Under President Barack Obama

Doktor Avalanche

2008 Positive/Negative Difference?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Has there been any improvement overall since the election of Barack Obama in 2008?

• Yes- More positive changes have occurred overall and we are grateful
    • No- More negatives have happened and our nation has suffered
    • Neutral- Not much change since George W. Bush
    • Screw the Government! Nothing changes ever!

I decided to post this in Discussion, as I hope this does not create a flamewar. I understand it is a divided nation here in the United States and the Repugnants and the Democides have control issues with each other. However I made this poll to get a better feeling for the last eight years- have they improved overall? Have we gone spiraling downward towards Rome's Fate? Are we stagnant? Positives? Negatives?

Please post a reason for your choice if you wish. Discuss.

Edit- I realized I made this a poll only topic. Oops. Now post. :)

Edited by Lord Asmodeus

It's good for my pocket

In Houston, one of the major oil companies (Shell, I think) was building a few office buildings. They had to cancel some of the buildings and hired around only 1/2 of the staff they intended to hire at the beginning. 

check-your-privilege.jpg?resize=1920%2C1

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

Unemployment is way down, gas is cheap as shit.  There are two positives for you.

Cheap gas is harmful for the US and though unemployment is down, labor participation is at an all time low. 

Well, did better than Bush's presidency that's for damn sure.

How so?

• Upvote 1

Tiocfaidh ár lá

=Censored by Politics and War Moderation team=

s6McZGm.jpg?1

I feel like it isn't fair to judge his policies until we see what they amount to in about 20 to 30 years from now.

• Upvote 1

Humans cannot create anything out of nothingness. Humans cannot accomplish anything without holding onto something. After all, humans are not gods.

I feel like it isn't fair to judge his policies until we see what they amount to in about 20 to 30 years from now.

Well economically we cannot make an effective judgement of it until we get at least 10-15 years of data on the program. We can see some changes, but the stats are still too early to make an acurate statement.

its good for every other industry.

lol, not in the long run. Maybe short term.

Tiocfaidh ár lá

s6McZGm.jpg?1

Well economically we cannot make an effective judgement of it until we get at least 10-15 years of data on the program. We can see some changes, but the stats are still too early to make an acurate statement.

lol, not in the long run. Maybe short term.

Are you seriously going to ignore the useless wars he committed? They're still backlashing the U.S to this day.

Are you seriously going to ignore the useless wars he committed? They're still backlashing the U.S to this day.

The Iraq war could have been finished in the Gulf War in the early 90s. The US had also been using this policy for decades, so it's not much of an issue. 

Voted: Screw the Government! Nothing changes ever!

America has been committing slow-motion suicide for a while now.... only a matter of time.

That's Obama for you.

• Upvote 2

Tiocfaidh ár lá

s6McZGm.jpg?1

A president doesn't deserve all the credit/blame for what happens while he/she is in office, but as team leader they certainly deserve some of it. Obama deserves praise for what he helped achieve with the US economy, Cuba, Iran, gay marriage, climate policy, and health-care, but his greatest legacy will be how he pushed the core of the Republican party further to the right.

6hu5nt.jpg

The Democrats always "win" in my books for doing slightly less damage to the middle class and the environment, but lets not kid ourselves here. Hope turned to nope within 3 months of his term; he's just another cheap easy corporate shill who threw out his mandate in the face of any real opposition. The party system will never produce an alternative to party politicians. Now Canada gets to do the same thing under Justin "Great Hair" Trudeau. The winner of a rat race is still a rat.

• Upvote 2

A president doesn't deserve all the credit/blame for what happens while he/she is in office, but as team leader they certainly deserve some of it. Obama deserves praise for what he helped achieve with the US economy, Cuba, Iran, gay marriage, climate policy, and health-care, but his greatest legacy will be how he pushed the core of the Republican party further to the right.

If you noticed I did not target President Obama directly. Under his term is usually how the judgement falls, but looking back at the elections and everything that has happened since, regardless if it was his policies or the policies of Congress, that is what I ask for overall to be weighed.

So you are just asking if things are better today than in '08/09? Well, yeah, obviously. A global economic bubble burst in '08 so duh.

I lost a lot and was forced to move from California to the Midwest and things financially for me have worsened. Only recently I have been able to get back on my feet but it was with no help from the government. Granted I lost everything in California before 2006 when the first spasm of the bubble was ready to pop and 1/3 of private businesses were starting to go belly up. My business slipped into oblivion and I was left in a huge debt that I finally paid off in 2010- again with no help from the government.

So for some of us it is no better. Duh!

Edited by Lord Asmodeus

Yes. But I am open to other points which is why I posted the Original question to all.

I met many people who also benefited greatly over the last eight years. Many were able to finish their educations and find positions which allowed their careers to flourish. Certain friends of mine were able to break the California Code for success and find jobs in the media and film industries which to my surprise did not suffer but only expanded as our society becomes ever more visually stimulated via our ocular senses. To them this time has been an incredible era of newfound benefit. it is all subjective.

From what I gather, you see it as a successful tie due to the integrated policies which crept us out of the pit of recession I assume? Cool. However due to these policies not everyone would see it as an 'obvious' assumption.

Yes. But I am open to other points which is why I posted the Original question to all.

I met many people who also benefited greatly over the last eight years. Many were able to finish their educations and find positions which allowed their careers to flourish. Certain friends of mine were able to break the California Code for success and find jobs in the media and film industries which to my surprise did not suffer but only expanded as our society becomes ever more visually stimulated via our ocular senses. To them this time has been an incredible era of newfound benefit. it is all subjective.

From what I gather, you see it as a successful tie due to the integrated policies which crept us out of the pit of recession I assume? Cool. However due to these policies not everyone would see it as an 'obvious' assumption.

You did not frame the question as "how have you as an individual fared since January 2009".  You could have and then your question would have been subjective.  As it stands now it is an objective question - which has an answer that is fairly easy to intuit. The nation, the State really, overall has improved.  Again, you used other data points known to you personally.  Just like your story, they do no represent anything more, or less, than a data point(s).

The US's economy returning closer to the trend line after an economic bubble has burst is pretty "obvious" actually.

Integrated policies?  Not really, more of a natural cyclical rebound.  Economic trends have little to do with who POTUS tbh.

Did you intend the question to be "how have Obama's policies impacted short the short term economic health of the US"? or "how have Obama's policies impacted me and the people I know?"

• Upvote 1

-signature removed for rules violation-

How is lowering operating costs bad for companies, such as when we see cost savings from gas that costs 2 dollars a gallon vs 4 dollars a gallon?

not even talking about major corporations, but me personally that difference saves me about 1500-1000 dollars a year.

Im not trying to troll you here, but I dont see your logic.