Should Player Ads Be Shown 100% of the Time? (Important Poll!)

Alex

Ad Survey #2  

189 members have voted

1. 1. Should Ads be Shown 100% of the Time?

• Yes, I want things to stay put on each page and not get randomly bumped lower
    • No, I like that sometimes I don't have to put up with an ad
  2. 2. Should there be an option to disable ads?

• Yes. Everyone should be able to turn off player ads
    • Yes, but only VIP members should have this option. It'll encourage more people to buy VIP
    • No, they're for everyone so everyone should get to see them
  3. 3. Does the changing content position bother you?

• Yes, when ads bump the rest of the page down, it frustrates me
    • It was frustrating at first, but it doesn't bother me now
    • No, I never had an issue with it

• Administrators

I'm just looking to survey everyone for more information. Basically, what I'm considering is turning on ads to display 100% of the time for content position consistency (although some ads are text and varying heights, the images are all 150 pixels high max). It wouldn't be perfect, but it would be more consistent than it is currently.

Ads so far aren't averaging 10,000 views/day or whatever that they're allocated (7 days, 70,000 views). It's more like 1-2K views per day. Increasing consistency to 100% would increase view count on ads, which would be good for advertisers.

Adding an option to turn ads off would help players that are frustrated/unhappy with the advertisements, as well as keep people who are using AdBlock, etc. to block them already from counting as views.

Or, if they're working okay as they are currently, I'm okay with leaving them too. That's what this poll is all about. Thanks for your feedback, everyone!

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Enabling the ads to be displayed all of the time ( without choice to disable it ) would be a terrible decision.

Edited by Saru
  • Upvote 3

200px-UPN.svg.png

Second in Command of UPN

• Administrators

Enabling the ads to be displayed all of the time ( without choice to disable it ) would be a terrible decision.

If it's not at the top, then it won't be seen. Who actually scrolls to the bottom each time?

I agree with you both.

make them pay 1 credit per month to disable player ads.

I think people would just use AdBlock instead of paying $6 to disable ads. Effectively the same thing could be done if it were a VIP only thing, though, and I think people might actually buy the VIP because they get the other benefits as well.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Yes, please either display them 100% of the time, or give the option to turn them off, I really don't care which. I don't mind the ads at all, but getting bumped around all the time can be really annoying.

• Upvote 1

Display 100% of the time, with the option to turn it off for VIP members. I've never really been bothered by the shifting of everything else by the ad, and if they're displayed 100% of the time it'll be consistent. Anyone complaining about the shifting of stuff, post-this update, is just looking for something extra to !@#$ about, in my mind.

Edited by Kurdanak
xzhPlEh.png?1

Making Player ads appear 100% of the time will allow them to be actually useful recruitment tools, because at this point in time, with the current odds, a new nation may not ever see a recruitment ad.

• Upvote 1

I find the moving down of the stuff on my page every now and again a few inches to really disrupt my play style and more importantly my life. I really question the vitality of the game when this happens, and rather or not I want to continue playing with such a dynamic change to the games mechanics. The impact this has had on my life has really made me question even my own integrity as well. Please Sheepy, don't make me suffer any longer, stop slightly moving the blocs of text on my nation pages. It hurts.

(This is what it sounds like to me when people complain about content on the page moving down. It's not a big deal, seriously.)

I say add the option for VIP members to turn off the ads, this way credits for ad usage and VIP usage keep going up to support the game.

Just want to point out that this is such an incredibly terrible attitude to have towards user experience decisions and you are basically undermining a whole industry, so good job.

T7Vrilp.png

• Wiki Mod

Okay, three things that are tangentially related..

1. So that there is incentive to use targeted advertising, you should add a mechanic that makes the targeted audience receive said ad more often then the none targeted ads.

2. Add a page that shows every ad currently going & basic info.

3. If people are going to opt out of seeing ads they should also not be allowed to make them. I personally feel that if your not going to participate on one side of this you should be able to on the other.

• Upvote 3

23:38 Skable that's why we don't want Rose involved, so we can take the m all for ourselves

23:39 [] but Mensa is the cute girl at the school dance and she's only dancing with us right now to get our friend jealous

23:39 [] If Rose comes in and gives Mensa what she wants, she'll just toss us aside and forget we ever existed

23:39 zombie_lanae yeah I do hope we can keep having them all to ourselves

23:40 zombie_lanae I know it's selfish but I want all their love

6:55 PM <+Isolatar> Praise Dio

Pubstomper|BNC [20:01:55] Rose wouldn't plan a hit on Mensa because it would be &#33;@#&#036;ing stupid

I *hate* pages that unpredictably move around.  I move my cursor with muscle memory when navigating around my nation's pages.  When ads suddenly pop up and shift everything around, I end up clicking on stuff I didn't want to.  It really pisses me off cause of the added step and wait of navigating back and trying again.

• Administrators

Okay, three things that are tangentially related..

1. So that there is incentive to use targeted advertising, you should add a mechanic that makes the targeted audience receive said ad more often then the none targeted ads.

2. Add a page that shows every ad currently going & basic info.

3. If people are going to opt out of seeing ads they should also not be allowed to make them. I personally feel that if your not going to participate on one side of this you should be able to on the other.

2. Already exists. See the Advertisements page under World. As for 3, I think that's a little silly. I don't know why you shouldn't be able to put out ads and then disable seeing them.

I *hate* pages that unpredictably move around.  I move my cursor with muscle memory when navigating around my nation's pages.  When ads suddenly pop up and shift everything around, I end up clicking on stuff I didn't want to.  It really pisses me off cause of the added step and wait of navigating back and trying again.

The new change should mostly prevent that from happening anymore.

Forums Rules | Game Link

The only thing I don't really like sheepy is that people have made anti-ads. Some bad looking ones at that. Recruitment ads are fine but the one about child outsourcing to prevent a guy from making Art for other players is kinda stupid. But I get you want everyone to have the ability to make an ad no matter the type. But do you screen the ads before releasing them?

Fire is nice eh?

I don't mind the fact that they are there, they are just...big. Because they are so big, they are extremely intrusive and I honestly find my nation page annoying to look at now. 

Maybe they would be better suited at the bottom of the page?

Edited by Impero
  • Upvote 1

Lord of the Viridian Entente

imperosig.png

I don't mind the fact that they are there, they are just...big. Because they are so big, they are extremely intrusive and I honestly find my nation page annoying to look at now. 

Maybe they would be better suited at the bottom of the page?

Really I feel they add to the culture of the game. I mean it's in-game Advertisements. It's not product placement.

• Upvote 1

Fire is nice eh?

Really I feel they add to the culture of the game. I mean it's in-game Advertisements. It's not product placement.

They can add to the culture less annoyingly though. 

• Upvote 2

Lord of the Viridian Entente

imperosig.png

I'd say just put the ads at the bottom of the page. And can there be some sort of standard when allowing these ads. A majority of them are just crap that were created in Microsoft Paint.

that defeats the purpose entirely

I do get what you mean some are just plain ugly and people are making them that way on purpose. But they don't annoy me. I just feel people are going to be stupid(Even when they are generally intelligent) just to be stupid and there is nothing you can do about it. I mean as much as I hate Dioism, Mensa's ad actually looks good. Then you have some that look like a five year old made them. If I ever put an ad up it's going to be pleasant to look at.

Fire is nice eh?

What would you rather prefer, these adverts created by the community or an ad for primark clothes?

Edited by Isolatar