How Intrusive are the Player Advertisements?

Alex

Player Ad Survey  

149 members have voted

1. 1. How intrusive are the player ads currently?

• They're okay, they don't bother me
    • Kind of annoying, but nothing too bad
    • They're really annoying, I wish they weren't there
    • These are awful, I'm going to quit playing Politics & War now
    • I'm going to use AdBlock to hide them
    • I think there should be a setting to disable seeing the advertisements
  2. 2. What should the odds of seeing an Ad be?

• 100%
    • 75%
    • 50%
    • 40%
    • 30%
    • 20% (Current Chance)
    • 15%
    • 10%
    • 5%
    • 1%
  3. 3. Would you consider creating an advertisement?

• Yes! I'd love to send a message to everyone
    • I would, but it's too expensive
    • I can't afford the credits
    • No, they're just stupid

As a ad runner, the current hide/view button defeats the purpose of the ad. I spent 2 credits so far, and plan to spend 3 more. I believe an ad should be forced upon people, but if not, then it should be MANUALLY turned off like the anthems. I refuse to continue on running and creating ads until further notice. Also they should be on all the time.

As a ad runner, the current hide/view button defeats the purpose of the ad. I spent 2 credits so far, and plan to spend 3 more. I believe an ad should be forced upon people, but if not, then it should be MANUALLY turned off like the anthems. I refuse to continue on running and creating ads until further notice. Also they should be on all the time.

If they don't want  to see the ad in the first place, why would you want them to, exactly? They obviously have no reason to click on the damned thing.

Edited by Dimitri Valko
  • Upvote 1

putin-trump-sig_zps657urhx9.jpg

I actually like them, I think they're infinitely better than regular ads. I also don't think they're that big to be honest.

indonesia.jpg

King Bilal the Great Mediocre

The Average monarch of Billonesia

Wikia page (if you're into roleplay things).

We Tvtropes now. (down the rabbit hole!)

I find them annoying, and just a nuisance. The only real use is for alliances, and two out of the only three ads currently made look horrendous, and were easily made in MS Paint. 

Point_over_your_head.jpg

• Upvote 4

rsz_1g7q_ak91409798280.jpg

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a roll.

There is one you will follow. One who is the shining star, and he will lead you to beautiful places in the search of his own vanity. And when there is no more vanity to be found, he will leave you in darkness, as a fading memory of his own creation.

• Administrators

I'm not sold on trying to make them a sidebar thing. Unless we added a whole new sidebar to the right side just for ads, I don't think it would work very well.

I think added an account setting to manually disable all player ads for your account is the best way to go for the people that absolutely hate them. It seems like most people enjoy them/aren't bothered.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

• Administrators

Allow ability for Ad Buyer to hide their identity at extra cost. It doesn't work great for all types of propaganda if it lists a name. What if I wanted to create an ad just for Alliance A, but claim it was from Alliance B, when I'm actually in Alliance C. If these Ads are intended to add fun and intrigue, more anonymous ad making would go a long way.

I agree this would be fun, however there's really no way for Alliance A or B could do about it. No way to tell who created the ad, which could lead to some serious annoyances.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

I think the ads are fine, however the fact that they knock everything else down bothers me a bit.

Perhaps some other placeholder should be there so it doesn't change the alignment. Or we make the interface a bit wider and have a sidebar on the right for it(however I'm not sure how that would work on mobile, do they even show on mobile?)

As you sow, so shall you reap

I agree this would be fun, however there's really no way for Alliance A or B could do about it. No way to tell who created the ad, which could lead to some serious annoyances.

Realistically though, that makes sense. Propaganda shouldn't always have to have a clear source of who it's from. However, I would say that making the information available in spy ops wouldn't be a bad idea. If someone gathered general intelligence on me, it could also display links to any ads that the nation may be running currently.

Also, the annoyance factor really exists with or without the ability. This is the internet, random trolls exist and will find and use this feature to annoy other alliances, people, or things in general. Some people don't care about pixels and would happily sit at a lower range just so they can troll away. I don't agree with the thought process, but I've spent too many years dealing with these people not to recognize they exist, lol

As of now the ads or horrendously annoying. The ones that I have had the displeasure of seeing are childish and extremely unprofessional. Sure this is a game and you're meant to have fun, but throwing huge images that a random player threw together in 30 seconds on Paint right in your face is horrible. They're likely a huge turn off for new players as they would have no understanding of any possible underlying meaning or the event/person referenced in them. Why am I looking at a picture of "potato soup?" Why is this player threatening to destroy other advertisers? These ads have just been stupid. There is no other word for them. Absolutely stupid. Anybody who thinks they are appropriate should be ashamed of themselves and seriously consider growing up. 

If you keep the ads: 

1) Make them smaller and less intrusive. 

2) Raise the standards of approval. 

3) Provide a free option to permanently turn them off and make it clear that this option exists. 

I can barely escape the shit posts on these forums and now you're throwing them in my face. It disgusts me. 

• Upvote 6

I'm not sold on trying to make them a sidebar thing. Unless we added a whole new sidebar to the right side just for ads, I don't think it would work very well.

I think added an account setting to manually disable all player ads for your account is the best way to go for the people that absolutely hate them. It seems like most people enjoy them/aren't bothered.

OK. I'll back off on the sidebar thing although it does make some things more difficult/tedious with the shift when there is an ad present.

I still think that turning off the ads should be a VIP only feature. I know you're not in this to get rich, but make it a premium feature to be able to turn the things off. It'll at least generate some offset revenue from the potential ad loss.

Generally, I still find the ads both amusing and in one case, so far, potentially useful. I think there is great potential here and the poll seems to indicate that too.

MofFA United Purple Nations

Former Grosskomtur, FA Minister and Spitler (IA) -Teutonic Order. Former Reclusiarch (IA) - UPN.

le61twR.png

Since Sheepy is manually posting them, he ought to not post ads that obviously look like they are spam-related.

Why shouldn't we be able put whatever we want as long as it follows the rules? We're the ones donating/encouraging donations. 

Edited by WISD0MTREE
  • Upvote 1

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

Just go into your filter preferences in AdBlock and disable "non-intrusive advertising" if this form of adverts bothers you. Personally it bothers me in the sense that some of the ads are stupid and take up too much space, so I disabled that option. However, I think it's still a good idea because the game does need funding.

imagine.png

It's not how hard you try, it's if you succeed.

I think allowing for stupid and annoying is part of the point.

This is taking the forum and shoehorning it into the game in a super condensed way.

• Want to troll the AA you hate? GO for it.
  • Want to use it to recruit? BY ALL MEANS.
  • Want to use it for WAR time propaganda? Excellent idea.
  • Want to spend credits on poorly drawn ads to show off your quirky sensibilities? No problem weirdo!

It also allows people to reach players that don't normally read the forums.

• Upvote 1

The ads are absolute garbage and should be held to a reasonable standard.

Low-effort trolls using Paint and making shoddy ads isn't aiding the game nor does it contribute to the community. 

Low-effort graphic artists using default filters and terrible blockfont that they found on dafont.com is annoying.

I'd like a way to get the ads to mesh with the site:

three colors: blue,gray,white

plain serif font, nothing too small (size < 6 pt)

no personal attacks, informing people of substantial misdeeds would be relatively OK if they could be verified.

I mean, I've got nothing against silly, zany ads (I loved the ads on Starship Trooper, for example) but these are low-effort, I-am-doing-this-because-I-can ads.

• Upvote 6

I am a Dioist. Hath not a Dioist eyes? Hath not a Dioist hands, organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions; fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases, healed by the same means, warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer as a Pig Disgusting Swede is? If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that. If a Dioist wrong a Pig Disgusting Swede, what is his humility? Revenge. If a Pig Disgusting Swede wrongs a Dioist, what should his sufferance be by Pig Disgusting Swede example? Why, revenge. The villainy you teach me I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction.

Maintain a constant size for the images used in ads along with making the ads appearance 100% so that everything stays in place. And add a 'turn off' option in account page (just like a turn off option for national anthem).

Just go into your filter preferences in AdBlock and disable "non-intrusive advertising" if this form of adverts bothers you.

Disabling non-intrusive advertising did not work for me. I opened blockable items from options and manually blocked the images.

Edited by Aerys Targaryen
  • Upvote 1

I did hate them, until I found the FOFA ad. Now I'm happy they were added to the game.

The FOFA ads are the only ones I can tolerate, as they serve a purpose can help players.

putin-trump-sig_zps657urhx9.jpg

If we are gonna keep these ads, then we need to have some quality assurance.  Some of them are tacky, annoying, and just plain bad.  We need quality standards, control of content,  and a review process to approve each ad.  It won't make me like them, but its less likely that I'll get software to block them if they actually look like the fit in with the rest of the page.

Edited by CzarOptima
  • Upvote 3

Maybe appoint a couple of community ad moderators to approve ads above a certain quality to reduce workload for Sheepy? Could even tack it on to the forum mods' responsibilities.

Quality standards just will complicate things exponentially.

These ads allow sheeps to collect funds. 

If you don't like the ads you see,buy add time with some you deem worthy  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1