9/1/2015 - What's Going On

Alex

• Administrators

It's been a very tough situation these last few days for me. I'll elaborate in a larger post soon, but for now my primary focus is getting the game operational. Ideally it'll be up and ready within an hour.

• Upvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Might as well throw in my 2 cents:

We all play this game because we see it as a fun way to pass some time. I'm sure many of us started playing this game because other games (such as (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn't be bringing it up anyways)) have crapped out. Unfortunately, in the world that we live in malicious hacking is bound to happen at some point (Why anyone would hack a FREE TO PLAY browser based nation simulation game is beyond me.). It is unfortunate this happened. It is unfortunate the games security measures weren't up to par for this hack. It is unfortunate the game has be rolled back.

However, I feel Sheepy and his team have responded very well to this situation. They clearly care about what as happened are taking measures to prevent this from happening again. The situation has been amplified by the fact that a major war was ongoing. Even though I'm not involved in the current war, I completed understand those that are made about the situation. I'm sure I would be as well for a brief moment.

Those that are saying Sheepy "ignored" problems, doesn't care, or is favoring a side of the war are completely overreactions. This is a young game (just turned 1) with roughly 3000 nations (some probably multies). This isn't McDonald's with 1 million fat asses walking in every day to get their "Big" Macs. I believe Sheepy and his team are doing everything they can to get the game back up and running. I'm sure they would like to get past this just as much as we would.

Now that I've said my 2 cents, I'm inviting everyone to my place for beer! The fridge is full and will automatically refill itself.

As always, WTF has helped settle my blood and made me feel much better about the current situation. This hack sucks, previous hacks sucked, the game is still worth playing. There is little else to say other than good luck to ss23 and congrats to Sheepy for adding another Admin.

I admit, it did suck not being able to play - but I like the effort of Sheepy and Co.

Given the circumstances of Sheepy and the time frame - I would say this is a job well done. People claim that this is why hordes will leave this game, but why leave when you have a proactive admin? This community is probably the best community I've been involved with and the support for the loyal players of this game definitely prove that this community can overcome.

o/ Sheepy and Co.

Lets get back to it.

• Upvote 1

Thank you Sheepy, ss23, and the rest of the PnW staff for getting the game back up and running. Your efforts are appreciated!

I admit, it did suck not being able to play - but I like the effort of Sheepy and Co.

Given the circumstances of Sheepy and the time frame - I would say this is a job well done. People claim that this is why hordes will leave this game, but why leave when you have a proactive admin? This community is probably the best community I've been involved with and the support for the loyal players of this game definitely prove that this community can overcome.

o/ Sheepy and Co.

Lets get back to it.

This, so very much this.
  • Upvote 1

sig_cybernations.PNG.8d49a01423f488a0f1b846927f5acc7e.PNG

• Administrators

Thanks guys :) It's nice to see positive comments like this from the community.

• Upvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Your foot's quitting the game but the rest of you isn't? I think someone just betrayed the fact they are using a multi here, your foot still counts as you buddy. 

Let me explain this, a little slower so you can understand Roz:

1) Pfeiffer said that the rollback is a way to lose a lot of players at once.

2) THEN, I replied "Don't let my foot hit you on the way out." This is meant to imply that

a. I would love for him to leave, and...

b. that if I had a chance, I would be kicking him out. You know, with my foot.

3) I in no way meant that my foot would leave the game with him, though I might let him keep my shoe depending if and where it got lodged.

4) My foot and I play the same nation. I had to ban my foot from the internet after the whole Dan77 fiasco.

Edited by Buck Turgidson
  • Upvote 2

Are you originally from Earth, too?

Proud owner of Harry's goat. It's mine now.

I now own MinesomeMC's goat, too. It's starting to look like a herd.

Yep, it is a herd. Aldwulf has added his goat, too, and it ain't Irish.

Let me explain this, a little slower so you can understand Roz:

1) Pfeiffer said that the rollback is a way to lose a lot of players at once.

2) THEN, I replied "Don't let my foot hit you on the way out." This is meant to imply that

a. I would love for him to leave, and...

b. that if I had a chance, I would be kicking him out. You know, with my foot.

3) I in no way meant that my foot would leave the game with him, though I might let him keep my shoe depending if and where it got lodged.

4) My foot and I play the same nation. I had to ban my foot from the internet after the whole Dan77 fiasco.

Screw you, man. Nothing says I can't have my own profile on the forums, !@#$.

Regards,

Your foot.

• Upvote 2

Are you originally from Earth, too?

Proud owner of Harry's goat. It's mine now.

I now own MinesomeMC's goat, too. It's starting to look like a herd.

Yep, it is a herd. Aldwulf has added his goat, too, and it ain't Irish.

So from what I understand there was a hack that hurt VE and some other hacks that gave people exstra turns, so to fix it the admin moved the game back 5 days in the past. And now this hurts some other players because they were winning a war against VE. Maybe this change is the fairest soloution to the warring parties I don't know because I created my nation about 5 days ago.

However it's unfair on the people who weren't involved in the war or hacking, specifically hurting new players a lot. I had my entire nation destroyed and lost 5 days of progress. To an old player 5 days might not seem a lot but if you just started it could be the majority of the time you've played, people want to progress as fast as they can and having to start 5 days in the past is a massive hit. Even if you were lucky enough not to have your entire nation destroyed, how would you feel you played for say 10 days and had this setback?  You just lost half your progress and know you have to wait another 5 days just to get back where you were, what if you were about to build your next city? and are told sorry you have to wait another 5 days. Doing the jumping through hoops for freebie stuff on the first day and sitting in Beige (I assume that's what everyone does early game) is probably the most boring part of the game and now many players will have to do it all over again.

I will probably continue to play when I can be bothered to remake my nation but I do not think that's the case for all newbies.  

• Upvote 1

So from what I understand there was a hack that hurt VE and some other hacks that gave people exstra turns, so to fix it the admin moved the game back 5 days in the past. And now this hurts some other players because they were winning a war against VE. Maybe this change is the fairest soloution to the warring parties I don't know because I created my nation about 5 days ago.

However it's unfair on the people who weren't involved in the war or hacking, specifically hurting new players a lot. I had my entire nation destroyed and lost 5 days of progress. To an old player 5 days might not seem a lot but if you just started it could be the majority of the time you've played, people want to progress as fast as they can and having to start 5 days in the past is a massive hit. Even if you were lucky enough not to have your entire nation destroyed, how would you feel you played for say 10 days and had this setback?  You just lost half your progress and know you have to wait another 5 days just to get back where you were, what if you were about to build your next city? and are told sorry you have to wait another 5 days. Doing the jumping through hoops for freebie stuff on the first day and sitting in Beige (I assume that's what everyone does early game) is probably the most boring part of the game and now many players will have to do it all over again.

I will probably continue to play when I can be bothered to remake my nation but I do not think that's the case for all newbies.  

There was a lot more involved than just a simple hack - it was a series of several malicious attacks that have been happening for some time now. These hacks unfortunately changed the course of the wide-game play of the game and in efforts to roll back to a point where most was neutral and calm, it was unfortunately rolled back.

It is a shame for any nation to re-do the 5 day period you speak of. It is also a downer to be a newbie to the game and have this happen to you, but you can look at it like this; now you can build better knowing what you now know AND you can have someone give you a helping hand. (I'll be willing to help with anything need as well) Feel free to get a hold of me.

I do hope you continue to play the game - if you stick around, you'll find out that Sheepy and Company are very down to earth people/admin and do all of their best to continue to be active and support the game through every way possible. This is a game FOR the players - and the players make this community great too.

Stick around.

• Upvote 1

So from what I understand there was a hack that hurt ended up massively helping VE and some other hacks that gave people exstra turns, so to fix it the admin moved the game back 5 days in the past. And now this hurts some other players because they were winning a war against VE. Maybe this change is the fairest soloution to the warring parties I don't know because I created my nation about 5 days ago.

Your case is yet another reason that the game should not have been rolled back.  Thanks for posting your thoughts.

-signature removed for rules violation-

Thanks to Sheepy, this has probably been a harrowing few days for you. Chin up, the vast majority of us just appreciate having the game back up in some form, whether we agree with the exact method or not.

I, for one, appreciate the new secure server. It's not your fault this happened, and now you're doing your best to prevent it happening again. I appreciate it pal!

To put even the smallest amount of this into perspective- how many of you have stayed up till 4:30 in the morning for your jobs?

Yeah. About that... However, I agree with the rest of your post.

You think this is bad? Wait till you get to Bloc.

Absolutely this. Game down for half a day? Multiply that by 60 and add a developer who takes random trips to South America and never fixes bugs "soon." 

I think the more pressing concern is what can be taken against the hackers. How to ensure no more hacking , exploits , multi's. Instead of arguing endless whether there is a rollback or should not be rolling back.

I am more interested to know who the hackers are and how to ensure these people never made it back to the game using other IP , proxy or etc.

It's impossible. IPs change frequently (especially on satellite), proxies exist, and so on. 

Plus, this. 

https://politicsandwar.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5016-more-matching-uids

Whos ever heard of a free to play browser game having hiccups? Never happens. 

Errrrbody gonna quit! Rabble rabble rabble!

This. 

Edited by WISD0MTREE

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

Christ, this thread...some of you people really need to relax.

Thanks, admin team, for getting things moving again! Welcome aboard ss23, I'm excited to see what will happen with your specialties on board. :)

• Upvote 3
xzhPlEh.png?1

• Jax locked this topic