reputation mechanic

Hereno

this mechanic would give each nation a fictional "national reputation" rating, representing how other nations see them on the international stage

it would range from 0 to 100:

01-20: Axis of Evil

21-40: Rogue State

41-60: Neutral

61-80: Positive Influence

81-100: Beacon of Hope

each stage would have various mechanics that would impact nations. at 1 reputation, a nation might get 10% less income than normal; whereas at 100 reputation, it might get a production boost of 5%

the idea being that this mechanic then becomes a tool by which to enforce the morality of the world on nations: it accurately represents that there are real consequences for offending public opinion, regardless of "government type"

things that can lower reputation:

declaring wars: drop by 5 for every war declared

espionage: drop by 2 if you are caught

using nuclear weapons: drop by 20 for every nuke used

things that can raise reputation:

time: chilling out will make your reputation go up by 1 per day

winning wars: winning a war will gain you back 3 reputation points

• Upvote 4

Most people want to see more wars, this suggestion would give yet another reason to prevent alliance wars from happening. I just don't necessarily see it adding anything to the game besides a realism aspect, which, imo, has no place when deciding what to add to the game.

• Upvote 3

uHQTKq6.png

what if we made it so that declaring on someone with a low reputation gained you reputation points, rather than lowering them?

the idea behind this is to limit raiding: it takes a significant amount of wars - including many losing wars - to actually drop reputation substantially

that only occurs when you're a raider who gets into trouble and gets smacked around. it insulates the losers in war from having their reputations damaged, but it can eventually serve as a mechanic that will induce victors to peace out sooner rather than later

the result being a faster war cycle. wars end quickly with basis in game mechanics: because it is actually against the victor's interest to significantly beat down an opponent. it raises the threshold for that sort of behavior, making it a lot more special and purposeful

i think this is something that benefits everybody in the long-term

• Upvote 1

Most people want to see more wars, this suggestion would give yet another reason to prevent alliance wars from happening. I just don't necessarily see it adding anything to the game besides a realism aspect, which, imo, has no place when deciding what to add to the game.

The idea is good though, just maybe not the mechanics

If we could find a good way of polling international opinion, that would fix this 

It does add realism, and it could work well

But you're right that we shouldn't base it on declaring war, lest we want noone to be shell(ed)

Maybe there could be an option if someone declared on you that says "challenge to the international community"

And if the international community decides against one's case, their reputation goes down by a certain quantity?

We could have polls here, to liven up the forums

And there could be other mechanisms too, to help fill the reputation quorums

I don't know, this might be a tough idea to create

But if you ask me, it's good enough that it warrants debate

MR BOOTY IN DA HOUSE

I sort of like the idea. As for the warring aspect......for aggressors, if they attack nations that are lower then they are, give them a negative rep which is based proportional to difference in the gap of the scores.....the bigger the gap, the bigger the negative. Now if the aggressor attacks a larger nation, then the opposite. A positive rep would be gained.....the bigger the score gap, the bigger the positive. Any defending nation should always get a positive rep for winning a war, but make it based on the score differential between the two nations. If the defender is the much bigger nation, then they would get a rather small positive rep, but if the defending nation is much smaller, then the defender would get a much larger positive rep.

Not sure about the issuing of rep in other areas. The nuke idea is good idea I think, not sure about other negative ones though. As for positive ones, I'm not sure either, maybe by activity level? Some mechanic for logging in everyday like the $10k bonus. I like the idea of a positve rep for donating stuff, like giving aid, but I'm sure how that would work or could be tracked.

X4EfkAB.png

things that can lower reputation:

declaring wars: drop by 5 for every war declared

espionage: drop by 2 if you are caught

using nuclear weapons: drop by 20 for every nuke used

things that can raise reputation:

time: chilling out will make your reputation go up by 1 per day

winning wars: winning a war will gain you back 3 reputation points

Regular missiles should decrease reputation as well; in fact using them should be –20, and Nuclear Weapons should be –50. 

Z98SzIG.png

• Administrators

I like the idea, just without the bonuses tied in. Why not just make it a fun "roleplay" type mechanic, with no actual bearing on how successful your nation is?

• Upvote 3

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

You can't put a penalty on nations for going to war, and then expect the game politics to survive in the long term.

• Upvote 2

rsz_1g7q_ak91409798280.jpg

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a roll.

There is one you will follow. One who is the shining star, and he will lead you to beautiful places in the search of his own vanity. And when there is no more vanity to be found, he will leave you in darkness, as a fading memory of his own creation.

We could also add bonuses for being in negative reputation so that this benefits raiders too. For example, 100 reputation gives you 5 percent income while 0 reputation give you 5 percent less military upkeep or something like that.

I kind of like this idea, maybe there should also be some influence on reputation that comes from your policies! YES, that could be a big factor, finally policies would have a real purpose, to actually influence your reputation, but the reputation from your policies would have to have only bonuses but give bonuses to different areas. I do think the mechanics would have to be worked out, but I like the idea of reputation.

"Head-shots for days"

What's next?  Permission slips, Conduct Committees, Public Flogging if you don't play the game by certain accepted standards?  How about we just let people play the game without constantly trying to devise ways to force them into "conforming" to someone else's notion of what the game is.

"the idea behind this is to limit raiding:"

Just get Sheepy to do away with raiding in the game.  Your problem will be solved. The horrors of raiding will be eliminated, we'll be one step closer to cloning all players, another step closer to eliminating both politics and war from the game, and another step closer to the dream of renaming the game Pixel Empires.

Uh, don't want to state the obvious, but if we want to encourage alliance wars, maybe this mechanic could work in reverse (and a slightly less US-centric scale):

01-20: Bacon of Hope (bacon is SO much better)

21-40: Wuss

41-60: Neutral

61-80: Rogue State

81-100: Axis of Good

Let's face it - in RL the nations who are the best at war are the "good guys"... And if you really stand aside from war, you are basically bacon.

Are you originally from Earth, too?

Proud owner of Harry's goat. It's mine now.

I now own MinesomeMC's goat, too. It's starting to look like a herd.

Yep, it is a herd. Aldwulf has added his goat, too, and it ain't Irish.

If you can get bonus military strength as your reputation goes down to the sink, this thing will actually buff up raiders instead of limiting their movements. Sure, they will lose like $30,000 daily revenue, but now they get to have stronger soldiers, which means more raiding money for them.

UedhRvY.png