Is it a real job?

Dwemyrn

It depends on what you consider a "real job".

I work up at a Boy Scout camp during the summer as their Nature Director. It doesn't pay much, but it's worth it for the experience. Let's say, hypothetically, that I teach at a high school as well during the school year. Some may consider my teaching a "real job", but not my summer camp job.

Consider Sheepy, even. Is his ownership of P&W a "real job"? A "part-time job"? A "hobby"?

To me, in the specific case of YouTube - if you get make enough money from it that you have an arguably livable wage, it's totally a real job. If it doesn't pay at all, or only a minor amount like my summer job, it's more something like a part-time job or a hobby.

Hooray for terminology! \o/

• Upvote 1
xzhPlEh.png?1

The real question is should it be a real job?

Of course it should. Many full-time YouTube channels provide quality news, education, or entertainment. I honestly don't even have a need for cable or satellite TV anymore, for example, because the grand majority of my interests are available through a far more accessible and flexible medium - YouTube. Edited by Kurdanak
  • Upvote 2
xzhPlEh.png?1

It really depends on your definition of "job." I'd say P&W right now is a own-my-own-business type operation, where obviously I get to set my own hours and work schedule and have complete control over everything. I normally don't put a 40 hour work week into it, sitting at my computer coding/administrating, but I certainly spend at least a couple hours a day checking on things, processing requests, visiting the forums and IRC, and then plenty of hours outside of that time at my computer thinking about the game and what can be done to improve it.

For me, though, this is kind of a hobby. At least, that's how I think about it to myself. (For the most part) I really enjoy what I do, and it feels like a fun thing not like work. Now sometimes, (for example - when people get access to the database) when I'm scrambling to fix a pressing issue, it feels like work. And that is very stressful, and sucks a lot. Luckily, most of the time things aren't like that, and shouldn't be for the foreseeable future.

Not many people realize how much work you do.

I definitely think YouTube is a real job, I've learned more from the internet and YouTube than I have from school. I do spend most of my time on YouTube watching entertaining videos more than educational ones, but even entertaining videos can teach you life lessons.

I think a job is really anything that can earn you money, even if it isn't enough to sustain you.

If I work on learning how to make a video game and I am not earning cash for it, then I would consider that a hobby.

Well I will kinda retract what I said a little.

Over 4 years on YouTube and only striking a few thousand views on an occasional video I have earned about 50$ through AdSense, the fact that I have made so little and only make videos every 3 months or so then I would probably consider it a 'Jobbie' which I thought I made up but apparently I didn't.

It would be hobby from which I earn minuscule cash from, my point is, yes it is a job.

"what cannot be settled by experiment is not worth debating"

• 2 weeks later...

If you get paid, and you can afford food and whatnot, then yes I can say it is. It's like being an actor I guess.

We have seized the means of production. Though union, and self-governance, we have organized between all peoples of the land.

• 2 weeks later...

Sure it is. The content creator offers a service that falls in the category of entertainment and there are people willing to spend time consuming this type of content. Youtube and the content creator are getting paid through ads.

If I may redirect the topic of this, now that we have addressed the main topic. What is everyone's opinions on YouTube red, and putting ads on your videos to make cash? Another question is; are you a douche if you had adblock on while you're on youtube?

:wub: -removed by thor- :wub:

If I may redirect the topic of this, now that we have addressed the main topic. What is everyone's opinions on YouTube red, and putting ads on your videos to make cash? Another question is; are you a douche if you had adblock on while you're on youtube?

YouTube Red is stupid, and I use AdBlock... Probably a douche.

putin-trump-sig_zps657urhx9.jpg