Resource Icons

Alex

• Administrators

I'd like to see us get some real, nice looking resource icons. The ones we're currently using don't look very good, and they don't "match". I'd love to open this up to everyone who might be interested, basically we need a 16x16 icon for each resource, that's 11 resources total. 

Ideally, we could make this a competition and open it up to the community to vote on. We'll see how it goes and if anyone is interested in participating, but I'd be willing to give the winner a $30 donation to their nation and a $10 nation flag.

Go ahead and post your submissions here, to be a part of the competition you must post a complete set of 11 icons (one for each resource).

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Eh, honestly, the only things that really need to be changed are lead/iron and maybe aluminum just so people can tell the difference easier

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

Eh, honestly, the only things that really need to be changed are lead/iron and maybe aluminum just so people can tell the difference easier

I agree. Most of the resource icons are okay. Iron and lead should be changed though. 

I always appreciate how you crowdsource things like this and encourage participation from the community in improving the game. :)

I wish to gain future brownie points by seconding this offering of praise. :)

• Upvote 3

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

I wish to gain future brownie points by seconding this offering of praise. :)

Same here :).

But I do agree that only iron, lead, aluminum, and maybe munitions need to be changed. Otherwise, I think it looks pretty good. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrators

I agree that they're not bad, but they could be better. It's a pretty simple improvement I think that would make the game a little more clean cut and professional :) I've asked my brother to do the icons for me multiple times, and he said he would, (he's a graphic artist) but I think he perpetually forgets...

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

I tried googling icons for resource, trade, commerce, etc. Didn't come across much I cared for. I'm toying with making some individual icons and scaling them to size, but the problem is that they wouldn't have the same look or consistency, which I dislike. Looking at (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn&#39;t be bringing it up anyways)'s icons, for example, they all have the same color palette and look while bring different and identifiable. I'll see what else I can come up with but hopefully someone better than me finds or creates that perfect set first.

• Upvote 1

c3Ct0v4.png

• Administrators

I tried googling icons for resource, trade, commerce, etc. Didn't come across much I cared for. I'm toying with making some individual icons and scaling them to size, but the problem is that they wouldn't have the same look or consistency, which I dislike. Looking at (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn&#39;t be bringing it up anyways)'s icons, for example, they all have the same color palette and look while bring different and identifiable. I'll see what else I can come up with but hopefully someone better than me finds or creates that perfect set first.

Ideally I'd like to have someone make them from scratch. I'm not much of a spriter myself, but I suppose I could even try a go at it.

Forums Rules | Game Link

Ideally I'd like to have someone make them from scratch. I'm not much of a spriter myself, but I suppose I could even try a go at it.

I agree with this 100%. I would personally refuse to vote for anything that isn't user generated, as opposed to free-use images (do keep in mind that if we do use already existing images, they'll need to be open to public-usage so Sheepy doesn't get in trouble :v ). Edited by Kurdanak
  • Upvote 1
xzhPlEh.png?1

• Administrators

Is it still open? If yes then i will build some icons and sumbit them here

Yes, please do. No one else has made a submission yet.

Forums Rules | Game Link

really only iron needs to be changed so it does not look so much like lead this may look a little weird but it seems no one else wants to do it

e179178a-2fc2-492d-8b92-d71d2edd083b_zps

• Upvote 1

(^。^)y-.。o○ (-。-)y-゜゜゜ this is how i make my cloud

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag291/petgangster/efb30519-f381-4330-a62b-11db0d2a058b_zpscilyk2rj.png

• Administrators

really only iron needs to be changed so it does not look so much like lead this may look a little weird but it seems no one else wants to do it

e179178a-2fc2-492d-8b92-d71d2edd083b_zps

That's not a bad icon, but I'd honestly like to see a whole set that is similar looking.

I'm working on them

Awesome! Thank you!

Forums Rules | Game Link

Truthfully, not enough difference in terms of easy to see or understand what's what.  I feel like that set is "different", but not better.  Maybe I just can't see that well.  I think we need slightly larger icons and they need to be very easy to distinguish...particularly with icons for coal, bauxite, etc.

• Upvote 4

c3Ct0v4.png

Truthfully, not enough difference in terms of easy to see or understand what's what.  I feel like that set is "different", but not better.  Maybe I just can't see that well.  I think we need slightly larger icons and they need to be very easy to distinguish...particularly with icons for coal, bauxite, etc.

I like the icons Grilled Cheese put up, but I also agree with Reagan that we could probably do with the icons being a tad bit bigger.

duskhornexceptional.png.d9e24adf7f0945530780eee694428f27.png

He's right, I'm such a stinker. Play my exceptional game!

• Administrators

How much larger are you guys thinking? The icon size we have now is perfect for the display in the resource bar (matches text-size). I suppose we could come up with a bigger set (32x32)? and then have a scaled down version (16x16) just for the resource bar?

Forums Rules | Game Link

Personally I actually like the existing icons, and don't feel any real need to change or "improve" them.

• Upvote 1

greene.png

Formerly known as Grealind of Resvernas (28 October 2014-29 August 2017) and Greene of Japan (29 August 2017-28 Septmber 2017)

7th Caretaker of Duat, the Deity Thoth

Personally I actually like the existing icons, and don't feel any real need to change or "improve" them.

Yes, but its really hard to tell the difference between some of them like lead and Iron. And could confuse new players very easily

Peace will never be accomplished without war, but war cannot happen without peace.... or something like that idk

Yes, but its really hard to tell the difference between some of them like lead and Iron. And could confuse new players very easily

As a new player, Lead/Iron are indistinguishable to me on the resource bar  :P

I will take responsibility for what I have done, if I must fall, I will rise each time a better man.