Game Development Discussion: Perks

Village

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9529tkml80qwwxijcdnau

…is there a decline option? Or no.

I thought we’d let 🤬dns🤬 keep the convoluted nation sim title…but no.

Edited by Deraj
  • Haha 1

Industrial specialization and commercial enterprise seem too strong for what little drawbacks/unlock requirements they have. As for the military side seems like a heavy focus on missiles and nukes which makes choosing to invest in that tree far less rewarding for raiding or actual warfare. 

• Downvote 1

image.png.ef68ec84eb778a4ba76f58db5ae1ae89.png

Just now, Lord Tyrion said:

Would like to see bigger enhancement to missile and nuke defense. Plenty of perks for offense, very few for defense.

i feel like the military perks are too much focused on missiles and nukes in general, thus boosting them a lot more than other military stuff

i think it would be a better idea to do more military perks focused on normal attacks/troops, since otherwise too much would be blocked for players that don't have neither nukes nor missiles, or useless for players that don't really use them in general

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

anything that was said above this can be resumed to this

E

Genuine suggestion @Village. Can you not lay out the entire list of perks, one tier at a time, and have us go through and discuss?

Decide a number, say 10 perks per tier, and then go through the process of finding the least broken/controversial for each tier.

This whole system is incredibly large and it's not feasible for most people to go through 50 perks at once and determine the impact they'll have on the game collectively.

As I understand it, this isn't the full list either. Only having a partial list, we can't determine what possible perks you can even have at each tier.

The general structure of the system seems fine, but many of the perks seem broken, or unbalanced, and in some cases useless.

I don't see how you'll ever balance this system rolling it out this way.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

XLL3z4T.gif

Could we have tracking for how many people choose which perks, and then have a regular discussion about balance if we see 80% of the players using one or two perks and ignoring the rest. A system for changing your perk if your chosen perk is nerfed or another is buffed, could we discuss a policy or attitude to take so in the future we don't have belly aching because a perk was changed and people "Just invested" in level x. We need one policy for everyone that's known ahead of time, else it will be an endless headache.

EDIT: I want to note I like that the perks you have already researched are "remembered" and you get the double speed bonus. More changes like that are good imo.

Edited by KiWilliam
  • Upvote 1

• Developer
5 minutes ago, Sketchy said:

Genuine suggestion @Village. Can you not lay out the entire list of perks, one tier at a time, and have us go through and discuss?

Likely what I'm going to do is lay out the upcoming perks one batch at a time for final balancing feedback after the team's already done their feedback side at the start of the week before they go live, I don't have a final form for how I'm going to plot out that deployment yet.

Just now, KiWilliam said:

Could we have tracking for how many people choose which perks, and then have a regular discussion about balance if we see 80% of the players using one or two perks and ignoring the rest. A system for changing your perk if your chosen perk is nerfed or another is buffed, could we discuss a policy or attitude to take so in the future we don't have belly aching because a perk was changed and people "Just invested" in level x. We need one policy for everyone that's known ahead of time, else it will be an endless headache.

My current thought is if a perk you choose gets nerfed then folks will get some research credit for that, but given that none of it's even in the game yet I don't know what the final state for any changes once things are implemented will look like, there will likely be compensation of some kind for any changes though.

Just now, im317 said:

wait is this yet another change where i will miss being eligible for things because i did all my serious fighting from before you guys bothered to keep stats?

If you did before Alex did whatever stat stuff he did years ago, then yes you wouldn't qualify for any of the ones that require stats, but there's nothing I can do about that sorry.

1 hour ago, Lord Tyrion said:

Would like to see bigger enhancement to missile and nuke defense. Plenty of perks for offense, very few for defense.

I agree with this one

Could make perks a good way to better set up a real defense ig

56 minutes ago, Borg said:

Doubles your contribution to your color block
> Your nation's impact on your color bloc is halved
Seems redundant

I think the point here is switching between them, so like a small nation with a low income on green for example, would want their impact halved, but all of Grumpy might want their contribution doubled, etc.

Could be used both to help tank a bloc if that's your goal, or boost a bloc if that's your goal.
Though I feel, while we're on the topic of updates, it might be worth raising the cap on max color bloc bonus? Especially considering that more than one color is at the limit now.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Peace in our time

@VillageThese ideas that you have been bringing out are awesome and well thought out. I admire that you are working hard with these and honestly your ideas are great.

However I wish to mention that Politics and War does not lack good ideas and suggestions made by the community, it lacks legit implementation. Please implement some of these ideas into the game, the lack of content added to this game over the past 5 years is deafening. 

• Like 2

• Developer
55 minutes ago, Kosta said:

However I wish to mention that Politics and War does not lack good ideas and suggestions made by the community, it lacks legit implementation. Please implement some of these ideas into the game, the lack of content added to this game over the past 5 years is deafening. 

That's why I've been pushing the team to get ideas out on the forums, so I can implement them. :)

• Upvote 2

The idea is cool and I like it, but some of these perks are just not very good. 

1. Nations can construct an additional nuke each day for every 100 nuclear power plants they have

Although this would be OP, barely anyone has 100 npps. That's 2 npps in 50 cities.

2. Commerce cap increased by 15% 

Basically makes telecommunications satellite (a 300m and 40k rss project) worthless, unless you have some of the other projects that let you build more commerce buildings which is a slot. 

3. Nations can build up to 10 of the selected manufacturing improvement, the production bonus goes up to 100% with 10 improvements (last 5 increase the bonus by 10% instead of by 12.5%)

Definitely OP and will cause mass inflation

Some of these are also in the wrong tiers as they're way too OP

Edited by Adam II
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Lord Tyrion said:

Bro's obsessed with these loser weapons 🤣 We don't need more defence for them, we need even more offense. Have a day off @Lord Tyrion

Edited by Dwight k Schrute
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

This is a great idea, I'm looking forward to the diversity between economic and military strategy. It will be interesting to see how nations pursue different perks, how that affects alliance strategies, and beyond. 

Also to the people complaining about nukes and missiles, keep in mind that both of those units are essentially useless when fighting a war to win. There isn't much more strategy to it. By making them selectively more destructive we are opening a new avenue of warfare, one that may deserve withholding MAPs for, rather than merely conducting an airstrike, etc. It may allow for a nation to recover in the same war, ultimately making it a skill/perk issue. This can help alleviate the "down-declare" gang-bangs during global wars.

Tl;dr: I hoard nukes and missiles for fun.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Paralaxus said:

This is a great idea, I'm looking forward to the diversity between economic and military strategy. It will be interesting to see how nations pursue different perks, how that affects alliance strategies, and beyond. 

Also to the people complaining about nukes and missiles, keep in mind that both of those units are essentially useless when fighting a war to win. There isn't much more strategy to it. By making them selectively more destructive we are opening a new avenue of warfare, one that may deserve withholding MAPs for, rather than merely conducting an airstrike, etc. It may allow for a nation to recover in the same war, ultimately making it a skill/perk issue. This can help alleviate the "down-declare" gang-bangs during global wars.

Tl;dr: I hoard nukes and missiles for fun.

Tl;dr: Everyone direct sustained spy ops at this weirdo ;)

"The happiness of the people, and the peace of the empire, and the glory of the reign are linked with the fortune of the Army."

• Village unpinned this topic