9/29/2015 - Custom Nation Backgrounds for VIPs

Alex

• Administrators

Along with a number or minor improvements and changes that better the game every day, I've got an exciting announcement for everyone!

VIP members have a new perk, and that is that you can have a custom nation background for your nation page. Here's an example picture of what my nation looks like:

aumABY4.jpg

Very similar to National Anthems, as a VIP member you simply go to the Donate page, click "Custom Nation Background" (It will only appear if you've purchased VIP) and then submit your request. Within 48 hours I'll get around to approving it, and you'll have a dapper looking nation page! Neat, huh?

A few important things that I should mention are:

• Image sizes can be 1280 by 720 pixels, max.
  • Background tile horizontally, but not vertically
  • They do not fade to white automatically. I edited my picture and added a white gradient at the bottom, which is something you're welcome to do, but it will not happen on it's own

I'm excited to see what kind of neat pictures everyone comes up with, and encourage anyone who is not a VIP member to make the transition (It's only $5) and help support the game. The option is available directly on the Donate page. 

If you have any questions, please let me know. Enjoy!

• Upvote 4

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

It doesn't work for me, when i click on the "Change Nation Background" Button" in the donate area, all i get is:
http://prntscr.com/8lpqlm

Tested Browsers: Chrome, IE, Firefox
Clearing the whole cache stuff on Chrome didnt help too.

Btw, it's not a problem with Flags and anthems. But approving each nation background is very annoying, since I for example would like to play with a lot of different background (change them frequently, adjust them in size, doing photoshop etc.) Just by uploading one i dont know if it will look good ingame then.
I doubt anyone dares to upload a nazi flag as background, and we have enough (sometimes overly-)dedicated members to instantly report stuff like that.

It doesn't work for me, when i click on the "Change Nation Background" Button" in the donate area, all i get is:

Btw, it's not a problem with Flags and anthems. But approving each nation background is very annoying, since I for example would like to play with a lot of different background (change them frequently, adjust them in size, doing photoshop etc.) Just by uploading one i dont know if it will look good ingame then.

I doubt anyone dares to upload a nazi flag as background, and we have enough (sometimes overly-)dedicated members to instantly report stuff like that.

I don't think it's necessary to even show people what their nation background is, if it only shows up on their screen.

• Upvote 1

putin-trump-sig_zps657urhx9.jpg

• Administrators

Sorry about that, I screwed up when I updated the files and didn't get it working quite right on the live server before I made the announcement. The page exists and works now, so go ahead and send in your requests!

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

it makes me puke...

Got mine ready:

ktTQHOP.jpg

Caliph of The Caliphate of Arabia. Caliph of the Islamic State of Arabia. Principle of The Principality of Chechnya. Grand Emir of The Emirate of The Caucus. Emperor of the Empire of Persia. Sultan of The Sultanates of Turkey and The Crimea. Czar of the Tsardom of The Balkans. Archon of The Archonate of Greece. Supreme Consul of The Consulate of Italy. Shah of The Shahdom Of Khorason

This was my suggestion but not how invisioned it. I was looking for a picture though nice touch. I was hoping that I could change the color scheme of my page. Like change the blue to green or purple and the white background to black. I really like the "Computer" terminal look. Might you add color customization as well?

• Upvote 1

:wub: -removed by thor- :wub:

This was my suggestion but not how invisioned it. I was looking for a picture though nice touch. I was hoping that I could change the color scheme of my page. Like change the blue to green or purple and the white background to black. I really like the "Computer" terminal look. Might you add color customization as well?

I was thinking of this a few weeks ago, too. And maybe different hues for the white, like on the test server?

• Upvote 1

• Administrators

Cool! Aside from typo fixes, what kind of minor improvements and changes were made?

There are now indicators on ground, air, and naval battle screens that pop up if you're missing resources (gasoline/munitions) to use all of your forces.

I also cleaned up the little green indicators when you purchase military units to be the nicer styled ones used around the rest of the site.

I'm sure there have been a number of other changes that I can't think of, but those are two that I made last night.

Will alliances eventually be able to have custom backgrounds as well?

Yes, I think so at some point.

Forums Rules | Game Link

So it only takes half a day to go from idea to implementation for VIP benefits? I have an awesome idea, let's have a VIP-only feature where any single VIPer can disable treasures game-wide.

• Upvote 1

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

• Administrators

So it only takes half a day to go from idea to implementation for VIP benefits? I have an awesome idea, let's have a VIP-only feature where any single VIPer can disable treasures game-wide.

This was a simple, 20 minutes to implement idea that I had. Testing took about 1 minute on the test server to look at it, make sure nothing was broken, and roll it out. If gameplay changes were that easy, we'd have new content all the time.

On a separate note, I did make a change just now so that these backgrounds no longer repeat. Instead they'll be stretched to simply fit your resolution.

Forums Rules | Game Link

On a separate note, I did make a change just now so that these backgrounds no longer repeat. Instead they'll be stretched to simply fit your resolution.

My background fit on my screen prior to this change. Now it looks weird--as if it were being stretched beyond the browser window. Zoom is at 100% btw.

Does that mean there's still the 1280x720(and this ratio) limit or can we upload High Res images like with flags (which get scaled down without losing detail) ?

1920x1080, 3840x2160 etc...

• Administrators

Does that mean there's still the 1280x720(and this ratio) limit or can we upload High Res images like with flags (which get scaled down without losing detail) ?

1920x1080, 3840x2160 etc...

The limit still applies, as users still have to download the whole image regardless of whether it's tiled across or stretched. I understand there can be some quality loss (depending on your screen resolution) but until we live in an era of high speed connections for all, we'll have to keep the limits.

Forums Rules | Game Link

• 2 weeks later...

I think everyone should be able to customise it, not just the people who are allowed to spend money. :/

Exactly.

Or at least sell it permanently for one credit, I'd rather not pay for VIP every damn month.

• Upvote 1

• Administrators

I think everyone should be able to customise it, not just the people who are allowed to spend money. :/

Exactly.

Or at least sell it permanently for one credit, I'd rather not pay for VIP every damn month.

It's a completely unnecessary cosmetic bonus, and this is a free to play game. Sure, I could let everyone have free flags and backgrounds and anthems, but then the game is either going to go under or have to be more pay-to-win (more spend real money for in-game cash) type purchases to pay for costs. I think most players would rather have it as it currently is, and let the players with the most money have the shiniest nation pages, and not the best nations in the game.

• Upvote 1

Forums Rules | Game Link

• Jax locked this topic