I can manage to turn my phone 90°.

There is one thing I noticed in both the old and new design, so I'm thinking it may be my phone, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced it.  I can't sell off military or anything, for that matter.  When the keyboard pops up, it has the numbers, but no symbols, therefore no minus sign.

c3Ct0v4.png

• Administrators

This.  It threw me at first, but then I was like "hey, what are these little lines up here for?"  Voila! 

Overall, I prefer the new design on both pc and mobile.  I do have to switch to landscape view on my phone or some info is cut off on the left hand side, but I think I can manage to turn my phone 90°.

There is one thing I noticed in both the old and new design, so I'm thinking it may be my phone, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced it.  I can't sell off military or anything, for that matter.  When the keyboard pops up, it has the numbers, but no symbols, therefore no minus sign.

That's strange, it might just be how your mobile browser is interpreting the input. I'll change Soldiers from a number to a text and let me know if that fixes it.

Forums Rules | Game Link

That's strange, it might just be how your mobile browser is interpreting the input. I'll change Soldiers from a number to a text and let me know if that fixes it.

That did it! Thanks, Sheepy. Can you do the same for all military units?

c3Ct0v4.png

• Administrators

That did it! Thanks, Sheepy. Can you do the same for all military units?

Yes, I can.

Forums Rules | Game Link

I love how purple and pink my Infrastructure and Cities look on my score piechart now. My nation display page is fabulous. And I love it.

• Upvote 2

• Administrators

I see you've changed some of the icons for the resources.  So when are you going to get around to making it so we can actually see our resources?

I've been tinkering with it, and I'm not sure what you mean? Are you having an issue not being able to see your resources?

I'm aware that there was an error on Safari where about half of them got cut off, but I had that fixed pretty quickly. Here's a screenshot of the site fully functional in Safari on my PC:

v8AoW.jpg

If you are using Safari, try a hard refresh with F5 or a Mac command (I don't know what one exactly). If you're talking about a different issue entirely, please fill me in as I'm unaware.

Forums Rules | Game Link

it would actually be more fitting if the icon was a yellow cake.

Yeah, it would be cool if the game showed actual pitchblende, considering that the other resources look accurate. Maybe some silvery uranium bars sheathed in the blue glow of Cherenkov radiation would be awesome, too.

Also, the new non-cabbage icon is hilarious to me as a former Tekkit player.

If you are using Safari, try a hard refresh with F5 or a Mac command (I don't know what one exactly). If you're talking about a different issue entirely, please fill me in as I'm unaware.

I believe the prompt you are looking for is Killall Dock (entered in the Mac terminal)

Edited by kimjongil

The many forms of proof regarding Kastor's sexuality:

- Kastor: I already came out the closet.

- MaIone: I'm gay

* MaIone is now known as Kastor

- Henri: i'm a !@#$it

Skable: the !@#$ is a codo?

420kekscope.jpg

• Administrators

I use Firefox.  This is what my screen looks like:

524nymo.png

I can only see part of the first digit of my aluminum and nothing of my food or money.

I was unaware of this issue. You've tried a hard F5 refresh?

Edited by Sheepy
I'm guessing the F5 refresh is going to fix it, because you're also seeing some old icons.

Forums Rules | Game Link

• Administrators

I took the screenshot before you changed the icons again.  Ctrl+F5 doesn't fix it.

I'll have to download Firefox and find a fix for the issue. Sorry about that, I never thought that firefox would be having this issue, it's a pretty modern browser.

Forums Rules | Game Link

I can no longer access the menu options on my phone :( stuck on view nation page and anything I can reach from there without having access to the menu. D:

1x Gentleman of Economics @ TSG

1x Leader @ TSG

1x Minister of Prosperity @ TEL

1x Adviser @ TEL

First Recipient of the Order of the Jarl @ TEL - Honoring service to the alliance.

1x Associate @ tS

• Jax locked this topic