Pandemics!

Alex

I agree with Phiney, chance should be a bit higher.

However I love the general idea, and also the point that it should increase disease allowing excess hospital bonuses to reduce (eg, 2 hopsitals so -5% reduction, 3% base disease + whatever from pandemic)

Sounds like it would make a nice addition. Undecided on whether sickness should be displayed. Perhaps if it increases disease, then other plays could work it out based off the disease level of a nation they are trading with? Like they'd need to check the city manager page or something...

As you sow, so shall you reap

Sounds like a solid idea, i remember another game i used to play like this, where every now and again your nation would have random events occur within your nation with slight negative and positive effects.

Signature removed due to rule violation. All posts/imagery with text must be in English.

^ Totally not true I've seen tons of sigs with ' imagery not in english ' and so have you !!

' The Revolution shall not be silenced ' - Reznikov

I could dig this I guess, but I think 0% disease rates in nations due to hospitals should have a chance of not acquiring it, or even 0% disease rate would be the be able to fight if off easier and lower but not abolished disease rates would have less a chance of fighting it off. I also feel like this could be implemented in war when ground battling sick nations.

Needless to say: "I'M GIVING YOU THIS DISEASE BECAUSE I LOVE YOU!"

Edited by Ansom

:wub: -removed by thor- :wub:

I think this sounds a lot like the events mechanic that Cyber Nations has. Is that what you were going for? If so, I think this shouldn't be implemented. If you were talking about making this similar to the zombie outbreak like NationStates has/had (which would tie in with the approval rating and have no effect whatsoever on actual gameplay), then this could be interesting.

• Upvote 2

greene.png

Formerly known as Grealind of Resvernas (28 October 2014-29 August 2017) and Greene of Japan (29 August 2017-28 Septmber 2017)

7th Caretaker of Duat, the Deity Thoth

Pandemics by definition are widespread outbreaks of plague. Since I'm good at overcomplicating things, I figured I'd share a few random thoughts. Definitely slightly more complicated than maybe required! Also pretty harsh on an affected nation. So not saying it should ever be implemented this way.

- On a plague developing initially, have a strain be randomly generated, with the following attributes: Lethality and Spread/Contagion (or similar wording)

- Lethality determines how many people are killed each turn and determines the chance a citizen will "recover" without dying.

- Spread/Contagion determines how fast the plague spreads. This is two fold. First it acts as a multiplier of lethality over time (so that the longer the plague is around, the more people die). Secondly, it determines how much of a chance the plague will spread to another nation, by Trade, War and Espionage.

- Hospitals lower lethality and spread/contagion, slowing the spread. Also, having hospitals will increase the chance a citizen will "recover" without dying.

- Each turn, an increasing number of your citizens will quarantine themselves (hiding in their houses), meaning that they cannot be killed off by the disease. They also cannot be taxed, as they aren't working.

- The plague ends when the citizens who have quarantined themselves + the number of citizens who have recovered + the number of citizens killed = normal population

- If a plague is transferred to another nation via trade/war/espionage, it transfers over with it's current lethality/spread modifiers (without reductions from hospitals).

Also, with regards to whether or not to show a nation has a pandemic.

- If the pandemic spontaneously appears, have it not be displayed until it infected another nation via trade/war/espionage or until 25% of the population has been killed.

- If a nation is infected via trade/war/espionage, it is immediately displayed.

• Upvote 4

sig_cybernations.PNG.8d49a01423f488a0f1b846927f5acc7e.PNG

If I had a disease, would my accepting the offers that other people posted (for resources they're selling) have a chance of them being infected? That wouldn't make much sense.

Overall though, great idea.

The money you pay with can have your disease because you touched it

(sorry for the language, I'm not a native Enlish speaker )(and if there's something about the game I don't know, please let me know. My nation has '2 has Old' )

* What about creating a world entity system as the World Health Organization (WHO)?

This could be administrated by the game ( maybe with timelines of each nation or something about the health care from the Nations, how much do they spend in salubrity, something else about the polution, etc) or (be administrated ) by another nations and they could publish information about other nations status of health. That information could be changed by the 'WHO', I mean fake information (that's Politic).

**Things could turn more realistic if resources (and manufacturing) would have  something related with quality. And in every trade (nations)could stablish their 'quality parameters'. Of course this would be a lot of work for who administrate the game.

(about **) With this quality we could play a role like the chinese products  ( low quality but lot of production) or the opposite, and there could be another world entity.

Quality for food would be a significant factor for the health of population. As steel for tanks, oil for manufacturate gasoline, etc.

*** I don't know if the game has something like the International Monetary Found (IMF). I think it would interesting to access to loans ( I thing I've read something about it, but only in the alliances, it would be better to get loans whithout participating in any group) and that 'IMF' would be integrated by the 'strongest' nations.

• Upvote 2

maybe make the transmission probability higher for food than for other items.

Will the actual mechanic just affect the disease% percentage for a nation? i think that would be preferable and make more sense in the context of the way the game currently works.

I don't think other nations should be able to see your health status unless they are in the same AA or have performed a spy op for intel on that nation.

This is important to add:

There needs to be a chance of transmission for an nation that has performed a spy op on an infected nation and has spies returning.

Edited by ELPINCHAZO
  • Upvote 2

Petitioning for Ayybola.

I'd like to see specific parts of the map having certain bonuses for being there if there are plagues.

Like shouldn't an island nation have a better chance of not getting infected, but also suffer more once being hit?

Also, should certain continents be immune to another's disease?

like it's too dry in Australia for a European disease? (or something like that)

• Upvote 2

• Administrators

Petitioning for Ayybola.

It'd be amusing if people could pay a credit to add their own disease to the game. I.E. for 1 credit, people can now be infected with Ayybola, lol.

• Upvote 4

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

• 1 month later...

Can you make natrual disasters?

I think this would be a better and more challenging aspect to the game. Not sure how it could be implemented but natural disasters happen everywhere in some fashion or another and it would add another aspect of realism to the game. Natural disasters occur far more frequently than pandemics. Maybe the two could be combined and you could make a pandemic one of the disasters that could randomly spawn itself on a nation and test the leaders ability to recover from it.