Game Development Discussion: Superiorities Feedback

Village

Game Development Discussion: Superiorities Feedback (PLEASE READ THE POST FIRST)  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the proposed superiority changes as they are? (PLEASE READ THE POST FIRST)

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What do you think of Replacement Idea 1 (Army value modifier)? (PLEASE READ THE POST FIRST)

• I like it as is
    • I like the concept but would like to see some refinements (comment below!)
    • I don't like the idea (comment below as to why!)
  3. 3. What do you think of Replacement Idea 2 (Nerfed superiorities)? (PLEASE READ THE POST FIRST)

• I like it as is
  4. 4. What do you think of Modification Idea 1 (Only for larger nations)? (PLEASE READ THE POST FIRST)

• I like it as is

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/02/23 at 04:00 PM

For the Modification Idea, I think it would be wise to do balancing through changing attack success/casualty percentages like Replacement Idea 1 does, rather than having a difference in war mechanics depending on city count.

• Like 1

Take no comment seriously

2 minutes ago, Village said:

Replacement Idea 1: Army value modifier

Simply put, this idea aims to even the playing field across city counts and enable smaller nations to have a better ability to fight back by facing opponents with a proportionally smaller army value.

This proposal is to take the calculated army value (for calculating attack success, not casualties) and raise it to the power of 3/4. I.e. If I have an army value of 1000, my army value is now 1000^(3/4) = 177, and my opponent’s army value goes from 800 to 150.

For casualties, the kills for each unit will be calculated using the formula (the army values here are pre-adjustment to the power of 3/4) ((att army value + def army value) / (att army value ^ (3/4) + def army value ^ (3/4))) * (side army value ^ (3/4)). For example, to calculate attacker kills the side army value would be the attacker’s army value before being adjusted to the power of 3/4. This formula has the effect that it reduces attacker losses and increases defender losses when a smaller military is attacking a larger, and increases attacker losses while reducing defender losses when a larger military is attacking a smaller.

Below we have some data about how this will affect attack odds and casualties:

• Current odds with some key components marked

image.png

• Odds under the new system

image.png

Love this tbh

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Developer
Just now, BettaChecka said:

I believe the nerf to Air Superiority would help however nerfing Ground Control has a lesser effect. If you buff GC you create variation in the meta and require both Ground and Air be controlled for the war to be decided compared to the current meta of controlling Air means you win the war. 

This helps lengthen the deciding portion of the war as it increases the amount of destruction required to "decide" the war by doubling the actions required to gain control over the entire war and is not possible to do within the first few turns post blitz.

That's a good point, I don't think we're gonna end up moving forward with the nerfing idea (the poll is a slaughter 🤣), but I'll be sure to remember this for any future discussions! Making both superiorities more relevant would be amazing, thanks for the feedback! :)

• Developer
Just now, BettaChecka said:

Generally people will vote before even seeing any alterations to ideas :P

Fair enough yeah 🤣. I think we'd rather go with the first idea, but I'll definitely remember this for the future or if we do decide to move forward with the nerfing one in some capacity.

Original Idea:
Not a huge fan of it because it slows the general pace of war and makes ground blitzes pretty bad but I wouldn't be too upset if it makes it to prod.

Replacement idea one:
Interesting for sure but it increases the reliance on RNG way too much for my liking since 2.5x is already quite a lot. In combination with the buff to suiciding (especially suiciding planes with a double buy and dogfighting) it might be a bit much but I haven't run the numbers on how much of a buff it gives to suicide dogfights. probably needs more messing with ranges of guaranteed IT/UF but could be workable with modifications.

Replacement idea two:

I like it a bit more than stages of superiority but I think that air superiority should be a little bit better than 75% effective tanks (maybe 60-70?)

Modification one:

I'm mostly fine with this one but maybe only for when the larger nation is downdeclaring. Makes surprise attacks on unmilled opponents even more devastating.

• Upvote 2

Humans cannot create anything out of nothingness. Humans cannot accomplish anything without holding onto something. After all, humans are not gods.

I voted. 

Should I read the post now? 

only joking. 

I do think that the stages are an okay thing, but it still just makes Air Superiority the end all be all. Ground control as it stands before these changes is just so much weaker now. 

• Upvote 1

big_morph-sig.jpg.dc5493086dfd6fa978316880fe6a6c62.jpg

The Knights Radiant 
Ghostblood Babsk of Foreign Affairs

Journey before Destination.

I find it very funny people are voting for more RNG. I seriously hope it doesn't take a super genius on the design team to realize actually doing that will result in everyone raising pitchforks about it 6 months later because everyone already !@#$es about the RNG that does exist.

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, Village said:

That's a good point, I don't think we're gonna end up moving forward with the nerfing idea (the poll is a slaughter 🤣), but I'll be sure to remember this for any future discussions! Making both superiorities more relevant would be amazing, thanks for the feedback! :)

Don't make a decision so hastily, not even a percent of the active player base has reacted yet.

Also I agree with what was said above, replacement option 1 just leads to game luck deciding your wars. If you want to prolong wars just go with replacement option 2 and make it take longer to kill your opponents instead of letting dice rolls have an even bigger impact.

Edited by Ducc Zucc
  • Upvote 5

We should remove superiorities completely.

My reasoning is simple: The reason there are problems with superiorities is because superiorities are a thing. Removing them will automatically remove all other problems associated with them. Superiorities benefit the larger army. And removing superiorities makes it easier for smaller armies to deal more damage to larger armies. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Zei-Sakura Alsainn said:

I find it very funny people are voting for more RNG. I seriously hope it doesn't take a super genius on the design team to realize actually doing that will result in everyone raising pitchforks about it 6 months later because everyone already !@#$es about the RNG that does exist.

I dont really understand this point? Can you enlighten me?
We arent adding any RNG at all - and we are just changing the chances - so in half of cases it'll benefit you and in half of cases it wont - so what's the issue?

Edited by Unlimited

fourm2.png.cb775498c7f188941c4f54b5ff29f34f.pngfourmthing3.png.0537709b9b8d019542a96c0c23c84b87.png

Just now, Majima Goro said:

We should remove superiorities completely.

My reasoning is simple: The reason there are problems with superiorities is because superiorities are a thing. Removing them will automatically remove all other problems associated with them. Superiorities benefit the larger army. And removing superiorities makes it easier for smaller armies to deal more damage to larger armies. 

I agree with you but the naval superiority should not be removed as It will make the ships useless.

• Upvote 1

Need an abstain for the other 3 because i want to vote no changes alone. The constant changeing of the war system is a development black hole and has been since pnw came out. Every change to it since 2016 has been a net negative that has worsened the game and sucked endless energy from developing new features in favor of the endless revision of making war better. I have said a variation of following comment multiple times over the years and I will post it yet again: No war update will satisfy everyone and revisions only makes things worse as everyone currently playing generally finds the war system acceptable enough to keep playing but any changes to it threatens to push them away and quit when they experience it the following war. The constant loss of older players in government or leadership roles who quit following unpopular war changes has happened since at least the military population update.

No one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to update the war system yet again. You can always just leave it and move onto new features.

• Upvote 2

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

Just now, Malal said:

Need an abstain for the other 3 because i want to vote no changes alone. The constant changeing of the war system is a development black hole and has been since pnw came out. Every change to it since 2016 has been a net negative that has worsened the game and sucked endless energy from developing new features in favor of the endless revision of making war better. I have said a variation of following comment multiple times over the years and I will post it yet again: No war update will satisfy everyone and revisions only makes things worse as everyone currently playing generally finds the war system acceptable enough to keep playing but any changes to it threatens to push them away and quit when they experience it the following war. The constant loss of older players in government or leadership roles who quit following unpopular war changes has happened since at least the military population update.

No one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to update the war system yet again. You can always just leave it and move onto new features.

I'm still in favour of going back to 2019 war mechanics :( 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

[11:52 PM] Prefontaine: But Keegoz is actually bad. [11:52 PM] Prefontaine: He's my favorite bad leader though.

Concerning the army value modifier- no, you should not decrease the advantage of coming into a conflict with a larger military force than the enemy. Firstly, it is unjust. Unless you want to develop a myriad of realistic features like terrain, training, equipment, supply lines that must be maintained, and great generals/leaders that could affect the war's outcome, you must allow the nation with a larger army to have a much greater chance of victory. In terms of how this plays out in the game, keeping tabs on which alliances are milling up and being politically aware so you don't get caught off guard is a vital part of gameplay that should not be detracted from. 

Concerning 2. Nerfing superiorities- I like one aspect of this. In my experience every bitz begins with airstrikes. simply because halving an opponent's tank value is devastating and the planes can't be rebuilt at the pace they're destroyed. changing the amount that air superiority decreases tank value- so that it is not decreased as much as half- would be a beneficial change. But please don't institute two phase superiority. I know it's already on the test server... it has no significant benefits in my opinion, adding it just to make things more complicated is not doing us a favor. 

Modification: only for larger nations 

nyet.

(and no, I am not a "larger nation", most of my wars are updeclares.) 

Interesting ideas. I voted against all of them though. I'll try to keep my thoughts brief:

Superiority changes: I believe the current proposed change will make updeclares/blitzes harder and as a result be bad for the game. The attacker advantage, and superiorities as a result, are powerful tools in bringing down higher city count nations with a standing military. Superiorities are pretty essential for updeclares. They do make downdeclares worse, but they're not the main issue with downdeclares.

• Constructive feedback: Leave superiorities as they are now, potentially nerf air superiority to a smaller percentage than halving tank values. Maybe reduce tank values by 33% instead?

Replacement idea 1: I may just not have understood it, but I don't think it makes sense for smaller armies to suddenly get a boost against larger armies. I also think the math is approaching over-complexity for this game.

• constructive feedback: Rework Fortify to give a better bonus - maybe something like this idea. You could also have fortify reduce the amount of resistance each attack does, basically prolonging a war and occupying a war slot and being annoying.

Replacement Idea 2: I voted no but as you can see above, I think small reductions could be good. Superiorities should be kept fairly strong (in your words: a deciding factor) for my above mentioned reasoning though.

Modification idea 1: This would be a pretty wild nerf to upper tiers to the point of unfairness in my opinion. Changing core mechanics in such a punishing way would be counter-intuitive to enjoyment of the game and fairness to the players. I hate to sound biased but this would disproportionately harm raiders and turn the meta for larger AA's on its head for... seemingly no reason. Whales shouldn't be rendered useless.

The main problems with whales are their disproportionate economic advantage and the domino-effect they cause in large wars. Economics Prefontaine started to address with the food consumption changes and power plant upkeeps. The domino effect actually used to be reversed back in the earlygame of PnW, where large nations would get knocked down into lower tiers when they lost and be able to make a second-round comeback. This was mainly nerfed into the ground with score changes though.

• Constructive feedback: look into infra score changes, more upkeep adjustments, maybe even nerf the nuclear power plants (reduce the amount of infra each one powers), also look into reverting/reworking city score back to 50 or keep it at 75 (I think raising it back to 100 is proposed rn), buffing military score, and completely zeroing project score imo.
Edited by Roberts
  • Upvote 5

• Village unpinned this topic