Market Trends

Quelye

My only complaint is that everyone is perpetually under cutting each other and as a result some of the prices are going lower then they could be... namely the larger suppliers who'll put up 500 of x at the lowest price possible and thus put a block on the market by ensuring demand is satisfied.

tl;dr if you're putting up a ton of resources at a lower price you're not wrong for doing it... you're just an !@#$ for cutting out potential profits.

My only complaint is that everyone is perpetually under cutting each other and as a result some of the prices are going lower then they could be... namely the larger suppliers who'll put up 500 of x at the lowest price possible and thus put a block on the market by ensuring demand is satisfied.

tl;dr if you're putting up a ton of resources at a lower price you're not wrong for doing it... you're just an !@#$ for cutting out potential profits.

Yeah this deflates the market really fast. Look at munitions for today, this morning they were posted near $2500 ppu, now they're down near $1500 because of undercutting. If only the producers would coordinate it could really help keep sustainable profits for all categories. I was considering attempting to start some kind of e.g. "Munitions Producers Union" to try to coordinate the market development, but PW players seem to really have a hard time resolving the collective action problem, so at this point I'm assuming it's not even worth an attempt. But who knows, maybe this thread will spark some interest in organizing producers, once they see that if we work together we can control the market.

Edited by Athanasios

"We must become bigger than we have been: more courageous, greater in spirit, larger in outlook. We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations but to our fellow men within the human community."
     - Emperor Haile Selassie I

The Republic

The Republic Map

Don't believe people enjoy control and like the random of markets anyways and might be the reason why you guys can't find a way to control it.

You're right, the free market aspect is more fun for a game like this, so we may as well leave it as is.

"We must become bigger than we have been: more courageous, greater in spirit, larger in outlook. We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations but to our fellow men within the human community."

The Republic

The Republic Map

Yeah this deflates the market really fast. Look at munitions for today, this morning they were posted near $2500 ppu, now they're down near $1500 because of undercutting. If only the producers would coordinate it could really help keep sustainable profits for all categories. I was considering attempting to start some kind of e.g. "Munitions Producers Union" to try to coordinate the market development, but PW players seem to really have a hard time resolving the collective action problem, so at this point I'm assuming it's not even worth an attempt. But who knows, maybe this thread will spark some interest in organizing producers, once they see that if we work together we can control the market.

I agree that it would be near impossible to get everyone to cooperate. I think Sheepy proposed a trade union idea where nations that joined a union would have a minimum cap when selling resources, but no one seemed to think it would be a good idea.

To really control the market for a resource I imagine you'd have to spend a lot of money to buy out everyone who undercut you and then sell at your price, but that would be an awful lot of micromanaging and take an awful lot of money to buy everyone out.

I agree that it would be near impossible to get everyone to cooperate. I think Sheepy proposed a trade union idea where nations that joined a union would have a minimum cap when selling resources, but no one seemed to think it would be a good idea.

To really control the market for a resource I imagine you'd have to spend a lot of money to buy out everyone who undercut you and then sell at your price, but that would be an awful lot of micromanaging and take an awful lot of money to buy everyone out.

You're right. At this point only someone with super deep pockets can control the markets. Some of the bigger nations have been attempting that with the food market with a degree of success. But high dollar items like steel and aluminum are just too expensive for even the huge nations to buy out, or it would just take too much time.

The food market has been an experiment in what you mentioned though, it'll be interesting to see what happens with it.

The Republic

The Republic Map

and in the process of selling all the peoples resources that you bought they end up just selling a $1 or so below you and you would ended up losing tons of money in the process

(^。^)y-.。o○ (-。-)y-゜゜゜ this is how i make my cloud

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag291/petgangster/efb30519-f381-4330-a62b-11db0d2a058b_zpscilyk2rj.png

Not really, things like gas and munitions tend to be cheap. Before the war I made over 800k a day and me and a few others of my size could have easily bought all the gas and munitions on the market. Would that be economical? Probably not as alliances can just do internal trades and circumvent global entirely. Then, as the prices rose, more people would start producing and we would quickly start losing more money than we spend.

Simply put, it isn't hard to buy up the market at once. However, it is almost impossible to maintain control of it for any real amount of time.

I, and some of my friends, have done something similar before in Alpha with both food and steel. It was funny until sheepy released an update the next day to "fix" the trade system. (IIRC he either removed the trade limit for a few days or changed the min-max posting prices by 3 times)

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

Not really, things like gas and munitions tend to be cheap. Before the war I made over 800k a day and me and a few others of my size could have easily bought all the gas and munitions on the market. Would that be economical? Probably not as alliances can just do internal trades and circumvent global entirely. Then, as the prices rose, more people would start producing and we would quickly start losing more money than we spend.

Simply put, it isn't hard to buy up the market at once. However, it is almost impossible to maintain control of it for any real amount of time.

I, and some of my friends, have done something similar before in Alpha with both food and steel. It was funny until sheepy released an update the next day to "fix" the trade system. (IIRC he either removed the trade limit for a few days or changed the min-max posting prices by 3 times)

Good point, though the big nations could buy it up all at once, keeping LONG TERM control would be near impossible.

I guess we'll just have to stick with the capitalist free-market economy, at least it makes it fun and gives me something to post about! Lol.

• Upvote 1

The Republic

The Republic Map

Market Trends 10/27/14

Market Index: $13,330 (-$91)

1) Gasoline: $3,090 (+$77)

2) Steel: $1,810 (-$279)

3) Munitions: $1,542 (+$305)

4)  Aluminum: $1,541 (-$345)

5) Coal: $1,108 (+$22)

6) Bauxite: $992 (-$12)

7) Lead: $886 (+$81)

8) Uranium: $874 (+$65)

9) Iron: $676 (+$45)

10)Oil: $612 (-$5)

11) Food: $199 (-$45)

Notes

• Overall a slight drop in the market, which is the first drop since the war started.
  • Aluminum and steel prices dropped significantly.
  • Munitions overtook aluminum for the #3 position.
  • Lead overtook uranium for the #7 position.
  • Food is starting to drop, it will probably continue to do so with the large amount of supply existing.
  • Undercutting by $1 has become the name of the game, as producers attempt to supply the lowest prices while still maintaining the overall value of the market.
  • VoC has reportedly (please correct me if wrong, I heard it on IRC and Peaceful Ponderings) embargoed Kangaroo Ocean (a major producer), perhaps embargoes will become more prevalent in this war, even against non-involved factions. We will have to see how this influences the total market.
Edited by Athanasios

The Republic

The Republic Map

By the way everyone, if you are embargoed, see an embargo, have a great day selling, take a huge loss, see something remarkable in the market, or have anything that is worth sharing in the daily report, feel free to message me in-game and I will add it to the daily notes. I don't pretend to be an economist so if you notice a trend developing or have advice for the readers of this page that I'm not giving, either just throw a comment in this thread or PM me in-game, and I'll incorporate it into the report, and give you credit. This thread should be able to provide the best information on our market, and like I said, I'm no economist, I just track the trends and make small observations, so I'd appreciate advice, comments, observations, whatever. Thanks!

Edited by Athanasios

The Republic

The Republic Map

Thanks. You're doing a great job. And as far as free market is concerned, 99% of the fun is in its unpredictability. Making a decision about how much of a resource to sell at what price and judging correctly what will happen just makes me feel pretty good. (I will be the first to admit, however; that I am wrong about as often as I am right, but once again that's just part of the fun in not knowing what will happen next.

• Upvote 1

Well, I tried selling gas when the market temporarily ran out and it was selling at $6000-7000 apiece. The only person who bought from me was a guy who was trying to stop me from undercutting him (and only bought about 15 gas). If you try to keep prices too high, people will just wait it out or produce their own resources and the producers get impatient that their inventory is piling up and just undercut each other until prices aren't so high anymore and more people start buying.

Market Trends 10/28/14

Market Index: $11,573 (-$1757)

1) Gasoline: $2,242 (-$848)

2) Steel: $1,614 (-$196)

3) Aluminum: $1,534 (-$7)

4) Munitions: $1,176 (-$366)

5) Coal: $1,101 (-$7)

6) Bauxite: $923 (-$69)

7) Lead: $882 (-$4)

8) Uranium: $868 (-$6)

9) Oil: $534 (-$78)

10) Iron: $533 (-$143)

11) Food: $166 (-$33)

Notes

• Overall a huge drop in the market today, with every single resource losing value.
  • Gasoline and munitions, war resources, both took the largest hits.
  • Aluminum overtook munitions for the #3 position.
  • Oil overtook iron for the #9 position. 
  • I'm assuming that with the war dragging on, nations either are taking so much damage that they don't have money to spend on the market, or else the war may be winding and down and this is why the market suffered so badly today. Any Covenant or TAC members can confirm or deny this assumption?
  • Increased supply could be causing the losses as well. For example, there are over 50 aluminum sales offers active on the market right now. Too much supply and not enough demand is making the undercutting have a big impact on the market. 
Edited by Athanasios
  • Upvote 1

The Republic

The Republic Map

The war still rages on, it's just that people have caught up that selling war resources = $$$ and started producing some to sell themselves.

And a certain marsupial-themed nation kinda bombed the market earlier

• Upvote 1
UedhRvY.png