Boundaries between real life and game in P&W

Spite

Spite, the entirety of your problem stems from the fact that you are uninformed. Princess Bubblegum has been playing this game longer than anyone in your alliance I believe. They've intentionally kept their nation small for reasons. They've been making trollish alliances before. I doubt PBG actually supports trump and is more making a joke at the candidate. That being said it's actually irrelevant if they are. If someone is as weak willed to be swayed by adds in politics and !@#$ing war into voting for them, then they should be voting for the donald. The fact that you're actual concerned about this enough to write the wall of text is actually laughable. Please be less idiotic in the future.  

• Upvote 2

scSqPGJ.gif

I think Spite's main concern has some weight regardless of whether it is Trump, or something else.

There are a lot of alliances that take from real world themes, and a lot of graphics that represent those companies, people, organizations, games, etc...I think this an attempt at a conversation to gauge just how directly linked do we allow alliances or nations to become to the real thing, despite a gag joke or a real concern?

Even if spite was saying princess bubblegum is hired by someone to promote Trump, that has no real bearing here. The discussion is how much a nation or an alliance can reference a rl issue or a rl person before it's too much.

And this is interesting to me because often people have used the argument that someone is trolling, but should it matter? If a friend of mine was reported for sweetheart trading with me, would it be okay if I said we were doing it to troll people? To what extent does the intention of breaking a rule or !@#$ing with the nature of the game matter? And where is the line drawn?

• Upvote 5

It's my birthday today, and I'm 33!

That means only one thing...BRING IT IN, GUYS!

*every character from every game, comic, cartoon, TV show, movie, and book reality come in with everything for a HUGE party*

4nVL9WJ.jpg

Spite, the entirety of your problem stems from the fact that you are uninformed. Princess Bubblegum has been playing this game longer than anyone in your alliance I believe. They've intentionally kept their nation small for reasons. They've been making trollish alliances before. I doubt PBG actually supports trump and is more making a joke at the candidate. That being said it's actually irrelevant if they are. If someone is as weak willed to be swayed by adds in politics and !@#$ war into voting for them, then they should be voting for the donald. The fact that you're actual concerned about this enough to write the wall of text is actually laughable. Please be less idiotic in the future.  

Thanks for your constructive comments Pre. Firstly to respond to your (small) points- as I said I used Princess Bubblegum's Trump campaign as a clear example of my concern. However if a player made a similar campaign promoting a brand, another political candidate or another game it would be the same issue.

Regarding your personal points: How long someone plays a game doesn't mean anything, you should judge someone based on their actual points. I don't have an issue with trolling (obviously) and this article isn't about that. Whether PB made one ad or one hundred it would be the same point. I also don't make an argument that this will necessarily change anyone's opinion. I'm not even eligible to vote in the US elections. My point is as above: at what point does ingame promotion of an outside organisation, brand or individual become "advertising" and have to be judged as such? For me this line has been crossed in this situation, as it would be if they promoted (as I explained above) Eve Online or similar.

Calling someone an idiot for making a polite discussion topic is just childish. I suggest that you read your post again and ask yourself if the language represents how you actually want to be viewed by other players.

Flood the ad system with a counter then.

If it was a "Mensa sucks" ad I wouldn't have a problem with it. It's external advertising and that's a different thing.

• Upvote 1

☾☆

Priest of Dio

just because the Nazis did something doesn't mean it's automatically wrong

Trump 2016 is a joke and I can't believe people can't comprehend that.

The question is if it has crossed the line over into an actual advertisement for an outside entity. What if, say, someone started a Ted Cruz 2016 themed alliance backed by a real life PAC? Viral marketing is all the rage. Sheepy wouldn't mind the money, but then he seems more unfair if he blocks other advertisers. What about my aforementioned Doritos alliance? Or any consumer product you care to dream up? When does the theme itself take away from the gameplay experience?

I think that a fair compromise would be removing references to Trump's campaign, while keeping Trump himself and any reference to his bigotry. AKA Trump rather than Trump 2016. Trump is a big enough personality that there is plenty to work with outside of the campaign, and PBG can keep irritating people to her heart's content.

My issue about this; where were the folks complaining about this when PBG first started?

PBG has been doing Trump ads since back before the whole Rose/Mensa ad war.  That's several months ago and now it's a problem?

I get the point the OP is stating ( What is the line between advertising real life compared to in-game ), but this is way late beyond when the point would've been better considered.

• Downvote 1

My issue about this; where were the folks complaining about this when PBG first started?

PBG has been doing Trump ads since back before the whole Rose/Mensa ad war.  That's several months ago and now it's a problem?

I get the point the OP is stating ( What is the line between advertising real life compared to in-game ), but this is way late beyond when the point would've been better considered.

Couldn't that be said about most issues on PnW? I mean, didn't it take some time before the issues with people using bots to trade was addressed and fixed? Didn't it take months and several issues with people exploiting weaknesses in the game before Sheepy finally got an admin? Why does it matter when the issue is addressed, when it still hasn't been discussed and clear boundaries have been established?

• Upvote 1

It's my birthday today, and I'm 33!

That means only one thing...BRING IT IN, GUYS!

*every character from every game, comic, cartoon, TV show, movie, and book reality come in with everything for a HUGE party*

4nVL9WJ.jpg

I assume it's because Trump's momentum is at the point that those against him can no longer dismiss it as harmless, and instead as a very real threat to what they believe to be correct (and Trump is against). Stopping Trump ads here won't do anything really, but it's the thought of doing something in the "fight" that counts.

• Administrators

Pretty sure the Trump 2016 stuff is trolling players.

Sheepy already made his stance on this.  Starting February, no more Trump ads.

You seem to be the only one who realizes this. Thanks for informing everyone.

The question is if it has crossed the line over into an actual advertisement for an outside entity. What if, say, someone started a Ted Cruz 2016 themed alliance backed by a real life PAC? Viral marketing is all the rage. Sheepy wouldn't mind the money, but then he seems more unfair if he blocks other advertisers. What about my aforementioned Doritos alliance? Or any consumer product you care to dream up? When does the theme itself take away from the gameplay experience?

I think that a fair compromise would be removing references to Trump's campaign, while keeping Trump himself and any reference to his bigotry. AKA Trump rather than Trump 2016. Trump is a big enough personality that there is plenty to work with outside of the campaign, and PBG can keep irritating people to her heart's content.

If you want to have Ted Cruz themed alliance, that's fine. In terms of player advertisements, as of February 1st the same rules will apply to your Ted Cruz alliance, your Bernie Sanders alliance, your Hillary Clinton alliance, or any other candidate in the Presidential race (at that time.) A ruling has already been made about this, where we draw the line between "roleplay" and "advertising."

Of course, in the future issues could possibly arise. In the Eve Online example that Spite gave, I would have no problem with an Eve Online themed community, one that referenced Eve Online in their ads or tried to get people to play Eve Online with them as well as play the game, but regular "Play Eve Online today!" ads that took you to the Eve Online website would definitely be rejected.

And if you want to compare that to the Trump ads, just remember that 9 months before the actual election the ads are all going to be pulled as I've ruled they'll breach our real advertisement rule.

• Upvote 4

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

I assume it's because Trump's momentum is at the point that those against him can no longer dismiss it as harmless, and instead as a very real threat to what they believe to be correct (and Trump is against). Stopping Trump ads here won't do anything really, but it's the thought of doing something in the "fight" that counts.

As I have said already, I don't really care about whether Trump wins and I did worry making this post if this would become "all about whether Trump is good or bad". Please don't make it about that. If this was about "Hilary 2016" or "Buy Coca Cola" I'd make the same points- when an alliance is focused on advertising an external body, candidate, campaign or whatever, and the person doing that advertising does not participate in the game other than to use money from raiding noobs to produce ads supporting that campaign- then has a line been crossed?

I'm not going to repeat the OP again, but please stay on topic. Although I used PB campaign as the most obvious example, that is what it was. Can ads advertise non-game products? The links on the page, the title of the alliance, the slogans used - these do not refer to anything ingame in a meaningful way. Again, if I made an alliance and called it something like "Donate money to Save the Children" and then ran ads with that same title and posted donation links on the alliance page- would this be ok? It is essentially what is happening here.

Again- PB personal views, the trolling aspect, whether Trump is good or bad are all irrelevant to the point I am making, so please stay on topic. There are plenty of troll threads and trump threads.

• Upvote 1

☾☆

Priest of Dio

Ultimately its not your, or the playerbase's decision to make, its up the moderation staff and the Sheeps, and what they are willing to allow.  So if you, or another player what to try to walk the line of what you may or may not think is acceptable, go for it, but do it with the understanding that there can be consequences to your actions if you go too far.

I understand your irritation Spite, but Sheepy has already made a stand on this (see his post above). To be fair to PB, he is allowing the ads to expire, rather than simply deleting them. PB deserves that much for supporting the game, no matter how irritating you find her. Don't like the ad? Then support the game and buy a VIP.

There probably isn't a whole lot productive that can come from this conversation. Decision has been made. The Trump haters win. Expect PB to use the remaining ad time to push you for more threads like this one. I'm sure she enjoys it.

Ultimately its not your, or the playerbase's decision to make, its up the moderation staff and the Sheeps, and what they are willing to allow.  So if you, or another player what to try to walk the line of what you may or may not think is acceptable, go for it, but do it with the understanding that there can be consequences to your actions if you go too far.

I understand that, and I stated in the OP that this was intended as a discussion not a report, and whilst I'm happy Sheepy has weighed in on the debate that's what it is. In the past Sheepy has responded to community discussions, and I think it's healthy for us as a community to discuss what boundaries we would like to see in the game. I am aware that Sheepy as the game owner is the one who decides policy but this is something which has been exercised in a flexible manner in this particular case and I thought it would be helpful to extrapolate the possibilities when it comes to extra-game advertising (both using ads and the alliance/player name and messages) to prevent future problems arising.

In other words, you can respond to any discussion about the game by saying "Sheepy decides", but if we did that we'd have no discussions about the game and it's future direction. So it's a non-comment really.

• Upvote 2

☾☆

Priest of Dio

I understand your irritation Spite, but Sheepy has already made a stand on this (see his post above). To be fair to PB, he is allowing the ads to expire, rather than simply deleting them. PB deserves that much for supporting the game, no matter how irritating you find her. Don't like the ad? Then support the game and buy a VIP.

There probably isn't a whole lot productive that can come from this conversation. Decision has been made. The Trump haters win. Expect PB to use the remaining ad time to push you for more threads like this one. I'm sure she enjoys it.

I don't think "raiding noobs and using the money to buy credits from the market" constitutes "supporting the game". 

☾☆

Priest of Dio