A question about poaching

Kastor

With ad's being introduced, and more and more nations being able to buy a credit to purchase these ads, lets ask a serious question. "If a nation leaves an alliance because of an Ad that was posted, is that poaching?"

Scenario: Rose makes an Ad for everyone to see, a UPNer leaves UPN over that ad and applies to Rose and is accepted. Is that Rose poaching?

You may say, that there is no way to stop the member from seeing that ad, but there is, you can target nations NOT in alliances.

What does the rest of the community think?

IMG_2989.png?ex=65e9efa9&is=65d77aa9&hm=

With ad's being introduced, and more and more nations being able to buy a credit to purchase these ads, lets ask a serious question. "If a nation leaves an alliance because of an Ad that was posted, is that poaching?"

Scenario: Rose makes an Ad for everyone to see, a UPNer leaves UPN over that ad and applies to Rose and is accepted. Is that Rose poaching?

You may say, that there is no way to stop the member from seeing that ad, but there is, you can target nations NOT in alliances.

What does the rest of the community think?

I think this topic is stupid.

If someone leaves your alliance, you're better off. Loyalty is all that matters.

• Upvote 2

☾☆ Chairman Emeritus of Mensa HQ ☾☆

"It's not about the actual fish, themselves. Fish are not important in this context. It's about fish-ing, the act of fishing itself." -Jack O'Neill

iMZejv3.gif

I think it is essentially 'poaching' but I am not concerned about it at all. Poaching will obviously only effect those willing to be swayed or unhappy with the alliance. If someone isn't happy in our alliance, by all means we are happy for them to look elsewhere, and they probably aren't the right fit for us.

With that said. Everyone join UPN.

• Upvote 4

200px-UPN.svg.png

Second in Command of UPN

If a member leaving an alliance because of another alliance's display is considered poaching, then it goes far beyond ads. What if a newbie left UPN and tried to join another alliance because he saw that alliance making a funny joke somewhere, wouldn't that count as indirect poaching too?

As long as the ad is not targeted directly to a particular alliance with provocative messages, then it's just a harmless advertising

• Upvote 1
UedhRvY.png

I don't believe that poaching is an issue.  Alliances don't OWN their members, membership derives from free will and free choice of the individual players themselves.  The whole concept of poaching is bull shit.

• Upvote 2

Priest of Dio

I don't believe that poaching is an issue.  Alliances don't OWN their members, membership derives from free will and free choice of the individual players themselves.  The whole concept of poaching is bull !@#$.

Direct poaching is an issue. Alliances compete to recruit new members for the simple reason that they are an asset, and systematically targeting the assets of another alliance for recruitment, is the same as directly attacking that alliance. The whole concept of poaching makes perfect sense.

vZcheF2.jpg

Edited by Ibrahim
  • Upvote 1
ztt5Wgs.png

If your alliance is so terrible that you can't hold onto members, you deserve to lose em.

Seen from another perspective, if members aren't happy with an alliance they should leave.

In Orbis thanks to the way the game is structured, if you leave an alliance you have to join another or you're bait for everyone. So there's always going to be accusations of poaching every time someone moves alliance. 

• Upvote 1

☾☆

Priest of Dio

just because the Nazis did something doesn't mean it's automatically wrong

I see poaching as another means of strategy.  Strengthen your alliance, weaken the others.

If people have an issue with it, maybe they should focus on strengthening the loyalty among their player base in the alliance.

• Downvote 1

Direct poaching is an issue. Alliances compete to recruit new members for the simple reason that they are an asset, and systematically targeting the assets of another alliance for recruitment, is the same as directly attacking that alliance. The whole concept of poaching makes perfect sense.

vZcheF2.jpg

Your comments seem to come from the mindset of scarcity and insecurity I feel. And referring to members as "assets" of an alliance is a massively ignorant view.  

Any alliance worthy alliance that is confident of itself is not going to feel threatened by public ads or similar things of the sort. 

Edited by Saru
  • Upvote 6

200px-UPN.svg.png

Second in Command of UPN

Your comments seem to come from the mindset of scarcity and insecurity I feel. And referring to members as "assets" of an alliance is a massively ignorant view.  

Any alliance worthy alliance that is confident of itself is not going to feel threatened by public ads or similar things of the sort. 

Read my previous comment regarding Ads....

There is direct and (passive) indirect poaching, this is the latter and almost every alliance is knee deep in it. 

I think you are all just highly protective of your ads but like i said, I don't have a problem with ads in general unless they are directed at the membership of a specific alliance, and i haven't seen any alliance do that (Including Rose & Mensa HQ). To say poaching is a non-issue however is another extreme which i would simply have to disagree with.

ztt5Wgs.png

I think it is essentially 'poaching' but I am not concerned about it at all. Poaching will obviously only effect those willing to be swayed or unhappy with the alliance. If someone isn't happy in our alliance, by all means we are happy for them to look elsewhere, and they probably aren't the right fit for us.

With that said. Everyone join UPN.

I may have spammed Saru an invite.

Edited by ELPINCHAZO

As long as the ad is not targeted directly to a particular alliance with provocative messages, then it's just a harmless advertising

^ this. You can set an ad to appear to a specific alliance, if I remember correctly, so I would totally consider it a form of poaching if one made an ad solely targeting one alliance in an attempt to instigate defection.

Whether poaching is "bad" or not is an entirely different question.

xzhPlEh.png?1