remove the ability to go into vacation mode during war or alliance wars

rapmanej

Typically features like this would be expected to actually have a cooldown period where they cannot be entered into until a few days after the last war is over. The idea that vacation mode can actually be entered into in the middle of a war just boggles my mind. The fact that the admin approves of it is even crazier.

From what I understand, vacation mode is not supposed to be a peace mode. Yet game mechanics allow it to be used that way even in the blatant example of a nation entering it in the middle of a war. You can say that attacks are still performed nonetheless, but the fact is it stops further declarations from being made.

Vacation mode is exactly what it's for.  It's also why Sheepy allowed the nation to still be attacked in current wars with no way of retaliating.  It's also why you cannot rebuild DURING vacation time.  You get nothing from it other than time lost.

Vacation mode is exactly what it's for.  It's also why Sheepy allowed the nation to still be attacked in current wars with no way of retaliating.  It's also why you cannot rebuild DURING vacation time.  You get nothing from it other than time lost.

You get saved from further infra damage beyond the initial war. You get saved from further war declarations. I am pretty positive this guy would not have entered vacation mode if Mensa HQ was winning the war.

You get saved from further infra damage beyond the initial war. You get saved from further war declarations. I am pretty positive this guy would not have entered vacation mode if Mensa HQ was winning the war.

You know nothing of Kemal.  He's a PhD economist who teaches at a top 10 US university.  He travels often and presents his research.  

Seriously.  This is petty.  This is a game played by a few thousand on the internet.  It ain't work.

Priest of Dio

"Vacation Mode is not a tool to use to avoid wars, and it is not a "peace mode"."

The problem with this is that in the current setup, it's very easy to use it as a tool for precisely that. Look at Cybernations for a classic example of how wars in this game will probably happen a fair portion. 1 alliance or group of alliances plans to attack another, their enemies get wind of it. They find out their players who are not qualified or ready for war, and send them into "peace mode". The one difference in this game is that instead of "Shit collections", you just don't collect anything. This isn't really a 'punishment', it's just a temporary hold on their nation so they can avoid all the damages of war.

The current situation is way more than this one case of a person supposedly leaving on vacation with wars going on (yet still has time to defend himself on forums and first thing he said was crying about avoiding Mr 11 and 12). They can still do damage to him and he can't fight back. Not as good as it could of been, as alliance wars DON'T last just one round, but it's a reasonable alternative. However, that's just one of many times and ways that this could and will be abused.

This would be another example. No wars going on, has left Guardians, and gone into vacation mode. While true, he could really be on vacation, it's too easy to assume that he used vacation mode to avoid wars.

• Upvote 2

My objection to your criticisms is that you are by default assuming that everyone who uses vacation mode during an active alliance war is using it to avoid further damage.  I personally don't believe that players should have to choose between real life demands and those of a !@#$ing internet game.  

• Upvote 1

Priest of Dio

Nobody's being forced to choose between real life and a game. What they're being forced to do is not go into vacation mode to hide from a war. If you don't care about the game then you can leave it to burn.

Edited by Estelle

If this was being used the day before the war to avoid damage, it would be abuse. It is in fact a way damage an opponent while they can't fight back...... Just the way BoC likes it

If the guy wasn't from Mensa, Estelle wouldn't care. The logic is sound, Sheepy has responded and made a reasonable argument. The rest is just the bitter aftertaste of unsatisfied bloodlust. 

• Upvote 2

Having had their test case proven unreliable as a wipping boy stelle now suggests that if RL appears more important than a vidya game:

"If you don't care about the game then you can leave"

Very mature stel.

As an adult who likes to game I can tell you that at the he end of the he day RL is always > vidya.

Edited by LordRahl2

-signature removed for rules violation-

There's obviously going to be potential for abuse with a feature like Vacation Mode.

I think the limits we have in place to curb this abuse are effective enough, though.

1) Having a minimum of 14 days in Vacation Mode makes anyone think twice about just jumping in. You're disabling your nation for the next 2 weeks, is it really worth it just to not take a bit more damage? You're probably hurting yourself in the long run, since you're not making any money in the mean time.

2) Vacation mode prevents you from attacking anyone. As in this instance, the player who went to vacation mode can no longer attack his opponents, but his opponents are free to continue to attack him. This is obviously a huge disadvantage and deterrent to abusing Vacation mode, while still making it accessible for folks who are legitimately leaving, even if they're involved in a war.

Sorry sheeps but once again you clearly don't get how damaging losing a war can be, it can very easily take much more than 14 days to rebuild the damages sustained in 5 days from a couple of wars. I'd say more often than not it does in alliance wars. 14 days of no income but peace is definitely the better option for nation growth than 5 days of war.

T7Vrilp.png

If the guy wasn't from Mensa, Estelle wouldn't care. The logic is sound, Sheepy has responded and made a reasonable argument. The rest is just the bitter aftertaste of unsatisfied bloodlust. 

Not at all. Believe it or not, I do look at every situation as objectively as I can. In this case I assumed vacation mode was not able to be entered into in the middle of a war, and was surprised to find out that's not the case. Since I think it's a mistake to allow vacation mode in the middle of a war, I decide to give my input.

Having had their test case proven unreliable as a wipping boy stelle now suggests that if RL appears more important than a vidya game:

Very mature stel.

As an adult who likes to game I can tell you that at the he end of the he day RL is always > vidya.

I never said any such thing. I said if you don't care about the game then you should be fine with leaving your nation to burn. You guys are the ones saying "We don't care about the game, but pretty please let me hide away in vacation mode so nobody can attack me."

The bottom line is that yet another example of a nation hiding away in vacation mode has been discovered. Unless you mean to tell me that people who are losing wars are suddenly having to leave with no internet access, then it's clear what's going on. The fact that you are denying it because it benefits you and your friends doesn't change that.

Mensa and Guardian will not be the last to abuse this. I can tell you that right now.

Edited by Estelle
  • Upvote 1

My words:

Nobody's being forced to choose between real life and a game. What they're being forced to do is not go into vacation mode to hide from a war. If you don't care about the game then you can leave it to burn.

Your words:

Those are not at all the same. I was clearly referring to your nation. You were trying to paint it as something it's not.

Nope. I see exact quote right there. Missed a non critical propositional phrase... But I am on mobile.

Then you are clearly blind and don't understand context. Move along now, kiddo.

• Upvote 1

Well people who work generally have to book it in advance anyway. It's not like vacation mode is for a long weekend in Prague.

or some people have important jobs that sometimes have to travel without notice FOR work.

I don't think it's an issue of "potential for abuse" so much as "the front door for abuse is left wide open and with a giant sign on the mailbox that says "Come on in!"

I guess the lesson won't be learned until some alliance goes into vacation mode en masse when they start losing a war.

and then they are set back 2 weeks in growth.

in some ways it will have the same effect as a war.

Estelle's just mad that he can't bombard a enemy for any longer to stat pad from.  Dude seriously cares way too much about his pixels, which is evident from his long postings about Guardian's history and his shitposting on Guardian.

"Try to look at things as objectively as I can"

Bull!@#$ingshit.

Then you go on to label off Mensa (and Guardian) entirely as abusing this mechanic when it was one damn player in a 70+ alliance.  Pathetic.

Estelle, if things were your way, people would get juggled with war dec's to prevent them from going into vacation mode.

Estelle's just mad that he can't bombard a enemy for any longer to stat pad from.  Dude seriously cares way too much about his pixels, which is evident from his long postings about Guardian's history and his !@#$posting on Guardian.

"Try to look at things as objectively as I can"

Bull !@#$!@#$.

Then you go on to label off Mensa (and Guardian) entirely as abusing this mechanic when it was one damn player in a 70+ alliance.  Pathetic.

Estelle, if things were your way, people would get juggled with war dec's to prevent them from going into vacation mode.

What I can take from this post is that you think it is a bad thing to contribute to the forums, and that people who do it should be looked down upon for it. I had a different perspective that I could offer to the community by explaining events as I saw them. As someone who was directly involved and saw it all go down, I would say I was uniquely qualified to comment.

Most of the rest of this post is just whining because you don't like my opinion and feel that I am biased against you. I regret to inform you that my personal feelings on Mensa had nothing to do with my conclusion that vacation mode during war shouldn't be allowed. It isn't all about you, believe it or not.

My last point: People wouldn't attack you to keep you out of vacation mode. They would attack you because their alliance is at war with you. There is a pretty big difference.

Sorry sheeps but once again you clearly don't get how damaging losing a war can be, it can very easily take much more than 14 days to rebuild the damages sustained in 5 days from a couple of wars. I'd say more often than not it does in alliance wars. 14 days of no income but peace is definitely the better option for nation growth than 5 days of war.

It took me a month or so (maybe a bit less) to rebuild from the Hypocrisy war (a bit less than two weeks) which was far less damaging on top tiers than this war and that was with the !@#$ 2 mil forum spam bonus :v

Edited by underlordgc

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

Most of the rest of this post is just whining because you don't like my opinion and feel that I am biased against you. I regret to inform you that my personal feelings on Mensa had nothing to do with my conclusion that vacation mode during war shouldn't be allowed. It isn't all about you, believe it or not.

All of my experiences with you make me refuse to believe this statement at all. Just thought you should know.

☾☆

Priest of Dio

º¤ø„¤¤º°¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸
¨°º¤ø„¸ GOD EMPEROR DIO BRANDO¨°º¤ø„¸
¨°º¤ø„¸ DIO BRANDO GOD EMPEROR¨°º¤ø„¸
¨°º¤ø„¤¤º°¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸

6m0xPQ1.gif