Unpopular Opinions Thread

hidude45454

49 minutes ago, hidude45454 said:

I'll start off with a stupid one: on the test server right now, the default airstriking option has been changed from targeting infra to dogfighting. I can understand and appreciate the intention behind this, but I actually want to keep the default on targeting infra because it's such a basic idiot test as to whether people know what they're doing or not that I think it should remain there as a very easy noob filter :P

Yes.

I am a slave to the Great Khan.

1. Cities should count for barely any score. Let raiders and people who got clapped in war sink down into the lower tiers like we used to and wreak havoc.

2. Projects should count for no score

3. Infra should count as more score, as should military

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

I sometimes feel like one of the only non-raiders who agrees with this point, which is weird given that with my city count I live in Rose, Eclipse and T$'s kill zone should it come to it.

My unpopular opinion is that the test server is a horrifically bad way of gauging whether changes are a good idea. You've got all of the nations starting at the same point with no head start, which is obviously not the way the game is. Instead a mirror of the game that periodically resets to the way the game is at x date prior to any tournament would be a better option. Would almost certainly require more server space/power however, which is why it's unlikely to happen.

• Upvote 3

On 7/6/2023 at 12:57 PM, MinesomeMC said:

IQ wasn’t that bad. Some alliances currently existing are as bad if not worse. 

To expand on this: IQ treated established/major groups like most established groups treat newer alliances and it caused an absolute meltdown of minds.

I don't endorse such treatment at any stage of the game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 7/8/2023 at 11:50 PM, Avatar Patrick said:

Looks like I found my new home.

May I take a seat next to you?

Edited by Firwof Kromwell
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

memed-iFirwof650x150.jpeg.9a92ea222b9010f9fae97a1864a6759e.jpeg     

I personally voice my own thought processes based on own desires of informational curiosity as well love for discussion based on questions & statements I made rather just trusting info like a collective hivemind

Onlookers whom hop aboard the brainless bandwagon refusing inter-articulation based on assumed feelings, go give yo balls a tug ya tit fugger         

On 7/14/2023 at 8:28 AM, Hes_A_Dictator said:

Hire some suckers by bribing them with manhwas :serious:

hire some people by bribing them with the promise of fame and unlimited popsicles

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/15/2023 at 4:58 AM, Razu said:

Alex should give everyone 9999999 credits on the next anniversary

That shit would break the game. Do something more realistic next time.

I think we should allow swearing in bulletins and messages and whatnot. Would make things more interesting.

Edited by Winston Gray

• 3 weeks later...

Something I've noticed, and would like people's feedback on, since I've been away from politics too long to tell for sure kek. (Or maybe I'm late in pointing this out too, who knows)

If there's something 2023 has been historically significant for in my eyes, it is the number of old rivalries, dislikes, and grudges that have been put aside for politics. This has occurred in pretty much every corner of Orbis, ranging from relations resets from multiple parties to former war opponents signing both O-level and M-level treaties to several alliances becoming essentially the town bike jumping from sphere to sphere, both supporting and opposing practically every party in the game. Furthermore, most new grudges seem fairly short-term: those who wronged them in the last war, or former allies one may have had a bad experience with, or so on.

Equally notable is the number of O-level treaties signed this year. Notice that few, if any, of these have been acted upon offensively -- signifying these are very much defensive security guarantees, often between aforementioned formerly opposing parties.

This, to me, reads of a very hard shift toward pure realpolitik: the tossing aside of ideological politics for practical policy. This tells me that those who advocated for its return earlier this year and at the end of last year essentially got their wish, and maybe a little more, given once one party starts seriously playing it, it is very hard for the rest not to.

Part of the lack of participation and interest in the game, combined with current political disengagement, then, seems only natural. Realpolitik, I feel, relies on a much smaller group of political elite that don't feel so affected by common sentiment. As a result, even when major political moves are made, not as much gets said in public anymore because there is less reason beyond "for the good of the alliance" why things are done, and trying to debate the false ideals that surround these things frankly gets quite tiring when there's no real motivation behind it.

Also, maybe more cynical, but I feel like the current standard for what consists of "good politics" is woefully low. It seems that almost anything announced semi-publicly gets a majority of commendation, and this reads to me both of too many people too eager to gain friends and too afraid of finding enemies. Plus, the fact people are drawn to almost any action with a pulse really speaks volumes about the political environment to me.

• Upvote 2