The Best Way to Make Money

Alex

• Administrators

Let's hear about it. There's a lot of economics to Politics & War, with most of it player driven. Who's seen the best profits yet, and from where? There are really only 3 main routes:

Commerce

Building supermarkets, banks, etc. will increase your tax revenue. With a high enough population, this is a very effective way to make money and you can simply import resources from other nations with your excess cash. For a small nation, it is not usually the most effective way of making money.

Resources

It takes some capital to invest with, but once you've got the improvements to harvest resources you can export them to other nations to make money. The prices fluctuate considerably, though, which makes this method a little more risky, but with the potential for more reward as well.

War

Every nation should keep a strong, healthy military on hand to protect their economies, yet there are always some who wish to cut upkeep costs to increase profits. Raising a large army and plundering other nations can really bring in a lot of money quickly, but there's the potential for disastrous results. Accidentally picking targets with no money to loot or finding someone who can fight back is common. This is the riskiest money making technique, but can potentially be the most rewarding.

So, Politics & War players, I want to know what methods you've tried, and what your success/failure stories have been for the first ~25 days of the game!

• Upvote 3

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

That sheep in your sig must be crunching on some delicious buttered popcorn. :popcorn:

edit: Where is my emoticon, Mod guy? I was gone for a long time and I'm very hungry. Just check out that beard.

Edited by Hereno

When steel was only selling for 1000, supermarkets and banks had a greater marginal utility than steel mills. Now that it is selling for around 2000, steel mills have a greater marginal utility than commerce improvements.

When my infrastructure reaches 1000 or so per city, this will change again.

"It's hard to be a team player when you're omnipotent." - Q

No way is better in this case.

1) High national net revenue and low military number tend to make a nation susceptible to war.

2) Exploiting buyers ($0/unit or something like that) or greed over welfare (unbelievably high price), and sometimes you just have to build a lot just to make profit.

3) What if that nation is an alliance member? What if it can build up the military faster than you thought?

Edited by Kerbollo

Attempting to contact Kerbin since 1983 (in-game)...

Hey, have anyone seen those fireworks? What do you mean, Jeb had them strapped to SRBs?

Discord: Ray3501#0305. I frequent the SK Network discord (duh).

I have another option. Buy cheep off the market and sell high. I was doing quite well before selling everything and starting war.

War isn't very profitable. I loose too many tanks and the cheep people never have cash. still easy to hide money.

Edited by John Baraboo

Commerce builds... all day errday.

[17:17:58] <&Ashland> I will give you hops if you say this phrase:

[17:18:13] <&Ashland> "Man, I really wish Rose had allied BoC a couple months ago when we had the chance instead of picking Vanguard."

[17:20:16] Man, I really wish Rose had allied BoC a couple months ago when we had the chance instead of picking Vanguard.

3fHp1YR.gif

• Administrators

Looking at different nations, I think raiding brings in the most money. I've seen nations only 2-3 days old bring in $500,000+ just from continually declaring wars, looting the victims, and repeating.

• Upvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to figuring out my strategy in regards to this. So far I have a supermarket that is pulling in some extra cash. Also, been trading on the market. Bauxite is selling for a decent amount. Also, I produce a fair amount of food. Even though it is cheap it's extra cash that I've been using to build up my nation. Trying to get to 30 points so I can create an alliance!

• Upvote 1

The best way to make money,undoubtedly has to be raiding. In just 3 days of being a nation I have a second city already and a massive army and refineries in progress. In this game you basically exchange time and if something can be made or done much quicker then I do it. Wars are what drew me to this game anyway, since you could lose it all and what you do can make or break your country unlike other 'nation building' games.

Yea I totally love the buying and selling business on the market which is partly just my nature but it does work. Right now I'm saving up for a steel mill. Also have sold some iron and coal which though cheap can be produced quickly and helps bring in much needed revenue.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at different nations, I think raiding brings in the most money. I've seen nations only 2-3 days old bring in $500,000+ just from continually declaring wars, looting the victims, and repeating.

I like this idea for short term growth for small nations.