What would you do with 10 acres?

Sailor Jerry

So it's looking pretty good that the me and the fam will be getting a house soon that sits on about 10 acres of mainly grassland on slightly sloping hillside.  The property comes with the house which sits on the front 5 acres, there is a 3 horse stall barn (with water and electric) in the center of the property and the back 5 acres is split between 2 electrically fenced in pastures (roughly 2.5 acres each).  Now to the topic question.  What would you do with 10 acres?  We are not so much for livestock since we do travel a fair bit.....maybe later on down the road.  We are thinking of maybe converting the back area into a stocked pond and a dirt track for utvs, dirt bikes, whatever.  In the front section, just behind the house, maybe a pool of some sort.  My son wants a halfpipe.....but I'm not to sure about that.  We might even put in a half basketball court with some lighting.  WHAT WOULD YOU DO WITH IT!?!  

• Upvote 5

X4EfkAB.png

I would probably make a road and construct a few small fancy Victorian-style buildings and furnish them, and let people rent it out for honeymoons and vacations and stuff. Maybe my descendants could think of a better way to use it... :mellow:

putin-trump-sig_zps657urhx9.jpg

Shooting range that goes north to south. Plus, you could make some extra money if zoning regulations allow it to be commercial and you want the ATF to shoot any dogs in a 5 mile radius. 

Edited by WISD0MTREE

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

Build a greenhouse, Composting units, Collect bees. Make a self-sustained garden. Catch your own water, legal or not, to feed your gardens.

Use your land so you do not have to buy vegetables or fruits ever again. You can go shopping in your own backyard for your food.

• Upvote 4

Garden, orchard, and woodland I think with a moderate size plot. You could look at goats or geese too if you wanted livestock. Probably 1 acre garden, 1 acre house/yard stuff, 4 acre orchard, and 4 acre woodland/small livestock. It's too small to get enough fuel for wood heating and too small for cows, but goats or frequent bonfires would be pretty great. A large garden could provide all the veggies and a lot of the grains for a family of 4. 1 acre for a house is huge in any place I've lived, go nuts with the space. The orchard spacing is arbitrary, but they're pretty low attention beyond pruning and harvesting.

Next%20possible%20house_zpsgc3i6qw8.jpg

Ok, so here is the property layout......notice my nice "paint skills".  So the main property line in red, the house circled in yellow, the 3 horse barn circled in green and the two pastures in blue.  The property slopes mainly from the N.E. down to the S.W. and to the road at the bottom.  We just talked with the realtor yesterday and put in a bid/offer.  The good thing is, there are no other offers and the house has been on the market for a little over a year and the current owners haven't lived there in over 6 months.....so hopefully the offer goes through and I can start my new compound!!!!

• Upvote 6

X4EfkAB.png

If the tax bill is significant it may be worthwhile to put a large portion of the land to some cost effective agricultural use. Most states/counties will waive property taxes for land used in agriculture. Hay is generally the ideal tax crop.

If I had ten acres I'd build a legit castle. I'd keep enough animals, gardens, ponds to be self sufficient in food, energy, booze.

I didn't realize that I was quite so lucky, my family owns 80 some acres. A friend of mines family owns around 500, and thats not uncommon here. If I was you I would build a small pond somewhere on the property, also I would have a garden. If you have kids, you can pitch the garden as a business idea and take all of your grown produce and sell it at a local farmers market, if you have any in your area. If not a garden is always great fun for little kids.

Officer Nasty reporting for duty. 

So it's looking pretty good that the me and the fam will be getting a house soon that sits on about 10 acres of mainly grassland on slightly sloping hillside.  The property comes with the house which sits on the front 5 acres, there is a 3 horse stall barn (with water and electric) in the center of the property and the back 5 acres is split between 2 electrically fenced in pastures (roughly 2.5 acres each).  Now to the topic question.  What would you do with 10 acres?  We are not so much for livestock since we do travel a fair bit.....maybe later on down the road.  We are thinking of maybe converting the back area into a stocked pond and a dirt track for utvs, dirt bikes, whatever.  In the front section, just behind the house, maybe a pool of some sort.  My son wants a halfpipe.....but I'm not to sure about that.  We might even put in a half basketball court with some lighting.  WHAT WOULD YOU DO WITH IT!?!  

What would be the realistic limitations?

Tiocfaidh ár lá

=Censored by Politics and War Moderation team=

s6McZGm.jpg?1

What would be the realistic limitations?

What do you mean? The cost to put all that in.....or having the space? I could also use the dirt bike track area for RC cars and/or paintball. My wife was thinking of converting part of the barn into a pool house if and when we put a pool in.

X4EfkAB.png

What do you mean? The cost to put all that in.....or having the space? I could also use the dirt bike track area for RC cars and/or paintball. My wife was thinking of converting part of the barn into a pool house if and when we put a pool in.

Like financial limitations. If I would actually give serious answers, then I need to know these kind of things. Plus I would like to know about the general location. Nearest town's, population size, etc... There's a lot of factors that come into play here. 

• Upvote 1

Tiocfaidh ár lá

=Censored by Politics and War Moderation team=

s6McZGm.jpg?1

A few acres of land could be utilized for the purposes of producing fruits and vegetables in order to decrease one's expenses on food products. In the process, one would be capable of consuming fresh and organic fruits and vegetables rather than preserved and pre-packaged products. Hypothetically, the frontal region of the dwelling place shall consist of an abundance of fruits trees for decorative and resourceful purposes. However, the backyard would consist of potatoes, onions, tomatoes, and numerous other vegetables in order to enjoy organic meals while selling the excessive amount of crop-based resources for profits.

​Edit: For the purposes of generating profit, one could be capable of either:

​A) Forming a miniature gas-station near the main road
​B) Producing a few comfortable yet miniature households that could be rented at a cheap price.

Edited by Mungu Gavana
  • Upvote 1

Like financial limitations. If I would actually give serious answers, then I need to know these kind of things. Plus I would like to know about the general location. Nearest town's, population size, etc... There's a lot of factors that come into play here.

You gotta assume a ten acre spread is in the middle of nowhere. Although, I'm sure there's a wal mart within 45 minutes. There's not too many places cut off from markets any more, so I'm sure a weekly trip to some shitty farmer's market is reasonable.

As far as financial resources, no one ever has enough to do more than a bit at a time. You just add a bit each year.

• 1 month later...

I apologize in advance for the gravedig, but just wanted to share the news! This baby is now all mine! Just got the keys last week and have moving. Finally got our crap out of our other house and finished moving today. The house, garage and barn all look like a bomb has just gone off and it'll take a few weeks to get all the boxes unpacked and stuff put away.....so probably won't do to much to the place until next spring!

• Upvote 1

X4EfkAB.png

If I had ten acres, I would personally construct homes for those who are poor, in three acres, and in the rest, I would build the following: A barn, a shelter in case of a tornado, a greenhouse, among others things.

I apologize in advance for the gravedig, but just wanted to share the news! This baby is now all mine! Just got the keys last week and have moving. Finally got our crap out of our other house and finished moving today. The house, garage and barn all look like a bomb has just gone off and it'll take a few weeks to get all the boxes unpacked and stuff put away.....so probably won't do to much to the place until next spring!

That's awesome man, congrats. :)

We have seized the means of production. Though union, and self-governance, we have organized between all peoples of the land.

If I had ten acres, I would personally construct homes for those who are poor, in three acres, and in the rest, I would build the following: A barn, a shelter in case of a tornado, a greenhouse, among others things.

And, then give the poor tenets a few cigs and a little alcohol for slave labor? Help me understand this.