Lent

Lannan13

Greetings Politics and War, Today is Ash Wednesday, and the beginning of the Roman Catholic season of Lent. It is traditional for Catholics to give up something for Lent and to fast to symbolize Jesus's 40 days in the desert. So for the Catholics on P&W, what have you given up this year?

Tiocfaidh ár lá

=Censored by Politics and War Moderation team=

s6McZGm.jpg?1

Not just Catholics. All of the traditional churches have the time of lent.

I've personally given up giving up things for lent. Lent is a time o preparation for Pasg. This year I am going to try and make it a serious time of prayer and reflection, which fits in much more with the origins of the Lenten fast.

• Upvote 3

Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest

• Administrators

Not just Catholics. All of the traditional churches have the time of lent.

I've personally given up giving up things for lent. Lent is a time o preparation for Pasg. This year I am going to try and make it a serious time of prayer and reflection, which fits in much more with the origins of the Lenten fast.

I've never been very disciplined in my observation of lent, but I prefer this form of observance over "I'll give up candy for 40 days."

• Upvote 3

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

I'm areligious and still follow Lent.

For my period I'll be abstaining from alcohol, giving up the excuses that keep me from finishing my work, and volunteering to help the homeless get marketable skills and literacy at the local shelter nearby.

• Upvote 1

120209800_meirl2.png.0a9b257b4d3e0c1ac6d6b8be8184cba7.png

why is 40 days so important? The seal of prophethood Muhammad lived for 63 years in the desert and was constantly attacked by pagans surrounding him. 

• Upvote 1

Caliph of The Caliphate of Arabia. Caliph of the Islamic State of Arabia. Principle of The Principality of Chechnya. Grand Emir of The Emirate of The Caucus. Emperor of the Empire of Persia. Sultan of The Sultanates of Turkey and The Crimea. Czar of the Tsardom of The Balkans. Archon of The Archonate of Greece. Supreme Consul of The Consulate of Italy. Shah of The Shahdom Of Khorason

why is 40 days so important? The seal of prophethood Muhammad lived for 63 years in the desert and was constantly attacked by pagans surrounding him. 

Nobody cares about Muhammad. Also you forgot to say pbuh, you're a shit muslim. Muhammad lived in the desert because nobody wanted him anywhere good, not through choice. He was the 7th century version of...well the same goat herders who live in the area today.

ATB_bedouin11.jpg

• Upvote 3

☾☆

Priest of Dio

just because the Nazis did something doesn't mean it's automatically wrong

Nobody cares about Muhammad. Also you forgot to say pbuh, you're a shit muslim. Muhammad lived in the desert because nobody wanted him anywhere good, not through choice. He was the 7th century version of...well the same goat herders who live in the area today.

ATB_bedouin11.jpg

every prophet has been a shepherd you islamophobe 

Caliph of The Caliphate of Arabia. Caliph of the Islamic State of Arabia. Principle of The Principality of Chechnya. Grand Emir of The Emirate of The Caucus. Emperor of the Empire of Persia. Sultan of The Sultanates of Turkey and The Crimea. Czar of the Tsardom of The Balkans. Archon of The Archonate of Greece. Supreme Consul of The Consulate of Italy. Shah of The Shahdom Of Khorason

You can't accuse anyone of being an anything-phobe, the amount of pre-pubescent rage you vent on these forums. My advice is to take a chill pill, try not to relate everything back to Islam, speak to a sensible imam and forstall the inevitable uncomfortable detention in an Mi5 holding cell whilst they waterboard information out of you about just why you bought all those bottles of bleach.

anigif_optimized-12296-1434535247-2.gif

• Upvote 3

☾☆

Priest of Dio

He must of been thin, fasting for 63 years.....

Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest

What about we all give up in the war?  :P

(And for all the Mensa trolls, I would like to clarify this is a (bad) joke.)

Edited by greatkitteh

:sheepy:  :sheepy:  :sheepy:  :sheepy:               :sheepy:              :sheepy: :sheepy: :sheepy: :sheepy:

Greatkitteh was here.-

Oh look a shinny object. 

Tiocfaidh ár lá

=Censored by Politics and War Moderation team=

s6McZGm.jpg?1

He must of been thin, fasting for 63 years.....

he barely had any food. 

Orthodox Christians give up meat, dairy and oil for Lent. Not many Catholics can do this.

Not many orthodox do this either to be fair.

Also becoming vegan for 40 days isn't super impressive since millions of people do this all year round for fun.

• Upvote 2

☾☆

Priest of Dio

Staying in your own threads for !@#$ sake. Or at least stay on topic.

I want to know what's so special about Jesus fasting for forty days

I want to know what's so special about Jesus fasting for forty days

Go read the Bible then fool.

40 days isn't a literal number, it's something repeated through the Bible as being symbolic of a time of struggle.

http://www.ecclesia.org/truth/40.html

Secondly, fasting isn't a competitive sport. It isn't like Jesus was out to prove he could go without food and water for the longest. He can walk on water and make fish and wine appear out of nothing.

He went to the desert (he was driven by the holy spirit) to prepare himself for the task ahead, in the same way as others before him. He was a man and suffered the weakness and temptations of man, and overcame them.

I could go on for ages but in short:

1. It was an echo of the forty years the Jews spent in the wilderness after moses led them from Egypt

2. It was a chance for him to reflect upon the mission given to him, which ultimately led to his painful death

3. It allowed him to reject the temptation to use his power for selfish purpose and to dedicate himself to his father's will and purpose.

Any more Islamic bullshit please take it to another thread.

Edited by Spite
  • Upvote 1

☾☆

Priest of Dio