Pay To Win

MRBOOTY

Pfeiffer brought this up on "K", and I thought it was a really good point. Right now, it seems you can buy as many credits with real life money as you want, and cash in 6 of them and sell the rest on the market. This is a bit problematic because it creates a pay to win system, and that severely limits the quality and life span of any game. I know Sheepy said he wanted to move away from in-game rewards for donating, and I would highly suggest that be sooner rather than later :mellow:

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

• Upvote 2

MR BOOTY IN DA HOUSE

Not just selling, buying the credits themselves should be capped.

That wouldn't be a bad idea either but as my previous statement said, you should only be able to redeem 6 per month or sell 6 per month, not both other than to redeem for flags and other like.

• Upvote 4

:wub: -removed by thor- :wub:

Eh, it'd make him more in the long run. By fostering a competitive environment, he'll keep the game going longer and keep it growing. Plus, he seems to care about the game in general for the sake of the game.

Edit: haha LordRahl got there first

Edited by MRBOOTY
  • Upvote 1

MR BOOTY IN DA HOUSE

There should be a cap on the amount of credits one can buy per month. However, not on selling them on the market. 

People(Myself included) have made some cash from them, buying/selling. That shouldn't be effected. 

• Upvote 2

I'm one of those that buy a lot of credits and I don't do it to "win"... I don't think you can win in a game like this. Who has won out of us who bought credits? I mainly bought them cause I couldn't wait for ages for the revenue to come or for something to happen and because I want to help Sheepy to improve it. Also, I think there are enough mechanisms present in the game that limit us buyers from getting too much money. One is the limit of 6 credits per month and the other are rules of supply and demand. Recently it has been really hard to sell credits simply because there is not enough people willing to give up of their cash for them. So the free market should settle this one and seems to me like it is...

If we talk about fairness in the game, would you like the game to be reset every 6 months, or longer? Because I'll never be able to catch up with people who started playing this months or even weeks before because of the time limits on certain things. Also, I'll never be able to stack up as many spies as they do, especially since they don't even need infrastructure anymore so they can afford to go in hundreds with them. I don't say I want the game or server to be reset, just pointing out that not everything is fair and that "pay-to-win" is more like "pay-to-speed-up" since winning is hardly possible.

Edited by Ryu

The problem is if someone at the top like me did what you are doing. I could get months ahead of others and then the public outcry would be massive. Anyway, Sheepy is aware of the issue and thinking of ways to solve it as we speak.

• Upvote 1
T7Vrilp.png

The problem is if someone at the top like me did what you are doing. I could get months ahead of others and then the public outcry would be massive. Anyway, Sheepy is aware of the issue and thinking of ways to solve it as we speak.

Assumes facts not in evidence.

I think there should be a hard cap on purchasing credits with cash. There's no reason people shouldn't be able to currency trade or speculate on the market in game, but when (for a couple hundred bucks) you can print millions and millions of dollars...the game will inevitably be thrown out of balance. It's a slippery slope, and despite his claims not to want a 'pay to win' game, everything points to the fact that Sheepy does in fact want that, as it will give him the most bang for his buck. Then he can open up another game, and repeat the cycle with largely the same player base.

I say that as someone who has benefited, both personally and as an alliance, from there not being a cap. It needs to happen for the long term health of the game.

☾☆ Chairman Emeritus of Mensa HQ ☾☆

"It's not about the actual fish, themselves. Fish are not important in this context. It's about fish-ing, the act of fishing itself." -Jack O'Neill

iMZejv3.gif

• Administrators

Agreed if you want to limit it you should be only able to sell 6 or redeem 6 for the month and not both.

This is my line of thinking. I prefer this method to capping how many credits a player can purchase.

Not just selling, buying the credits themselves should be capped.

This I don't necessarily agree with. What if I want an alliance pip, two alliance flags, a nation flag, and the nation bonus. That's 18 credits, but only 6 are going towards any actual bonus. Why cap you so you can't get the cosmetic bonuses?

Assumes facts not in evidence.

I think there should be a hard cap on purchasing credits with cash. There's no reason people shouldn't be able to currency trade or speculate on the market in game, but when (for a couple hundred bucks) you can print millions and millions of dollars...the game will inevitably be thrown out of balance. It's a slippery slope, and despite his claims not to want a 'pay to win' game, everything points to the fact that Sheepy does in fact want that, as it will give him the most bang for his buck. Then he can open up another game, and repeat the cycle with largely the same player base.

I say that as someone who has benefited, both personally and as an alliance, from there not being a cap. It needs to happen for the long term health of the game.

Another game? You must think I'm crazy. This one is enough of a pain in the butt as is.

• Upvote 2

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

I meant once you milk this one dry, obviously.

That being said, unless you're also going to put a cap on how many 'mules' a person can use to redeem credits, putting any other cap (that doesn't limit purchases of credits from you) is meaningless.

As to pips, flags, whatever...just charge them whatever money that is directly, if they've hit the credit limit. It worked perfectly well before.

"It's not about the actual fish, themselves. Fish are not important in this context. It's about fish-ing, the act of fishing itself." -Jack O'Neill

iMZejv3.gif

• Administrators

If you cap how many credits you can sell, it doesn't matter how many credits you have. You could have 1,000 in your account, but only 6 of them can be redeemed for any sort of cash per month, and that's why I think it's the best method.

• Upvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

If you cap how many credits you can sell, it doesn't matter how many credits you have. You could have 1,000 in your account, but only 6 of them can be redeemed for any sort of cash per month, and that's why I think it's the best method.

Not if you continue to allow people to redeem credits on other nations, then have that nation donate the money back to them.

Either you allow loopholes for pay to win to exist, or you don't.

iMZejv3.gif

Well... Then you should make the cap according to the person who's exchanged the most credits so far... Cause they had months to do it and it means little to them now if you introduce the cap since they've already developed their country. Or make the cap according to one's GDP or infrastructure or nation age. A formula so the most developed and/or oldest get to exchange only 6 and the least developed and/or youngest can exchange more.

The money usually goes from more developed to less developed so source for credit money are these big players anyway...

Yeah sheep, you gotta cap the actual buying of them. Any other way will result in a player working around the system. Cosmetic stuff can just cost RL monies directly. I do not care if someone has 1000 pips.

• Upvote 1

-signature removed for rules violation-

This I don't necessarily agree with. What if I want an alliance pip, two alliance flags, a nation flag, and the nation bonus. That's 18 credits, but only 6 are going towards any actual bonus. Why cap you so you can't get the cosmetic bonuses?

If you limit the market buying/selling you limit people being able to acquire credits for cosmetic bonuses, too.  If credit creation was hard capped, a player could still buy more credits on the market for the rest of the month. 

Edit: and if you want all those cosmetic bonuses, you can spread them out over two months, instead of one. That or buy credits on the market if you're impatient. It's unlikely that pattern of credit usage would be a regular thing every month for one player.

Edited by Princess Bubblegum

• Administrators

I'll be making an update tonight for the next month in regards to how donations work.

• Upvote 1

Forums Rules | Game Link

Just a thought, you could make it so credits aren't redeemable at all and are only used for cosmetics. And the 4.5 mill people usually redeem through credits can be purchased directly. No loopholes

You could buy it for someone, and have them send the 4mill -- and let them keep 100k or so for the favour.

200px-UPN.svg.png

Second in Command of UPN