Texas Secession from the United States

Thalmor

Sources:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/05/texas-republicans-gop-secession-resolution

http://www.inquisitr.com/3088435/republican-party-of-texas-secession-gop-convention-votes-in-favor-of-texas-leaving-the-united-states/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington's_Farewell_Address#Unity_and_sectionalism

_______

I can understand the desire to break off from the Union if the federal government became really tyrannical. I mean, hell, we're already halfway there: Most members of Congress just want to fill their own pockets or have their names in the history books, and the different agencies of the federal government have become terribly inefficient and bloated.

But at the same time, though, I believe in the preservation of the Union. George Washington himself, in his farewell address, made this a point:

Washington warns the American people to be suspicious and look down upon anyone who seeks to abandon the Union, to secede a portion of the country from the rest, or seeks to weaken the bonds that hold the constitutional union together. To promote the strength of the Union, he urges the people to place their identity as Americans above their identities as members of a state, city, or region, and focus their efforts and affection on the country above all other local interests. Washington further asks the people to look beyond any slight differences between them in religion, manners, habits, and political principles, and place their independence and liberty above all else, wanting everyone to be united.

Plus, what was the sacrifice of the hundreds of thousands of lives in the American Civil War for if we just let states leave the Union because they feel like it? Nevermind the fact that an independent Texas would have the same result has the American Civil War did- a federal victory.

So, what does the P&W community think? Should Texas have the right to be independent?

Personally, I think not. I think if Texas does declare independence, that it would only be fair that the United States Armed Forces came crashing down on their heads. Rather or not that means immediate capitulation and the subsequent restoration of Constitutional order, or a few weeks of fighting followed by a decisive victory, would be up to the Texas State Guard.

new_forum_sig_2.png

What makes you think the Texas state government is any less "corrupt" than the Fed govt?

I never said it wasn't...?

Generally, though, I do believe state governments aren't as corrupt as the federal government is. Furthermore, the ordinances of the state government is more likely to directly affect someone than something from the federal government- which is something that played hugely into the American Civil War.

And, given how much support the Texan Nationalist Movement as, it seems that a lot of Texans trust their government,

new_forum_sig_2.png

as if 't be true their current gov'rn'r and his predecess'r has't not done enow damageth to texans' reputation f'r constitutional acuity, nearly 1 in 3 texas vot'rs bethink yond their state hast the legal right to secede from the union, acc'rding to a new rasmussen poll. 

umm, nay. 

on the bright side (such as t is), only 1 in 5 texas vot'rs wouldst actually liketh to breaketh off from the union. fully three quart'rs of texas vot'rs art content to remaineth parteth of these unit'd states. gee, grant you mercy. 

this discussion wast spark'd by texas gov. rick p'rry's rampallian'rtion yond texas hast the unique right to secede from the u. s. of a. (side questioneth: wherefore the quiescence of the hyp'r-patriotic right? wherefore art those gents not demanding yond p'rry loveth this ground 'r leaveth it—and reminding that gent that gent can't taketh his state with that gent?)

t is of course an fusty urban legend yond since texas ent'r'd the union as a sov'reign republic, t hast res'rv'd the right to reclaim its fusty status. h'rse-hockey. 

two points to consid'r. first, th're's this briefeth hist'ry of the lone star state's 1845 entry into the union, emphasis did add:

at which hour all attempts to arriveth at a f'rmal annexation treaty did fail, the unit'd states congress passed—aft'r much debate and only a simple maj'rity—a joint resolution f'r annexing texas to the unit'd states. und'r these t'rms, texas wouldst keepeth both its public lands and its public debt, t wouldst has't the pow'r to divideth into four additional states "of convenient size" in the future if 't be true t so did desire, and t wouldst deliv'r all military, postal, and customs facilities and auth'rity to the unit'd states gov'rnment. (neith'r this joint resolution 'r the 'rdinance hath passed by the republic of texas ' annexation convention gaveth texas the right to secede. )

yond paragraph cometh from what i can only assume to beest an auth'ritative source on the matt'r: the texas state library and archives commission. (tip of mine own cowboy coxcomb to an fusty college pal—from texas—who post'd the link on facebook. )

second pointeth: we combated a war ov'r this. lots of am'ricans kicked the bucket. the secessionists lost—including the ones in texas. secession is nay m're legal anon than t wast then. 

and while talking about secession undoubtedly plays well 'mongst the 3 in 10 texas vot'rs ill-inf'rm'd enow to bethink t's a s'rious political statement, t eke maketh the rest of the state (and likely the rest of the state) rolleth our eyes in bewild'rment at the lone star clown. 

I never said it wasn't...?

Generally, though, I do believe state governments aren't as corrupt as the federal government is. Furthermore, the ordinances of the state government is more likely to directly affect someone than something from the federal government- which is something that played hugely into the American Civil War.

And, given how much support the Texan Nationalist Movement as, it seems that a lot of Texans trust their government,

And given how conservative their state is, it's pretty clear that they're all uninformed idiots pretending to be patriotic while backing the confederate traitors. 

º¤ø„¤¤º°¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸

¨°º¤ø„¸ GOD EMPEROR BIO DRANDO¨°º¤ø„¸

¨°º¤ø„¸ BIO DRANDO GOD EMPEROR¨°º¤ø„¸

¨°º¤ø„¤¤º°¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸

We should pass a law that allows the rest of us to kick Texas the !@#$ out. 

Why? Texas gives more to the federal government in taxes than it receives in aid. It also has a lot of natural resources.

• Upvote 1

new_forum_sig_2.png

Why? Texas gives more to the federal government in taxes than it receives in aid. It also has a lot of natural resources.

You sure? Several sources show them as a net recipient. In any case, their big booming economy is a function of their ability to have completely free access to the rest of American markets without imposing any of the typical and necessary tax and regulatory constraints that other states use to support a humane social system. Kick them the !@#$ out and they will be broke as a joke in a year, good riddance. 

their big booming economy is a function of their ability to have completely free access to the rest of American markets without imposing any of the typical and necessary tax and regulatory constraints that other states use to support a humane social system.

What are you talking about? Can you provide a source so I can read more about this?

Not that I doubt you or anything, but that certainly does sound interesting.

new_forum_sig_2.png

You sure? Several sources show them as a net recipient. In any case, their big booming economy is a function of their ability to have completely free access to the rest of American markets without imposing any of the typical and necessary tax and regulatory constraints that other states use to support a humane social system. Kick them the !@#$ out and they will be broke as a joke in a year, good riddance. 

kick anyone out, when you're a part of one the biggest economies you don't want to be out, but i do think that fact is true

Edited by Hequ

The Washington quote doesn't mean much. While good, it's a concept ignored/hated by the "left wing" in America? If Texas feels to protect itself and it's people that it should leave the union then that is up to them. If they're serious about it then America will not be able to put them down and will have to accept it. If they're not serious then it'll blow over quickly. 

And given how conservative their state is, it's pretty clear that they're all uninformed idiots pretending to be patriotic while backing the confederate traitors. 

Charming.

• Upvote 2

Texas has a higher GDP per capita than every other country in the world except China, Denmark, Australia, Switzerland, Qatar, Norway, and Luxembourg. 

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PCAP.CD?order=wbapi_data_value_2014+wbapi_data_value+wbapi_data_value-last&sort=desc

http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regional/gdp_state/2012/pdf/gsp0612.pdf

Texas has its own power grid separate from the two US grids. 

https://www.texastribune.org/2011/02/08/texplainer-why-does-texas-have-its-own-power-grid/

Of the top ten ports in the US, the second, fourth, and eight larget are located in Texas. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ports_in_the_United_States

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

Texas has a higher GDP per capita than every other country in the world except China, Denmark, Australia, Switzerland, Qatar, Norway, and Luxembourg. 

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PCAP.CD?order=wbapi_data_value_2014+wbapi_data_value+wbapi_data_value-last&sort=desc

http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regional/gdp_state/2012/pdf/gsp0612.pdf

Texas has its own power grid separate from the two US grids. 

https://www.texastribune.org/2011/02/08/texplainer-why-does-texas-have-its-own-power-grid/

Of the top ten ports in the US, the second, fourth, and eight larget are located in Texas. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ports_in_the_United_States

You are pulling data from different places at different times, which doesn't make much sense. Texas has a GDP per capita that is a few thousand higher than the U.S. as a whole, so basically all you are saying is Texas has a lot of people. Good job. If it were an independent country, it would be a poor, racist, nationalist police state - and in short order it would have many fewer people. 

You are pulling data from different places at different times, which doesn't make much sense. Texas has a GDP per capita that is a few thousand higher than the U.S. as a whole, so basically all you are saying is Texas has a lot of people. Good job. If it were an independent country, it would be a poor, racist, nationalist police state - and in short order it would have many fewer people. 

GDP per capita =/= amount of people.

Maryland has a sky high GDP per capita, while a state like California is lower. 

I like how you throw around nationalist as a buzzword though, like it's a bad thing. 

Edited by Vosunda
  • Upvote 2

GDP per capita =/= amount of people.

Maryland has a sky high GDP per capita, while a state like California is lower. 

I like how you throw around nationalist as a buzzword though, like it's a bad thing. 

Well when someone throws in a "racist" in there with it you can guess what they equate Nationalism with, just as the Globalists like it. 

• Upvote 2

Sigh, I am going to say this, and only say it once. If Texas Secedes, then the rest of the South will, and it will bring the destruction of the United States. Not meant to offend anyone, but that is what I think will happen(not hope).

Sigh, I am going to say this, and only say it once. If Texas Secedes, then the rest of the South will, and it will bring the destruction of the United States. Not meant to offend anyone, but that is what I think will happen(not hope).

That's what I thought may happen to. All the more reason why if Texas does secede, the United States should use their full military to restore order.

new_forum_sig_2.png

US as a country is really not that flimsy, it's the most powerful industrial country in the world, there's zero chance any state in the US will secede ever again, it was done once and the result is self-explanatory.

• Upvote 1

Texas aint going nowhere, they could stand alone for a while but the combined pressure of cartel activity and the fact they don't have much in terms of long-term renewable resources to sustain themselves without mass importation of goods and supplies would mean it would be a temporary secession.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/13/politics/texas-secession-debate-gop-convention/

There's also the cancerous liberal shitholes known as Austin and Dallas/Fort Worth, I'd imagine an unchained Texas would send most of those morons packing though.

• Upvote 2

Ask not for lesser burdens, only for broader shoulders.