6/10/2015 - Approval Rating

Alex

First comment :D, good change, will be nice for those people who roleplay/like stats.

Proud Canadian, Proud Ontarian

OZFC3Z0.jpg

If I may make a small suggestion: Losing approval by having war declared on you doesn't make much sense in the grand scheme of things.... In most nations throughout history the citizens rally around their leaders when attacked, not the opposite as this somewhat implies. So, in my opinion, having war declared on you should increase your approval by a decent amount.

Edited by Delyruin
  • Upvote 4

☾☆

Priest of Dio

• Administrators

That embargo bit seems ripe for abuse to me... but the idea seems good in itself to expand the game. 

Abuseable, how?

If I may make a small suggestion: Losing approval by having war declared on you doesn't make much sense in the grand scheme of things.... In most nations throughout history the citizens rally around their leaders when attacked, not the opposite as this somewhat implies. So, in my opinion, having war declared on you should increase your approval by a decent amount.

While that's a reasonable opinion, it would create an abuseable reality where you could declare war on someone just to increase their approval rating. You can think of this as, "Someone declared war on us, why didn't our leader do enough to prevent this from happening?"

Winning a war, on the other hand, does give you a significant boost.

• Upvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

• Administrators

I see alot of minuses on that list.

Your approval rating will generally go up by a small amount every turn, unless you've got a really high population density or a lot of pollution. Also, you must take into consideration the fact that everyone starts at a very high approval rating.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

That embargo bit seems ripe for abuse to me... but the idea seems good in itself to expand the game. 

It'll make it so that during wars, people embargo individual nations and not alliances. Good add imo.

IMG_2989.png?ex=65e9efa9&is=65d77aa9&hm=

• Administrators

It'll make it so that during wars, people embargo individual nations and not alliances. Good add imo.

I hadn't considered this, but I suppose you are correct. 

Forums Rules | Game Link

I'm guessing since everyone seems to be starting on 99.99%, it's not retroactive :)

Interesting change. I think I'll not bother adding it to the list of stuff to calculate though, too complicated!

sig_cybernations.PNG.8d49a01423f488a0f1b846927f5acc7e.PNG

I doubt attacking nations will be sending peace any time soon once this has an affect-- perhaps it could maybe be +2 so it couldn't be exploited, yet still an alternative to losing a war for both in question. Great update in general, though, Sheepy, and wish to see this expanded upon further. P&W is getting even better, and I wish to see it grow further.

putin-trump-sig_zps657urhx9.jpg

Hm, so having 100 pop density means you can get away with 500 pollution. Yay for land being more relevant :P

Good thing lifting embargo gives the same approval as you'd lost upon embargoing. Getting nuked should reduce the approval rating :ph34r:

• Upvote 1
UedhRvY.png

• Administrators

I have to be honest,I hate this. If I wanted Nation States,I'd play Nation States.

I don't understand, it literally has no effect on you. You don't like other people having fun through roleplaying? If you didn't want to play a nation simulation game, why are you here?

• Upvote 1

Forums Rules | Game Link

Embargoes are going to send everyone to 0% lol.

I don't understand, it literally has no effect on you. You don't like other people having fun through roleplaying? If you didn't want to play a nation simulation game, why are you here?

According to you, it's going to have effects later on.

Abuseable, how?

Two alliances go to war. Gov gives order for members to embargo each enemy individually to tank enemy's approval rating to 0 which makes no sense.

Also abusable outside war of course as members in bigger alliances will be able to use it in a sort of "bullying" manner which depending on how important all this when it gets effects will be troubling as the smaller alliance can't do the same back due to the fear of war. 

I can see some ways around it if it's worth concern however.

• Administrators

According to you, it's going to have effects later on.

But only marginally. I'm envisioning a law system where you can pass laws X amount of times per day, and when you attempt to pass or repeal a law, you do a RNG roll between 0-100. If that roll is above your approval rating, you fail, and have to try again or wait until the next day.

So, while it is preferable to have a higher approval rating, it's far from necessary, and approval ratings have a tendency to increase on their own, anyway. Plus, "laws" will be mostly cosmetic (think: Pass this law to ban texting and driving.) with only a few laws that really do much to your nation. It's part of a system to be built around "single-player" nation roleplay.

• Upvote 1

Forums Rules | Game Link

• Administrators

Two alliances go to war. Gov gives order for members to embargo each enemy individually to tank enemy's approval rating to 0 which makes no sense.

Also abusable outside war of course as members in bigger alliances will be able to use it in a sort of "bullying" manner which depending on how important all this when it gets effects will be troubling as the smaller alliance can't do the same back due to the fear of war. 

I can see some ways around it if it's worth concern however.

This is like a one-time threat. So what, everyone in the world embargoes me and brings me down to -50 AR points. From there I can't go any lower, no matter how many more embargoes you pile on, but each turn I will continue to rise, slightly. Eventually, I'll be back up to a normal level, even while I'm still embargoed, and you can't really do anything else but un-embargo me, which only brings me up another 3 points.

Forums Rules | Game Link

• Jax locked this topic