Discord vs. IRC

Foltest

discord is way better than IRC 
But slack is better than the both  ;)  :P

• Upvote 1

aA9XUQZ.png                                                              

Jealous hippo is jealous.

Jealous of you perving on imaginary people?

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

I view Slack as the "professional" mom and dad service, while Discord is for the kids....fortunately, more kids use discord. :D !@#$ parents. (jk daddy Infinite C)

Since ESD's switch to discord we've been able to stay up with our friends/allies a lot better and the community is fun/exciting. I won't lie, its basically the same as IRC...without the bullshit. 

The voice capabilities tied into the text chatting is awesome too.

Well slack can be very good if you are from some neutral alliance (i.e. you will hardly need any alliance)
Slack is more user-friendly inside an alliance of course but discord is nice if you say want to do a group chat with several members of different alliances.
But I must say I have used IRC for 2 days and not really liked it  :P

• Upvote 1

aA9XUQZ.png                                                              

I find discord easier for people to just hop into the voice chats, as you mention, because the dedicated voice rooms make it easier. I also like how it displays the games  you are currently playing. This probably matters less for alliances that are more strictly PW, but since we play a lot of other games together (and have a few people who don't play PW but are with us in those) I find it convenient to hop on and see who is doing what.

• Upvote 1

Archduke Tyrell, Lord of Highgarden, Lord Paramount of the Reach, Warden of the South, Breaker of Forums.

Well slack can be very good if you are from some neutral alliance (i.e. you will hardly need any alliance)

Slack is more user-friendly inside an alliance of course but discord is nice if you say want to do a group chat with several members of different alliances.

But I must say I have used IRC for 2 days and not really liked it  :P

Not being an ass - but how is slack more user friendly inside an alliance vs discord?

On discord you can set private channels and permissions for each user/group inside those channels - just wanna know how that compares to slack and what we are missing?

thnx bae

On slack also you can make your own channel under your alliance which is invitation only  :P (although slack is more user friendly it is completely my own thought it can vary from people to people)

aA9XUQZ.png                                                              

On slack also you can make your own channel under your alliance which is invitation only  :P (although slack is more user friendly it is completely my own thought it can vary from people to people)

but HOWWWWW is it more user friendly.

but HOWWWWW is it more user friendly.

Because I feel so  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

• Upvote 1

aA9XUQZ.png                                                              

Using slack certainly improved our alliance activity and it's great for mobile users. A main problem with IRC is (as I see it), it doesn't store history, other than that it's not that hard to learn basic commands.

The main concern with IRC vs. Discord is new players.

Anyone who's been in games like these knows that they're outdated. The text-based interface spreadsheet-based game genre is ancient by modern standards. The only way to retain or attract new people is through our communities and through the open-ended politics.

IRC set up requires download and installation (usually unless you're mibbit scum), requires you to figure out how to get onto the coldfront server, figure out how to register your nick, find the channels you're meant to be in, and also relies on leaders to know how to add/remove/moderate before you can usually get into private channels. Additionally - IRC mobile is a nightmare. Even the best mobile IRC apps are a mess.

Discord takes a click and you enter a username/pw and you're off. All with a nice graphical UI that doesn't look like it's from Windows ME.

• Upvote 2

Yeah I find the mobile interface much easier to navigate on discord than any mobile irc client I've used. I'd be willing to bet that a lot of our increased usage of discord compared to our old irc numbers in SK is a result of that. Its certainly the case for me.

• Upvote 1

Archduke Tyrell, Lord of Highgarden, Lord Paramount of the Reach, Warden of the South, Breaker of Forums.

Re: Slack

At a glance, everything it can do Discord does just as well, if not better.

I would definitely argue the same for IRC.

Versus IRC:

Creating/Keeping/Curating alliance channels? Way easier on Discord, especially since you can keep them all on alliance-specific servers.

Managing member/diplomat/specialized access to specific channels? Way easier to manage on Discord if you know how to initially set everything up properly.

Mobile friendly? Discord hands down.

Engaging membership? Ease of creating an account and getting started and the push notifications for target users/groups makes this way better than IRC. Being able to push a notification to everyone in a specific group's phone in a pinch, especially.

The only place I would give it to IRC is how easy it is to join other alliance's public channels, but even then all of Discord's other features easily outweigh that minor inconvenience.

Then all you have to do is bridge your old, stubborn IRC devoted into Discord with a bot and presto: your alliance is with the times.

Edited by Wilhelm the Demented
  • Upvote 1

One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

I think the main take away is that it's a Slack Vs Discord discussion, not a Discord Vs IRC. IRC will probably maintain relevance as a back channel high level FA platform for a while, but it's far too hostile to noobs to center an alliances activity on (with some leeway for old alliances that are already on it).

Ragnarok uses Discord now...but, for those who still like IRC, have that option. Discord is easier to use, though. We prefer our members to use Discord, but they are free to use any option they wish. We just encourage them to get on discord or irc and be active in a mannerism that fits them best.

Edited by Diomedes

My main concern for Discord is actually the voice feature. I mute everything on my computer and don't have a microphone. When people say stuff over voice, I miss out. It's like being colorblind in a world where things are color coded.

Re: Slack

At a glance, everything it can do Discord does just as well, if not better.

Fighting words. 

Mobile friendly? Discord hands down.

Also not true. There are a lot of really good IRC apps, mainly IRCCloud, which handles everything from logging to log on really easily.

My main concern for Discord is actually the voice feature. I mute everything on my computer and don't have a microphone. When people say stuff over voice, I miss out. It's like being colorblind in a world where things are color coded.

I can understand that, since I don't really use the voice chat option much either, but it comes in handy when coordinating so I view it as an optional/bonus feature.

Fighting words.

You wanna take this outside?

Also not true. There are a lot of really good IRC apps, mainly IRCCloud, which handles everything from logging to log on really easily.

I used IRCCloud, and I'll agree it's an excellent client especially if you're playing from a mobile, but I'd say Discord still edges out a small win here.

But I may just be biased a little. :P

Edited by Wilhelm the Demented

One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

I can understand that, since I don't really use the voice chat option much either, but it comes in handy when coordinating so I view it as an optional/bonus feature.

Just this morning people were having some conversation involving me, but I was out of the room, so I missed everything. And there's no text records to search back or whatever. Very annoying.

You wanna take this outside?

I'm actually on for a 1v1, since I missed out a whole damn war these two months I was on vacation.

Discord is horrible and whomever first introduced it to this game should feel bad.

Bring back the golden days.

Lets make instant communications great again. 

Says something when arguments for Discord are "People are too stupid to use IRC". Frankly I don't care if people like that leave the game, quality > quantity