Can we just all stop fighting over religion?

Ekejen Luish

Is it possible for PaW to be free of religious fighting?  

46 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Like politics, religion would be fun to talk about if it weren't so important to some people. Unfortunately, religion is how many people deal with fear of death and lack of status. That makes it the most important thing in their lives. It's like asking people to stop talking about their kids. Sure, they can, but then they have nothing to talk about since they don't spend their time on much else.

And not every atheist wants religion gone. They just don't want government pushing your religion on people. I'm actually inclined to require a multi-religion class in public schools, just to show kids that their particular holy man isn't the only one with answers. That would make religious leaders unhappy, though, because it removes a central pillar of their control.

• Upvote 1

Eradicate religion, problem solved.

Easy to say. Impossible to accomplish. And personally, wrong to do. Society as a whole would have to accept the consensus,or someone  would have to violently commit the eradication, which in turn creates sympathy and more followers of the religious faithful.

Even though religion isn't a part of the game physically (there's no national religion, projects, or improvements). Yet despite that there are plenty of religiously themed alliances based on real, fake, or digital religions. 

It is not even really Religion that is the cause of major conflicts more than people using it as the scapegoat behind their actions. That is the same for politics, nationality, whatever. People become raised in a certain manner of thinking and too often fail to see the other side of the coin.

Whenever people have an agenda they want to push they will use whatever tools, weapons, or vessels that are available to them to see that agenda met. 

No, the fighting on this site pertaining the debate about religion will never end.

The main two problems being trolls, and religious extremist. 

The troll problem i.e "captain vietnam" who comes onto the forums everyday to spew his daily banter about "great vietnam power!" or "atheist will destroy the world" just to stir the pot of drama.

Then, you have people like Abu and Ibrahim who are religious fanatics, unleashing their biased opinions and invalid interpretations of the Qur'an and tries to use it as a valid source,  who then try to deny any support for their radical counterparts in real life, but while under the guise believe they're holy warriors fighting in the name of Islam (which they 100% do clearly support).  

But in the long run, it won't end. Too many ignorant incoherent people.

Edited by Francisco Franco
  • Upvote 1

Easy to say. Impossible to accomplish. And personally, wrong to do. Society as a whole would have to accept the consensus,or someone  would have to violently commit the eradication, which in turn creates sympathy and more followers of the religious faithful.

Oh, we'll get it done, don't you worry.

I wasn't really serious but to address your post:

1. It's not impossible to accomplish, just difficult. It would require comprehensive persecution and re-education, but totally possible.

2. Whether it's right or wrong is very subjective. I consider removing religion to be right because of the negative impact it has on the world, whether it's inspiring fanatics or tricking people into believing in god or gods, heaven and hell, and the like.

3. I don't agree that violent repression would increase the followers of religion. If that's the result, you're doing it wrong. Look at the persecution of Christians in the Soviet Union. For example:

"Between 1945 and 1959 the official organization of the church was greatly expanded, although individual members of the clergy were occasionally arrested and exiled. The number of open churches reached 25,000. By 1957 about 22,000 Russian Orthodox churches had become active. But in 1959, Nikita Khrushchev initiated his own campaign against the Russian Orthodox Church and forced the closure of about 12,000 churches. By 1985, fewer than 7,000 churches remained active."

The organization of the church was allowed to expand, only to be promptly reduced. What this tells me is that if you have enough control over society, you can with some difficulty rid said society of religion. If you keep comprehensive repression up for enough generations, eventually no one will even remember that there used to be a thing called religion.

orwell_s_1984_oceania_s_currency_by_dungsc127_d97k1zt-fullview.jpg.9994c8f495b96849443aa0defa8730be.jpg

I think if anything, there will be a growth in religious practice across Europe (previously the most secular continent) mirroring the Conservative backlash currently spreading. I think the collapse of any sort of meaningful ideological framework is associated with the decline of the traditional family and religious practice (I'm not saying there is a link, just that this is the perception).

I think the wet liberal mindset people espouse these days represents something the majority can not and never will get behind. Whatever you might think, popular atheism reeks of elitism and ivory tower snobbery and that will always put people off. Even lazy catholics like myself are offended by your casual discussions on how eliminate religious people, and "re-educate" them. Implying that religious people are simply too ignorant to know how wrong they are. In my experience some of the most ignorant people are fedora tipping atheists.

Also praise dio

Edited by Spite
  • Upvote 1

☾☆

Priest of Dio

just because the Nazis did something doesn't mean it's automatically wrong

1. It's not impossible to accomplish, just difficult. It would require comprehensive persecution and re-education, but totally possible.

2. Whether it's right or wrong is very subjective. I consider removing religion to be right because of the negative impact it has on the world, whether it's inspiring fanatics or tricking people into believing in god or gods, heaven and hell, and the like.

3. I don't agree that violent repression would increase the followers of religion. If that's the result, you're doing it wrong. Look at the persecution of Christians in the Soviet Union. For example:

"Between 1945 and 1959 the official organization of the church was greatly expanded, although individual members of the clergy were occasionally arrested and exiled. The number of open churches reached 25,000. By 1957 about 22,000 Russian Orthodox churches had become active. But in 1959, Nikita Khrushchev initiated his own campaign against the Russian Orthodox Church and forced the closure of about 12,000 churches. By 1985, fewer than 7,000 churches remained active."

The organization of the church was allowed to expand, only to be promptly reduced. What this tells me is that if you have enough control over society, you can with some difficulty rid said society of religion. If you keep comprehensive repression up for enough generations, eventually no one will even remember that there used to be a thing called religion.

And this ^ is why we can't have nice things.

<&Partisan> EAT THE SHIT

<blacklabel> lol @ ever caring about how much you matter in some dumbass nation simulation browser game. what a !@#$in pathetic waste of life

iZHAsgV.png

I think the wet liberal mindset people espouse these days represents something the majority can not and never will get behind. Whatever you might think, popular atheism reeks of elitism and ivory tower snobbery and that will always put people off. Even lazy catholics like myself are offended by your casual discussions on how eliminate religious people, and "re-educate" them. Implying that religious people are simply too ignorant to know how wrong they are. In my experience some of the most ignorant people are fedora tipping atheists.

Also praise dio

I can assure you that to me (and many others), the stench of religion is far, far worse.

Be offended if you like, but I won't apologize for a casual, hypothetical discussion, nor for any of my convictions regarding religion. Atheists can undoubtedly be just as ignorant as religious people, I'd never deny the boundless reach of ignorance. What makes me oppose religion is not that religious people are particularly more ignorant than anyone else, but rather that religion teaches people falsities, that people (including my own) have been and still are violently forced to convert and because I loathe the idea of a non-governmental force having influence over Europeans or anyone at all, really.

Cthulhu fhtagn! ;)

Edited by Big Brother

orwell_s_1984_oceania_s_currency_by_dungsc127_d97k1zt-fullview.jpg.9994c8f495b96849443aa0defa8730be.jpg

mr athiest wants to commit genocide of christians holocaust style

maybe neo nazi atheists like you should be stopped???

mr athiest wants to commit genocide of christians holocaust style

maybe neo nazi atheists like you should be stopped???

Like I said, it was a hypothetical discussion. I wasn't condoning or supporting the genocide of Christians or any religious people, I was only arguing that it would be possible to eradicate religion if one should desire to do so.

I can assure you that to me (and many others), the stench of religion is far, far worse.

Be offended if you like, but I won't apologize for a casual, hypothetical discussion, nor for any of my convictions regarding religion. Atheists can undoubtedly be just as ignorant as religious people, I'd never deny the boundless reach of ignorance. What makes me oppose religion is not that religious people are particularly more ignorant than anyone else, but rather that religion teaches people falsities, that people (including my own) have been and still are violently forced to convert and because I loathe the idea of a non-governmental force having influence over Europeans or anyone at all, really.

Cthulhu fhtagn! ;)

Way to generalise the attitudes of 84% of the human population. Are you going to group all philosophies and political beliefs into your hatred, or are you reserving it for belief systems with a supernatural element? 

• Upvote 2

☾☆

Priest of Dio

just because the Nazis did something doesn't mean it's automatically wrong