My experience with the Sphere meta

Alastor

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Velyni Vas said:

TLDR please. Thanks.

Does the current sphere meta help to solve or worsen political stagnation

Edited by Alastor
  • Upvote 1

Hey just wanted to come out of the woodworks to comment.

A growing issue with alliances I feel is a general lack of willingness to put themselves into any line of sight and risk being a lesser power.

From my perspective a constant exists has existed long before Dail UP (GW14)[NPOLT]

Alliances by default have an extremely unforgiving nature they tend to hold groups accountable for situations that often occurred years beforehand and otherwise reinforce such things to newer alliances limiting the potential for older lesser alliances to become majors and tainting the public opinion of them long before they can ever get a chance to improve or grow to a more relevant stature.

The game by default is a endless juggle of old reputations with very little room for new faces and that is what likely leads to the dry political nature of the game.

People are broadly unwilling to allow new majors and are broadly unwilling to attempt pursuing to be one due to this old mindset that favors repetitive and consistent leadership.

It's early for me so apologies for any improper spelling 

I was about to quip "Looks like Roberts finally has some competition," then I clicked the profile. Should've known, got me again. :v

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
xzhPlEh.png?1

1 hour ago, Nokia Rokia said:

A growing issue with alliances I feel is a general lack of willingness to put themselves into any line of sight and risk being a lesser power.

Ah yes I actually forgot to include this in the essay. It feels like there's even more pressure now for perfect-play or risk ridicule/ostracization. Perfect play meaning both mechanically and politically: Fall in line, do what's expected, or get replaced because a sphere only needs like 4-5 alliances.

Posted (edited)

I would hope the meta of sphere-centric politics natural degredation comes to a bit of a crux in the road. You have some traditional relationships that transcend the existance of sphere-treaty obligations. I can think of a few that have existed that have yet to be truly challenged in a way that is meaningful, as ordinarily chaining is not a factor or spheres have a superiority clause. But as time goes and relationships are built, you do develop lasting partnerships. They are reflected on paper in one fashion or another. The crux of the issue is how people want to play the game. 

Spheres, and spheres specifically with very limited or exclusive treaties which align with that particular sphere offer safety. Safety, in this case obviously, is both in intelligence and tiering if someone's bothered to put the appropriate level of planning into the sphere. This mitigates risk or at least attempts to. Whether we like it or not, when groups of players assemble the environment is a veritable sieve save for some rather exceptional circumstances. 

Treaty partners within these spaces who have external connections run the risk of being treated as a lesser partner or junior partner for simple sake of being some kind of risk. Now, whether that's right or wrong is neither here nor there but I do feel that particularly informs the current political meta. This forces a status quo of these entities getting blinders put on them and then the power dynamic is an uneven one. For smaller alliances, or alliances that are less politically known/powerful, this can be a rather unfortunate limiter as it demands them to put their own personal politics aside and play by their bloc's rules/politics. 

In my humble opinion, this robs the average alliance of exercising its sovereignty. To boot, the entire meta robs alliances of their general sense of sovereignty, so much so these powerbrokers in the Spheres are at a place of actively disregarding the sovereignty of their treaty partners. We see a rather recent and brilliant example of this with people being signed on to an NAP extension en mass without their permission. As time goes, this is just going to get more and more common of an occurrence, as these alliances that did this are actively getting away with it. There is set precedence for violating bloc-treaty and sphere member's sovereignty with impunity. 

Just expect it to happen more as time goes. I, personally, just hope those of whom do have their sovereignty disregarded make moves to hold their treaty partners accountable, otherwise we've moved into a rather dangerous age of the sphere meta.

*Edit for spelling

Edited by Victor Truchev

Contact me if you have questions, concerns, or just want to chat. I have an open door policy.

Any alliance can put themselves out there to pursue their own interest, mini-sphere or not. I think the main issue is a lack of new voices/a drop in the quality of politics via the decrease of quality political leaders in the game.

Which comes back to the points you are making...is it due to the 'musical chairs' minispheres algorithm we find ourselves in? Maybe. But it seems to me that it's mostly the same beast with a different shirt on as 'sphere bipolarity'. The major AA's are going to gun for one another regardless. It's always 'alliance-first' mentality. Their treaty partners are going to be an accessory to that either way, whether it's in formal 'spheres' or individual ties. With mini-spheres, at least it added another way/a different flavor of accomplishing the powerhouse AA's goals. Ultimately it's up to the partner AA's to decide whether they are going to be pushed around or not.

2 hours ago, MinesomeMC said:

Just bring back pre NPOLT politics back 

Be the change you want to see.

• Upvote 2

image.gif.d80770bf646703bba00c14ad52088af9.gif

In conclusion, @Adrienne send treaty and we can be the first domino that sends Orbis back into bipolarity.

For legal reasons, this is a joke. This comment was made with no intention of representing the views of Event Horizon or the leadership thereof.

Federation of Knox

Enlightened of Chaos, Event Horizon

QA Team and API Team

Posted (edited)

New alliance "Probability Space Hypervessel" ? "HYACINTH"?

As far as I know I do not have any outstanding debts to my current alliance ... Unfortunately I am very busy with non-P&W commitments these days... though I guess I could act as such temporarily...

Let's make it happen! 

Edited by Mima
16 hours ago, Koala said:

I would like to thank the PnW servers for standing up for themselves and providing the only valid cb in PnW history!

Posted (edited)

Partisan was not right because his methodology would inevitably go straight to two major sides like it did in the past.

Partisan enjoys the idea of working with individual AAs, but the issue with his movement was that it didn’t predict what those AAs would be doing in their own interests.

All you have to do is look in his history of handling politics.  Eventually it becomes far more of a cluster!@#$ than it is right now.

”Vassalization” isn’t necessarily a bad thing considering the majority of AAs can’t even wipe their own ass.  If an AA really wanted to be a player in the grand scheme of politics, they’d put far more effort into performance, recruitment, and growth.

Seriously, go pull up the charts on every AA’s spending, growth, and war performance.  It’s VERY obvious what AAs actually put in effort.

If you like just having 2 major sides, then yeah, you’d think Partisan was right.

Edited by Buorhann
  • Upvote 1