Umbra DoE

Quelye

Until this point, I have not been a very active participant in the global community. I have lurked in the shadows (pun intended) while others lead. Now, I find myself unhappy with the state of the alliances in the community, and cannot find an alliance that represents the core values that I think are most important. For these reasons I am creating my own, new alliance based on the principles of economy, autonomy, and democracy.

Won1KQu.png

Umbra: The Shadow Alliance

Umbra is going to be different from other alliances for a few very important reasons. First of all, the economy of our nations will be as laissez-faire as possible, meaning that aside from providing basic knowledge on how the game works and how you might want to build your economies, it will be ultimately up to the members themselves to decide how they want to make money. This also means that our tax rate will be as minimal as possible to ensure that each nation can keep and reinvest their profits how they see fit. We will still use money to give aid to smaller nations, but in the more traditional way where larger nations give donations to smaller ones as acts of charity.

Secondly, we shall focus on autonomy as an alliance. Umbra will be as neutral as possible without being a neutral alliance. This means we will sign very few, if any, treaties and during most conflicts (like the one currently happening) we shall remain neutral. Unless our alliance is attacked directly, or we have a very close ally that we are treatied with who is attacked, we do not intend to fight in meaningless wars.

Thirdly, and this part is probably the least unique, we shall focus on democracy. This means that we will hold regular elections where all members shall have a vote and be eligible for every position, including our Commander (top executive) position. This will ensure that Umbra will be an eternal alliance.

For all of these reasons I am forming this alliance, and yes, at this point I am the sole member. However I am hoping that there may be others who seek similar principles as I've outlined who will join me, and soon we'll grow far beyond just my nation.

Our forum link is: http://umbra.freeforums.org/

Feel free to drop by and apply to join or become a diplomat.

Umbra Charter

Preamble

The nations of Umbra shall seek to cooperate and work together to uphold the values of a autonomy, democracy, and a free economy.

Article I. Government

The nations of Umbra shall elect a Commander to direct their alliance. This commander will have the power to declare war, make treaties, and govern the alliance. The Commander will have the power to choose a Lieutenant Commander upon election.

The Lieutenant Commander shall be the second in command underneath the Commander. The Lieutenant Commander will be responsible for guiding the alliance internally, and will directly oversee the Directors.

The nations of Umbra shall elect four Directors to manage the departments of the alliance government. These shall be the Directors of Economy, Defense, Diplomacy, and Internal Affairs.

The Director of Economy shall manage and guide the member nations of the alliance in growing their economies.

The Director of Defense shall manage and guide the member nations of the alliance in building their armed forces, and fighting in war.

The Director of Diplomacy shall manage and guide the alliance's communications with other alliances.

The Director of Internal Affairs shall manage recruitment programs and aid for members nations of the alliance.

Should there be no candidates for a Director position, or should a vacancy arise, the Commander has the power to appoint a nation to fill the position, or assume the responsibilities himself.

Article II. Elections

Elections shall be held to fill the positions of Commander and all four Directors once every 2 months. Each member nation shall receive one vote in each election, and all member nations will be eligible as candidates for any office. Voting periods will be held for 48 hours, and the nation with the majority vote shall hold the office. In the case of a tie vote, the voting period will be held again.

Article III. Membership

Any nation is eligible to apply for membership to Umbra so long as they are not in another alliance. The Director of Internal Affairs will decide the process for being accepted into the alliance. The Commander of Director of Internal Affairs will have the power to remove anyone from the alliance at any time.

Article IV. Amendments

Any member nation of Umbra will have the power to propose an amendment to this charter at any time, but it must be approved by a 2/3 majority of the Commander, Lieutenant Commander, and four Directors.

Article V. Ratification

This first charter of the alliance of Umbra is ratified as of 10/24/2014 by Quelye, of the Righteous Nation of Taissaugh.

• Upvote 1

Anyone else start reaching for their popcorn upon reading the first two letters of that initialism? "Oh, !@#$, it's A DECLARATION OF -- oh." Either way, welcome and stuff. I dig the simplicity in your charter and your flag.

Thanks! I find simple is often the best.

Always good to see new alliances forming. Good luck mate.

Thank you!

you're welcome to come back when you get tired of being raided

wish you had put half that amount of effort into SI but hey, it's your effort, do with it what you want

While off topic, I did make several forum posts during my time at SI that went nowhere. My proposal to start an embargo list to deal with raiders, while received well initially was ultimately ignored, as well as my request to lower the alliance resource tax rate. Ultimately I did not wish to build my nation in the way that I would've been forced to at SI (or lost half my profits) and quite frankly I was unhappy about the decision to treaty EoS (which I expressed days ago on the alliance forums).

While off topic, I did make several forum posts during my time at SI that went nowhere. My proposal to start an embargo list to deal with raiders, while received well initially was ultimately ignored, as well as my request to lower the alliance resource tax rate. Ultimately I did not wish to build my nation in the way that I would've been forced to at SI (or lost half my profits) and quite frankly I was unhappy about the decision to treaty EoS (which I expressed days ago on the alliance forums).

yeah there's more to running an alliance than having ideas

you actually have to put them into action

good luck though - i don't want to spoil your DoE with dirty laundry, and you were fun to have around

yeah there's more to running an alliance than having ideas

you actually have to put them into action

good luck though - i don't want to spoil your DoE with dirty laundry, and you were fun to have around

I understand that, however seeing as I was just a member I did not have the power to follow through with my ideas.

In any case, what's done is done, and as I stated on SI forums I wish to leave on good terms and have cordial relations with SI in the future.

Good luck with all your endeavors! I'm glad to see a new promising alliance rise here in Orbis. :D

• Upvote 1

[17:17:58] <&Ashland> I will give you hops if you say this phrase:

[17:18:13] <&Ashland> "Man, I really wish Rose had allied BoC a couple months ago when we had the chance instead of picking Vanguard."

[17:20:16] Man, I really wish Rose had allied BoC a couple months ago when we had the chance instead of picking Vanguard.

3fHp1YR.gif

Good luck with this endeavor, I for one am glad to see a new democracy springing up.

Some advice, if you haven't done so already; appeal to one of the larger alliances to establish a protectorate until you reach a time when your alliance can finally stand on it's own two feet. Otherwise raiders and other alliances might go after you guys... and even with a protectorate that will probably happen, but at least then you'll be able to ask your protector for some rebuilding aid and make up any losses.

I like the alliance flag too, very minimalist.

• Upvote 2

New alliances? Well I never...

Edited by underlordgc

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

Always good to see a new alliance form, good luck out there!

• Upvote 1

"They say the secret to success is being at the right place at the right time. But since you never know when the right time is going to be, I figure the trick is to find the right place and just hang around!"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<Kastor> He left and my !@#$ nation is !@#$ed up. And the Finance guy refuses to help. He just writes his !@#$ plays.

<Kastor> And laughs and shit.

<Kastor> And gives out !@#$ huge loans to Arthur James, that !@#$ bastard.