State of Orbis

Ogaden

Yes if we were a solo alliance we would be rolled. Duh. Didn't I just explain why rational actors form into 2 defensive spheres in these games.

I assume the other is directed at me? I like being obtuse as you put it so that I and others can engage their brains.

-signature removed for rules violation-

Yes if we were a solo alliance we would be rolled. Duh. Didn't I just explain why rational actors form into 2 defensive spheres in these games.

I assume the other is directed at me? I like being obtuse as you put it so that I and others can engage their brains.

It's not about being a solo alliance, but rather not having the tS web at your service. I wouldn't say it's a completely unequal relationship since you do your part by doing a lot of lifting on fronts, but it's clear who is more politically involved and able to recruit alliances to help. 

Ahhh, you are saying tS is the mastermind snake doing the diplomacy and such.

I, for one, dont really know or care much on that front. But if the snake is masterfully directing all this by himself than he is a very busy snake.

-signature removed for rules violation-

No.

Seriously.

Paperless is not some be-all-end-all solution to the problems in these types of games. Firstly because you're playing a game with other people and you can't simply force people to behave in a certain way when it comes to relationships. If they want to stay friends, they will do it regardless of some artificial restriction you've put on them. Secondly, even if you were to somehow force everyone to comply, suddenly the game isn't Politics & War, it's just War, and no offense to Sheepy but the War part of this game is not good enough to keep a large player base engaged for more than a few months without something else (ie the Politics part).

I get what you're saying so let me amend this, yes, not every alliance should go paperless, that would be dumb. But I think that there should be more paperless alliances. I think if the paperless number went from 3 to 6(at least 1 from Syndisphere) the game would greatly change.

I really only said that because both sides complained they can't work with each other and that signing a treaty would put them at risk. Going paperless would remove that fear.

Also you make a point that there would be no politics, that simply isn't true. Being paperless makes more politics. You don't have a piece of paper forcing or enticing someone to come to your defense. You have to talk with people, form friendships, find common enemies or have a common goal. You're forced to talk ALL the time, not just around war time. So saying there would be no politics is very, very false.

Edited by Kastor
  • Upvote 2

IMG_2989.png?ex=65e9efa9&is=65d77aa9&hm=

We basically have a situation like the mid 1980s Edmonton Oilers where all the good players are on one team. I think we need like, an unofficial rule where good alliances have to form blocs with crap alliances and fight other good/crap mixed alliance blobs.

TKR had a treaty with NPO.

BK had a treaty with UPN.

t$ had a treaty with SK.

Cornerstone had a treaty with VE.

Arrgh had a paperless treaty with Roz Wei.

Didn't go so well.

(ps I'm kidding guys)

I get what you're saying so let me amend this, yes, not every alliance should go paperless, that would be dumb. But I think that there should be more paperless alliances. I think if the paperless number went from 3 to 6(at least 1 from Syndisphere) the game would greatly change.

I really only said that because both sides complained they can't work with each other and that signing a treaty would put them at risk. Going paperless would remove that fear.

Also you make a point that there would be no politics, that simply isn't true. Being paperless makes more politics. You don't have a piece kf paying forcing or enticing someone to come to your defense. You have to talk with people, form friendships, find common enemies or have a common goal. You're forced to talk ALL the time, not just around war time. So saying there would be no politics is very, very false.

This is exactly true, treaties are actually the end of politics for the most part

• Upvote 2
tvPWtuA.gif

I don't really get  the point of being purposefully obtuse. This is kind of why people gave up on engaging you here. I mainly do it for entertainment purposes, but lol.

I just want to see Grub posting here again. I know he hates it for similar reasons, but it's just so satisfying watching people get so taken aback by his style. :P Edited by Kurdanak
xzhPlEh.png?1

Mensa also had a treaty with UPN.

Cornerstone as well, though that was discussed back on page 2 and 3 with the history behind that.

UQllJcz.png?2

2nd, 4th, and 6th Adelphotes Princeps of Cornerstone, Ambassador to Black Knights, 4th Grand Pilus of Cornerstone, 2nd Chaplain of Cornerstone, 5th Questor Princeps of Cornerstone

I just want to see Grub posting here again. I know he hates it for similar reasons, but it's just so satisfying watching people get so taken aback by his style. :P

Mine isn't good enough? fffffff

Anyway, don't know how longer I'll keep it up. It's getting boring responding to "nuh uh".

• Upvote 1

"several times" is a over statement, but he's right - without Syndicate, we probably would've been rolled a couple of times.  Probably.  Syndicate provided solid FA for us (This is the most crucial thing that we benefited from, since we severely lacked it due to some attitudes) and numbers to compliment our mid-tier strong point when we first joined up.  Guardian and Seven Kingdoms had higher tiers than us.

Granted we still would've punched above our weight in all those fights, as we usually do.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I just want to see Grub posting here again. I know he hates it for similar reasons, but it's just so satisfying watching people get so taken aback by his style. :P

Grub could post the weather and I'd still want to strangle him. His posting style bothers me that much. :P

• Upvote 1

Get some sleep Roquentin. :P

All I remember from your ODP offer was the gov. Tried to hide it from us until Hans leaked it. Members (include me! Yay!) Immediately blasted it since it would jave hurt our allies more than help the syndicate; the basis of that treaty was to stop us from warring them when there was Rose war rumors. The same people now in Tto supported that treat. The other 100 said no. After all, it looked like TS just wanted an unfair advantige when there was rumors, and UPN missions to TS emvassies failed when you rallied your membership to attack one of our diplomats. It didn't get passed and war broke out.

• Upvote 1

:sheepy:  :sheepy:  :sheepy:  :sheepy:               :sheepy:              :sheepy: :sheepy: :sheepy: :sheepy:

Greatkitteh was here.-

Mensa is strong, I doubt rolling Mensa would be easily done

Who said easily? It wouldn't be easy and it wasn't easy when they lost, but it would have been doable except without every Syndisphere alliance piling on whenever Mensa got into a mess. It was just an illustration of the tS web's power and strangehold on the game.

Also, to be honest, the problem outlined in the OP is only one aspect. The other thing is the "COME WIN WITH US. JOIN THE WINNERS CIRCLE GET THEM WS" culture that is promoted in this game. Most of the alliances that end up switching sides weren't military powerhouses, but it just adds more NS to deal with. When someone makes a new alliance, they usually want to be associated with the winners as well, so it's a self-perpetuating cycle. The game culture presently is severely problematic for this reason.