Limit posts while on Vacation Mode

Kastor

Limit posts for people who use Vacation mode to 5 posts per day. This is enough so if they need to report snything to the mods they can continute to do so, and keep their debate threads up to date without them spamming the forums while us not being able to attack them. It is getting annoying having to see ignorant comments while not being able to do anything about it.

• Upvote 4

IMG_2989.png?ex=65e9efa9&is=65d77aa9&hm=

I do get his point.

If you're on "vacation" yet have enough time to be posting frequently on the forums, then you're misusing "vacation" mode.

You've said it yourself, Sheepy. You said that vacation mode is mostly for people who are going to be gone for extended periods of time. (Military deployments, serious hospitalizations, ect)

I don't know about the limit, but it's seriously aggravating when someone just happens to go on "vacation" just before a war kicks off, and then is extremely active both in-game and on the forums.

100% with 5 posts they can still contribute to discussion, but it stops them for just sitting here on vacation mode talking tons of shit and not letting is do anything about it.

IMG_2989.png?ex=65e9efa9&is=65d77aa9&hm=

• Administrators

I do get his point.

If you're on "vacation" yet have enough time to be posting frequently on the forums, then you're misusing "vacation" mode.

You've said it yourself, Sheepy. You said that vacation mode is mostly for people who are going to be gone for extended periods of time. (Military deployments, serious hospitalizations, ect)

I don't know about the limit, but it's seriously aggravating when someone just happens to go on "vacation" just before a war kicks off, and then is extremely active both in-game and on the forums.

100% with 5 posts they can still contribute to discussion, but it stops them for just sitting here on vacation mode talking tons of shit and not letting is do anything about it.

You're still being irrational. If you don't like what someone is saying on the forum, you can block them, and not read their posts. I'm not going to tally up the posts every day of everyone who is on vacation mode.

• Upvote 3

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

If anything, I'd suggest treating them like those without a nation. Meaning, they can use the social forums and such, just not the in-game forums like Alliance Affairs and Orbis Central.

This is a reasonable Compromise.

PoJQyFJ.gif

lmao

yeah let's make a reasonable compromise between liberal democracy and concentration camps by just sending all our jews to africa

how about it's just a dumb, unenforceable idea

p.s. - 90% of the time you can't "do anything about it" because of the score range or alliance politics, so.

Edited by Hereno
  • Upvote 1

You're still being irrational. If you don't like what someone is saying on the forum, you can block them, and not read their posts. I'm not going to tally up the posts every day of everyone who is on vacation mode.

Says the guy who banned trump ads.

• Upvote 1

scSqPGJ.gif

I imagine it would be difficult to manually police the forums to enforce this rule, were it to be implemented; could it be automated, for example by changing a forum user's group when his nation goes on vacation mode?

I don't think it is a big issue, however. It can be annoying, but then the people who would keep doing this for weeks wouldn't be worth paying much attention to anyway (within the game-related forums at least).

Edited by Lyrositor

p15IoNT.gif

• Administrators

Fine, then focus on what I'm saying.

Let's have an example: Bill and Dave are in rival alliances. Super Ultimate Cool Cats and Dynamic Insidious Canine Club. DICC and SUCC are going to have a war. Dave gets Bill as a target. Now, Bill is the largest player in SUCC and is warned about the war. Bill immediately puts his nation in Vacation Mode. Meanwhile, DICC completely annihilates SUCC, and reduces some of the top players to 30% of what they once were. Bill, his nation in a magical time bubble, is completely unharmed.

Now, as the war is going on, Dave is complaining about how his target is in Vacation Mode but is active every single day on both the forums and in-game. Bill is able to taunt DICC on the forums and assist his government in managing the war. Dave is taunted by Bill, and after Bill comes out of Vacation Mode he is safe from Dave. 

SUCC saves their most powerful player, allowing them to rebuild faster, and possibly protect treasures. DICC loses any chance of destroying the target without starting another war, which is foolish as peace has just been declared and there's no telling if Bill will just go into Vacation Mode again.

So really, Dave gets shafted. He doesn't get to fight, and doesn't get a possible treasure.

NOW do you understand? Or are you going to quote Kastor again and ignore me completely?

I understand now, and I understood before. It's not that I don't realize it might be irritating, it's that it's still petty, regardless, to try to change the rules and prevent people from using these forums because it's an inconvenience to you. If you don't like that someone is in Vacation Mode, just attack them as soon as they're out of Vacation Mode. If you don't like that someone is talking on the forums while in Vacation Mode, get over yourself. And if you can't do that, block them and hide their posts.

This whole idea is completely unenforceable, it stifles discussion, and is outright petty.

Says the guy who banned trump ads.

That's completely irrelevant - we already had existing rules against real advertisements in player ads from the point they were added to the game. When I felt that Trump ads went from a meme/joke to "real ads" they were removed (along with ads for any other presidential candidate.)

• Upvote 4

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

• Administrators

So avoiding war and saving your nation is perfectly acceptable?

Vacation Mode is not a tool to use to avoid wars, and it is not a "peace mode" According to rules but not enforced

It is not against the rules to use Vacation Mode, for any reason. If you're going to be gone for 2 days and don't want to risk your nation being attacked while you're gone, you're welcome to put your nation into Vacation Mode, and when you come back and it's still in Vacation Mode for another 12 days, should you be suspended from the forums and forced out of the game? No, absolutely not.

Vacation Mode is not intended to be used as a "peace mode." There are no rules against someone (allegedly, there would be no way to prove it) using it that way if they wanted to.

• Upvote 1

Forums Rules | Game Link

this thread isn't even about that

you guys don't think sheepy is intelligent enough to realize there are drawbacks to adding in a vacation mode? it's a necessary evil, get over it.

• Upvote 1

What are your thoughts specifically to my suggestion, Sheepy?

why would he be in favor of that when he thinks the whole thing is petty and stupid?

i understand that you think you're a special snowflake who needs his own special reply, but it's pretty easy to extrapolate what he thinks by actually reading his posts

why would he be in favor of that when he thinks the whole thing is petty and stupid?

i understand that you think you're a special snowflake who needs his own special reply, but it's pretty easy to extrapolate what he thinks by actually reading his posts

Just trying to separate a new, level-headed conversation from the passive-aggressive stuff. On that note, I appreciate the help. ^_^ Edited by Kurdanak
  • Upvote 3
xzhPlEh.png?1

How can you not like Kurdy?

Hereno hates K's

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

• Administrators

Remove vacation mode completely.  Infra is cheap to rebuild.  That's the logic you used against Arrgh, right?

Absolutely not. I've had a number of heartfelt messages, specifically from players that have been deployed overseas who were worried about coming back and their nations having disappeared. Vacation Mode is heavily penalized as is, and anyone who thinks that someone is using Vacation Mode to avoid a war should just wait until they're out of Vacation Mode and then attack them. That's a simple enough solution, isn't it?

If anything, I'd suggest treating them like those without a nation. Meaning, they can use the social forums and such, just not the in-game forums like Alliance Affairs and Orbis Central.

I think that the costs far outweigh the benefits. Having to change player forum permissions every time they go in and out of Vacation Mode is tedious, time consuming, and on the whole isn't important enough imo to warrant giving me more management to do. I have no problem with a player in Vacation Mode discussing alliance politics, etc. and I think anyone who does needs to get over it and realize why we have Vacation Mode, and that their needs do not outweigh the needs of those who actually use Vacation Mode for its intended purpose.

• Upvote 2

Forums Rules | Game Link