Resources and "Improvements" too limited

DJHonore

I know I'm a little new to the game but i honestly think that there should be far more resources like gold, silver, copper, zinc, and other metals that players can mine. Secondly, the two-hour turns are far to time intensive and should be reduced to under 10 minute cycles. I also think that frankly the type of resources each continent has are far too limiting. Who had the bright Idea to completely take oil out of North America for example?! Lastly I think that the Categories listed under "improvements" should include more numerous options like solar energy, hardware stores, farmer's markets, car dealerships, and even bus stations and airports at LEAST. If they incorporated such options and users saw them, then they might be more likely to keep playing, not be bored with the game, and might even recommend it to their friends.

While I'm all for new improvements and resources, the main question is; what would you do with them? The reason we don't have lots of improvements is that they would have little purpose, gameplay wise. Adding tons of new resources would be useless without anything to spend them on, and what we have right now is designed to provide plenty of variety, but no fluff. If you require a massive number of resources and improvements to exist just for the sake of reality to enjoy p&w, perhaps this isn't the game for you. As for 10 minute turns, a Tournament Edition (or something like it) will be set up eventually, but I think you would find that 10 minute turns are fun for a little while, then get just as repetitive very quickly. (Plus war is a nightmare.)

• Upvote 1

"They say the secret to success is being at the right place at the right time. But since you never know when the right time is going to be, I figure the trick is to find the right place and just hang around!"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<Kastor> He left and my !@#$ nation is !@#$ed up. And the Finance guy refuses to help. He just writes his !@#$ plays.

<Kastor> And laughs and shit.

<Kastor> And gives out !@#$ huge loans to Arthur James, that !@#$ bastard.

the resource idea is horrible, what would they add to the game?

should be reduced to under 10 minute cycles

are you high, this game is supposed to take a long time. Lowering it to under 10 minutes would literally kill the game.

More improvements however i agree with

• Upvote 1

[00:37:08] You guys are just my puppets

[00:37:13] I am the master pulling the strings

[00:37:15] * Sheepy laughs evilly

This ten minute turn idea needs to die right now. I can tell you from experience of leading an alliance through speed round and getting second place during said round that ten minute turns are hell. It's WAY too taxing for alliances to keep up with it. With ten minute turns there is no sleep. No rest. No life. Only the game and endless raiding chaos.

Unless it were like a tournament addition. That would be cool.

Edited by CMDR Adama
  • Upvote 2

rsz_1g7q_ak91409798280.jpg

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a roll.

There is one you will follow. One who is the shining star, and he will lead you to beautiful places in the search of his own vanity. And when there is no more vanity to be found, he will leave you in darkness, as a fading memory of his own creation.

This ten minute turn idea needs to die right now. I can tell you from experience of leading an alliance through speed round and getting second place during said round that ten minute turns are hell. It's WAY too taxing for alliances to keep up with it. With ten minute turns there is no sleep. No rest. No life. Only the game and endless raiding chaos.

I absolutely agree; ten minute turns, while being fun for a little bit, really just turns into chaos after an extended period of time. I can imagine it would have gotten boring after a month because everyone being overpowered is not fun I can guarantee you that. 

[22:36:30]  <&CMDR_Adama>  I want to be spanked.

XglZlQC.jpg

• Administrators

I know I'm a little new to the game but i honestly think that there should be far more resources like gold, silver, copper, zinc, and other metals that players can mine. Secondly, the two-hour turns are far to time intensive and should be reduced to under 10 minute cycles. I also think that frankly the type of resources each continent has are far too limiting. Who had the bright Idea to completely take oil out of North America for example?! Lastly I think that the Categories listed under "improvements" should include more numerous options like solar energy, hardware stores, farmer's markets, car dealerships, and even bus stations and airports at LEAST. If they incorporated such options and users saw them, then they might be more likely to keep playing, not be bored with the game, and might even recommend it to their friends.

As others have said, the reason that we don't have 100 different resources and improvement types is that they don't do anything special. They look cool, and sound cool, but this is a numbers game and they really wouldn't add anything new. For example, when we first started development we were going to have Wind Power and Solar Power. Then, when working on the mechanics of the two, there wasn't really any difference. Sure, we could modify the prices, but then one would just be better than the other and whichever was more expensive would never get used. That's why I removed Solar Power entirely and added Nuclear Power instead -- it's powered differently and has different effects, but also has a different purpose: it powers big cities.

As for why there's no oil in North America, it's because of resource scarcity. We want to force nations to trade with each other, that's why each continent has either only coal or oil -- not both. The same goes for iron and bauxite, and lead and uranium. Diversity leads to trade and equality.

As for people recommending it to their friends, the game has grown significantly since it was launched. We started out two months ago with 0 nations, now we have over 1,500. I'd say we must be doing something right.

I absolutely agree; ten minute turns, while being fun for a little bit, really just turns into chaos after an extended period of time. I can imagine it would have gotten boring after a month because everyone being overpowered is not fun I can guarantee you that. 

It got boring after the first week. When we did speed round, the first 3 days or so had insane activity, but after that it dropped off so steeply we went from about 800 nations logging in per week before speed round to less than 400. We're only now, after 2 months of normal gameplay, reaching again the activity levels we had pre-speed round.

• Upvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Quite obvious. Two hours is enough anyway, the line for acceptable waiting time for me is every day.

105px-Coat_of_Arms_of_the_Polish_Crown.s

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna!

Why not gold sheepy? Forget the 10 minute turns, and make gold, and silver. the trading and profits will go up immensely,

Peace will never be accomplished without war, but war cannot happen without peace.... or something like that idk

• Administrators

Why not gold sheepy? Forget the 10 minute turns, and make gold, and silver. the trading and profits will go up immensely,

What would gold and silver do? Sure you could mine it and trade it, but if it doesn't have any purpose it won't have any value.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Gold could be used for technology

after all gold and silver are uses in electronics, you could add electronic stores

Peace will never be accomplished without war, but war cannot happen without peace.... or something like that idk

IIT: Morgan grasping for straws, straws made of precious metal, but straws nonetheless.

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

I'm really against the resources. 

Improvements, however, we could have small and large of each improvements. The large costing more, but producing/effecting stuff more. (Oilfield vs oil rig) 

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

okay so we are basically talking about tacking on a new layer to the game coz if we just expand and add new improvements they will either force out others or be totally useless. so i basically see 2 options  one of em is more national projects like we can go for cheaper infra or land or cities or less cd on building cities etc etc

or the technology system but then the question is how big is the bonus ?

i dont really see how to add extra resources though 

tumblr_n08c8brOmX1sk379io6_250.gif

Going for top nation

The simplicity of game mechanics is a good thing. The improvements and resources work. More than necessary is useless. Forget the ten minute turns - just give me $5 mil and triple production rates :D JK

That being said, some stuff that adds some depth, complexity and customization to the player experience would be nice. We need random stuff to happen to break up the predictability. We need a method to apply xp to our nations in different ways that change the direction of linear, uniform development. We need to be able to do more with our resources.

• Upvote 1

well the problem with random events is that it will pss peeps off i mean either its truly random and balanced in which case about 50% of all nations would be experiencing bad events or it is created so that the good outweigh the bad events in which case it is just a boost to everyone (on average)

the problem with more customizationis that there will probably be a best way of doing it soo that will be the way peeps do it unless its a quality of life thing

Going for top nation

could be small flavour choices like you can buy more soldiers each day or you double the age bonus or you decrease the CD on a new city small stuff like that ... so you can add your flavour to your nation 

Going for top nation

I doubt peeps would be upset about random events that would make the game less predictable. They would need to be very random. Bad or good. From a range of a minuscule effect to a very large effect. A widely swinging pendulum.

Xp (or points distributed in some other way) could be applied to so many different things that there couldn't be a best way. We could apply points to each improvement, military unit, population, GDP, tax rate, etc. Giving a minuscule cumulative boost. There's an opportunity cost and underlying risk to any "best way".

well you would actually have to do sth to ear xp points i assume soo the only way you could get it is by winning wars

coz if its trade you just do trade circles for xp
we can get xp rewarded daily based on nation age i guess 

Going for top nation