Should Pope Francis be considered somewhat Liberal?

Franz Von Dietrich

Yes I would say the Pope is more Liberal than previous Popes. Good on him for it too.

• Upvote 4

rsz_1g7q_ak91409798280.jpg

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a roll.

There is one you will follow. One who is the shining star, and he will lead you to beautiful places in the search of his own vanity. And when there is no more vanity to be found, he will leave you in darkness, as a fading memory of his own creation.

He is more progressive than previous Popes- although probably less so than it seems on the surface.

As a proud Protestant heretic, I don't care much for him. I do respect him, though, as he is the leader of more than a billion of my brothers and sisters in Christ. That's being said, I do wonder if his more progressive attitude won't create some rift in The Church that causes some Catholics to distant themselves from the Vatican some.

Any Catholics here who want to voice their opinion?

• Upvote 2

new_forum_sig_2.png

As an Episcopalian, it is good to see a leader of another church slowly make way for some of the things which the Episcopal church is working for. I like how Pope Francis is moving towards positive change. He is definitely more liberal and it is good to see.

It depends by what you mean by liberal I suppose. I get the feeling that he is shaking up the status quo of the vatican bureaucracy and is trying to make the Catholic church more accessible to the majority - making the church a Church rather than a rather corrupt club. I don't see him backing down on dogma and doctrine and I think that is good, but not particularly liberal. It might be that he is a classic Jesuit in that respect!

Pope Benedict XVI though was a good man, but was not a public figure. Very introverted.

I didn't like Pope Benedict until he came to Great Britain for the beatification of Cardinal Newman. I saw in him a holiness and humility that was unexpected, especially at the service in Westminster Abbey. It was lovely to see the relationship between Benedict and Archsgob Rowan, formally bishop of my neighbouring parish(!). I got the feeling that he was very bookish and learned, and as you say introverted, but there was a holiness there that was powerful, a real man of God. I say this as a charismatic, evangelical, orthodox-friendly, middle-of-the-road Anglican! I don't like the papacy as an institution but both Benedict and Francis I can admire.

Edited by Rob Ap Ioan

Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest

I didn't like Pope Benedict until he came to Great Britain for the beatification of Cardinal Newman. I saw in him a holiness and humility that was unexpected, especially at the service in Westminster Abbey. It was lovely to see the relationship between Benedict and Archsgob Rowan, formally bishop of my neighbouring parish(!). I got the feeling that he was very bookish and learned, and as you say introverted, but there was a holiness there that was powerful, a real man of God. I say this as a charismatic, evangelical, orthodox-friendly, middle-of-the-road Anglican! I don't like the papacy as an institution but both Benedict and Francis I can admire.

Cardinal Ratzinger is extreme intellectual. He is an exceptional author, writing tons for the Roman See and having an extensive amount of letters, Apostolic Constitutions and Homilies. With myself having an Orthodox Christian background it seemed to be that Pope Benedict XVI was a possible bridge of interfaith possibilities, however differing in interpretation of the Holy Spirit's role in the Godhead between the Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic Doctrines.

https://w2.vatican.va/content/benedict-xvi/en.html

Edited by VasiliusKonstantinos
  • Upvote 1

Alas I haven't read anything by Cardinal Ratzinger, I assume the issue you had was to do with the filioque clause which I don't utter. I have read some of Rowan Williams books and they are interesting, especially his work on the Jesus Prayer. With both Rowan and Benedict it was obvious that they both had monastic tendencies, even if Rowan never went the whole hog! I find Kallistos Ware very easy to read.

Edited by Rob Ap Ioan

And disregards the rest

The filioque to a degree, but moreso with the application of the Holy Spirit's function within the Godhead differes between the Roman Catholic Church and Eastern Orthodoxy. Surprisingly, Wikipedia has a pretty good discussion regarding the Orthodox view on two terms - Essence and Energy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essence%E2%80%93Energies_distinction

I'm not Catholic, but a Catholic friend of mine has been texting me walls of rage recently. 

Like what?

<&Partisan> EAT THE SHIT

<blacklabel> lol @ ever caring about how much you matter in some dumbass nation simulation browser game. what a !@#$in pathetic waste of life

iZHAsgV.png

The filioque to a degree, but moreso with the application of the Holy Spirit's function within the Godhead differes between the Roman Catholic Church and Eastern Orthodoxy. Surprisingly, Wikipedia has a pretty good discussion regarding the Orthodox view on two terms - Essence and Energy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essence%E2%80%93Energies_distinction

Am I right in understanding this article in the following way?:

The essence of God is the fullness of God, beyond human understanding.  The energies are parts of God's essence that Humans can understand and experience. The energies are no less God, just part of the reality of who God is.

My understanding has always been that the Trinity is an impossibility that just happens to be true. If my reading of the essence-energies thing is correct that now makes sense and also explain why Orthodox translations use the words "of one essence with the father" instead of "of one being with the father".

That article is scholarly!

Edited by Rob Ap Ioan
  • Upvote 1

And disregards the rest

Eventough he is more liberal then other popes he still is a figurehead of an organization that makes live tough for millions. I think this man should use his influence to legalize gay marriage to ease the suffering of gays world wide, put focus on and allow birthcontrol  and monogamy in third world countries to protect woman who are opressed are who are being used to generate as many males as possible. He also should put more focus on the distrubution of wealth within his own organization, sell churches and use they money to create a more effective aid programn for the remaining churches. There also should be made a way more serieous attempt to ease the suffering of the rape victims and a way harsher persecution of the clergy men and woman who have been or are the offenders. And this is all is just for starters..

Edited by Vivke
  • Upvote 1

Eventough he is more liberal then other popes he still is a figurehead of an organization that makes live tough for millions. I think this man should use his influence to legalize gay marriage, put focus on birthcontrol and monogamy to ease the suffering of gays world wide and woman who are opressed. He also should put more focus on the distrubution of wealth within his own organization, sell churches and use they money to create a more effective aid programn for the remaining churches. There also should be made a way more serieous attempt to ease the suffering of the rape victims and a way harsher persecution of the clergy men and woman who have been or are the offenders. And this is all is just for starters..

As a progressive Catholic, I have to agree. The Pope has done a lot to make the Church less archaic. But there is still more work to be done. 

<&Partisan> EAT THE SHIT

<blacklabel> lol @ ever caring about how much you matter in some dumbass nation simulation browser game. what a !@#$in pathetic waste of life

iZHAsgV.png

giphy.gif

An Atheist Pirate! Tryin 2 Hijack Their Religion !!!

What makes you think that?

I'm a devout Catholic who prays the rosary every morning, who has recently started reading the bible, and goes to church every Sunday (if my parents' schedule permit it).

Like I said before, I'm not too fond of atheists (but I don't hate them, hate is too strong a word for me), especially those on the internet.

Edited by idp5601
  • Upvote 1

<&Partisan> EAT THE SHIT

iZHAsgV.png

What makes you think that?

I'm a devout Catholic who prays the rosary every morning, who has recently started reading the bible, and goes to church every Sunday (if my parents' schedule permit it).

Like I said before, I'm not too fond of atheists (but I don't hate them, hate is too strong a word for me), especially those on the internet.

There is simply no way any Catholic would agree with this post (let alone a "devout" Catholic):

Eventough he is more liberal then other popes he still is a figurehead of an organization that makes live tough for millions. I think this man should use his influence to legalize gay marriage to ease the suffering of gays world wide, put focus on and allow birthcontrol  and monogamy in third world countries to protect woman who are opressed are who are being used to generate as many males as possible. He also should put more focus on the distrubution of wealth within his own organization, sell churches and use they money to create a more effective aid programn for the remaining churches. ...

Highlighted the major contentious points for Catholics in bold black letters, and the derisive + uncandid language that I think a devout Catholic would take issue with in bold orange letters.

As a progressive Catholic, I have to agree. The Pope has done a lot to make the Church less archaic. But there is still more work to be done. 

It would seem, however, that you had no problem with the above post, on the contrary, you wholeheartedly agreed with it (some would say like a true atheist).

Edited by Ibrahim
ztt5Wgs.png

There is simply no way any Catholic would agree with this post (let alone a "devout" Catholic):

Highlighted the major contentious points for Catholics in bold black letters, and the derisive + uncandid language that I think a devout Catholic would take issue with in bold orange letters.

It would seem, however, that you had no problem with the above post, on the contrary, you wholeheartedly agreed with it (some would say like a true atheist).

You obviously have no understanding of Christianity then.

• Upvote 2

And disregards the rest

Why would I want to talk about Catholicism if I'm an atheist? I'm sure you've seen atheists on the internet and their self-righteousness. 

Again, just because I'm a Catholic doesn't mean I wholeheartedly agree with their doctrine. 

I would never trade my faith for anything, even a more liberal church. 

And even if I don't agree with their doctrine, I still think you have 0 idea of christianity.

Edited by idp5601

<&Partisan> EAT THE SHIT

iZHAsgV.png