6/30/2015 - Player Advertisements

Alex

• Administrators

You now have the ability to buy and display player advertisements! You've probably noticed them already from the couple that I tested out.

Player Advertisements are a way for you to send out mass messages, spread propaganda, recruit new alliance members, etc. This new feature is your oyster. I'll be manually approving all ads to make sure nothing rule-breaking or otherwise inappropriate is sent using this system. Just like flags and anthems, you'll have to wait a (normally short) period of time for my approval.

Player Ads allow you to use bold, italics, underline, hyperlinks, and one image (up to 1000 by 150 pixels in size, it will scale with the user's viewing window). You are capped at up to 300 characters per ad.

Advertisements can be tailored to whatever group you wish to view them. You can set your ad to be viewable by anyone, only nations not in alliances, or only nations in an alliance of your choice. For example, you could create a recruitment advertisement with a link to your alliance page and a catchy image that is only viewable by nations not in alliances. Or you could create some sort of propaganda advertisement, like "So and so alliance is better than blah blah alliance", perhaps even make an image out of it, and let it only be viewable by blah blah alliance. Like I said, you can really use this however you'd like, these are only my suggestions for possible options.

Advertisements cost 1 credit, and will run for up to 7 days (84 turns) or 70,000 views, whichever it reaches first. You can also extend them, which costs 1 credit, but gives your advertisement an additional 120 turns and 100,000 views (more than you initially start with; it's a discounted rate).

Advertisements can be managed and extended on your Account page. You can track how many views they have and how long they have left to run. 

When logged in, each page has a 20% chance of displaying a player advertisement. The advertisement that is displayed to the player is chosen at random from all of the applicable advertisements to him.

If you have any questions, let me know, I think I've explained the system pretty well. If you'd like to be one of the first, you can send your ad request here: https://politicsandwar.com/donate/advertisement/

Remember, if you don't have any credits or don't want to spend any real life money, you may be able to find some credits for sale on the market from other players.

• Upvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

These ads are intrusive AF. Way worse than the Google ads. I guess PW is coming off of my adblock whitelist in protest. I like the concept, but they are wayy to large and in the way.

• Upvote 1

there are too many ads which can't be disabled, more like a commercial thing from sponsor....but the conflict btw alliance sounds better.

Can I put 1 vote down for this?

Why there is no dislike button? or we simply ignore it?

Edited by Arthur James

Jesus. I didn't get what people were complaining about as it's fine on mobile with the show hide toggle. Please introduce this on desktop too, having it shown is really ghastly. If you do this you can also increase the 20%.

Edited by Phiney
T7Vrilp.png

• Administrators

See, now we talked about this a while ago and everyone liked the idea :P

http://politicsandwar.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5937-in-game-banner-ads-for-politics/

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Sheepy, is there a way I can block another players ads so I do not have to look or read them since they become pretty annoying

You can pay 2 credits to have them removed.

:D

• Upvote 1

If I had a credit, I would by an adspace that said "HELLO I'M  A LARGE INTRUSIVE AD IN ALL-CAPS THAT YOU CAN'T REMOVE HAHAHA"

note: oh hey the cheapest credit in the player market is only $ 1,350,000. I might actually do this lol

Edited by Bilal the Great

indonesia.jpg

King Bilal the Great Mediocre

The Average monarch of Billonesia

Wikia page (if you're into roleplay things).

We Tvtropes now. (down the rabbit hole!)

• Administrators

adds look like garbage. Seeing crudely drawn paint bs on every other screen is annoying and makes it look cheap.

That's what people want for ads. How could a system determining what is a "quality" ad and what isn't work?

Forums Rules | Game Link

That's what people want for ads. How could a system determining what is a "quality" ad and what isn't work?

What about a little vote thing at the bottom of the ad? ("Is this ad useful/attractive/good at all? yes or no") Ads that get upvoted get a few more views added to their account, and crap ads expire faster. If someone wants to spend money and submit an awful looking ad, then they deserve to have their ad tossed out sooner and have their credits go to waste. Some of these ads are downright ugly and have no place in this game, regardless of how much real money a player spent on it.

Semi related: When are you going to implement Google Wallet/Amazon/Bitcoin? You're putting too much emphasis credits without providing decent means of obtaining them. The market for second-hand credits is abysmal right now. I'd love to take advantage of some of the nonsense that credits can provide, but I will not use Paypal under any circumstances.

• Jax locked this topic