Who Really Won The Space Race?

Shadowstar1922

Space Race  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who won the Space Race, the United States or the Soviet Union?

• The United States.
    • The Soviet Union.
    • Both equally contributed.

You know Ive always been told about the United States winning the Space Race but everytime I do a lot of research into the scientific contributions of both, it always seems like the United States didnt do much and the things that they did do, the Soviets did years before. The only notable thing I can think of is the fact the United States landed on the Moon but what did that really contribute to besides morale? 

I think this photo sums it up

the-ussr-won-the-space-race_o_6069185.jp

• Upvote 1

the spice girls started the cold war

Why is the first animal, man, man in open space, and woman in space marked as "This event is still relevant today. (eg, satellites still used, etc.)?" 

And the first robot on the moon doesn't operate anymore, but it is still marked as relevant. 

And the first satellite has already deorbited, but it is still marked as relevant. 

And the first space station has already deorbited, but it is still marked as relevant. 

I rate that picture RT/10. 

• Upvote 2

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

And the first robot on the moon doesn't operate anymore, but it is still marked as relevant. 

And the first satellite has already deorbited, but it is still marked as relevant. 

And the first space station has already deorbited, but it is still marked as relevant.

That's like saying the first lightbulb ever invented isn't relevant because it burned out.

• Upvote 1

putin-trump-sig_zps657urhx9.jpg

Why is the first animal, man, man in open space, and woman in space marked as "This event is still relevant today. (eg, satellites still used, etc.)?" 

I rate that picture RT/10. 

I mean a lot of the sciences behind space travel and satellites and such were by Soviet scientists and during most of the Space Race the USSR was years ahead of the United States. Im pretty sure all of these accomplishments contributed to the further advancement of space travel. 

• Upvote 1

Depends who you ask. The space race was a giant ego war. America thinks America is the best, the Soviets thought they were the best.

And does it even matter? Either one of them wouldn't have done the things they've done without the motivation of beating their competition. 

• Upvote 1
Icwalk.gif

It should be noted that the Soviets cut corners in the safety of their space program. A lot of Soviet astronauts died unnecessarily. I think the lack of morals on the part of the Soviets should deduct points from their overall score.

new_forum_sig_2.png

That's like saying the first lightbulb ever invented isn't relevant because it burned out.

I mean a lot of the sciences behind space travel and satellites and such were by Soviet scientists and during most of the Space Race the USSR was years ahead of the United States. Im pretty sure all of these accomplishments contributed to the further advancement of space travel. 

Then why the double standard? If the first x in space is still relevant, then the first (and only) landing on another planet is still relevant. 

• Upvote 1

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

It should be noted that the Soviets cut corners in the safety of their space program. A lot of Soviet astronauts died unnecessarily. I think the lack of morals on the part of the Soviets should deduct points from their overall score.

Yeah ive seen some documentaries and read some stuff on how the USSR would constantly hide activities due to failure and that there was a possibility of the USSR landing on the moon first but the Soviet government erased it for they failed to get the astronaut back. It is all speculation though. 

no one won the space race

Well, considering all the advancements in technology because of it, it's more as if everyone won the space race. 

"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"

Well, i mean, no one can win anything unless the rules and goals are clearly defined.

I mean, with no background knowledge, the "space race" sounds like something to do with you know, space. 

The soviets did all the space things. America did the moon things.

Icwalk.gif

The US was always ahead in the space race. Good Soviet propaganda muddled the issue a bit. But actaually do some real research if you are going to post some randomness OP

/thread

... Uh, sources? What is this "real research" you speak of? Amerikan propaganda?

putin-trump-sig_zps657urhx9.jpg

The Space Race was not a literal race to some finish line. It was about capability, like an arms race. And after a few years of catching up, the US was capable of doing things that the Russians could not. That made us the winners.

You want this thread to be about listing arbitrary collections of 'firsts' and achievement trophies and arguing about how shiny the trophies are who has the most of them, but that's not what the cold war or the space race was really about.

• Upvote 4

... Uh, sources? What is this "real research" you speak of? Amerikan propaganda?

I should ask the same thing to you.

/me waits for flame war to start

<&Partisan> EAT THE SHIT

<blacklabel> lol @ ever caring about how much you matter in some dumbass nation simulation browser game. what a !@#$in pathetic waste of life

iZHAsgV.png

The space race was all about prestige. Russia was winning but got pipped at the line by the moon landing. They couldn't top that.

Also Jebediah is clearly the winner. (5 internets to anyone that gets the reference.)

Edited by Karrde

I should ask the same thing to you.

/me waits for flame war to start

/when you can't tell if the 1st commenter was serious or not, so then you're unable to realize of the 2nd commenter was serious or not, so then you're unable to tell if everyone's joking around or being completely moronic 

• Upvote 1
Icwalk.gif

The space race was all about prestige. Russia was winning but got pipped at the line by the moon landing. They couldn't top that.

Also Jebediah is clearly the winner. (5 internets to anyone that gets the reference.)

It was all about tech advancment that tied directly to hard power capacity. The Soviets were dominated the whole time.

• Upvote 1

-signature removed for rules violation-

/when you can't tell if the 1st commenter was serious or not, so then you're unable to realize of the 2nd commenter was serious or not, so then you're unable to tell if everyone's joking around or being completely moronic

1st is srs, 2nd is 50/50, 3rd isn't

That'll be $5,000,000 please

This comment brought to you by Get Out Troll! LLC.

• Upvote 1

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win