In-game user blocking

Kurdanak

Just report them? They'll get a strike and if they bother you again they get a reset or some !@#$. Easy peasy

Edited by Metro

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

Just report them? They'll get a strike and if they bother you again they get a reset or some !@#$. Easy peasy

A lot of the use in my mind is cases where it's not necessarily warn worthy, it's just annoying enough that you don't want to hear it any further. For example, someone trying to trash talk you and getting annoyed at the constant message notifications. :P

Example A: Jemmm

Edited by Kurdanak
  • Upvote 1
xzhPlEh.png?1

A lot of the use in my mind is cases where it's not necessarily warn worthy, it's just annoying enough that you don't want to hear it any further. For example, someone trying to trash talk you and getting annoyed at the constant message notifications. :P

Example A: Jemmm

Jemmm is in the military and his nation was hijacked when the VE thing went down. You won't be hearing from him because he won't be able to use his nation. Also this suggestion seems in nod of my situation and I can handle it on my own. This getting blown way out of proportion and I agree more with Metro than you and I don't particularly like him, but his point is valid and this post is just irritating. 

:wub: -removed by thor- :wub:

Jemmm is in the military and his nation was hijacked when the VE thing went down. You won't be hearing from him because he won't be able to use his nation. Also this suggestion seems in nod of my situation and I can handle it on my own. This getting blown way out of proportion and I agree more with Metro than you and I don't particularly like him, but his point is valid and this post is just irritating.

First, Jemmm has been a pain in the butt for more than a year now, usually in an annoying manner rather than in a rule violating manner. My using of him as an example is unrelated to the recent situation.

Second, this has been suggested several times before because of many other cases, and never added for whatever reason. Katerina's report just reminded me of it, as it's been a while since the last time it was suggested. If it were any other case, from repetitive annoyance to full-blown harassment, I would've been reminded by that, too.

Edited by Kurdanak
  • Upvote 2
xzhPlEh.png?1

It would be more efficient to add this type of feature. Prevention is key in these types of situations. By disabling or blocking certain users who have a history of harassment, you can very easily cut down on the need for moderation intervention.

• Upvote 1

Jemmm is in the military and his nation was hijacked when the VE thing went down.

It wasn't jemmm then?

Iso, pay up bby

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

I don't think you realize the annoyance of having a notification and not being able to do anything about it.

Delete it? There is a delete button, ya know.

Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

If one notification bothers you that much, then I have some bad news for you about people buying 1 item at a time in marketplace

But really, this suggestion would be a good way to deal with those people who spams messages or alliance invites(assuming this one would also get blocked)

UedhRvY.png

• Administrators

How would this work on practice?

Since it would ruin the game to not be able to declare on people who're blocking you, the only way I could imagine this working is if you have a user "Blocked", you cannot see their in game messages, and nothing else. Would that suffice for the feature?

Also, I would guess it's best to not let the person sending you messages know they're blocked, but what are the general thoughts on that?

In IPB, usually you'll get a notice if you tried to send a PM to a user who blocked you. I don't see why this shouldn't happen in the game. If someone you blocked sent you an ingame message and they have no way knowing whether the message is blocked or not, good chance they'll just assume you have read the message anyway. It could be really confusing if the message is actually something important imo.

• Upvote 1
UedhRvY.png

Since it would ruin the game to not be able to declare on people who're blocking you, the only way I could imagine this working is if you have a user "Blocked", you cannot see their in game messages, and nothing else. Would that suffice for the feature?

Also, I would guess it's best to not let the person sending you messages know they're blocked, but what are the general thoughts on that?

That's how I assumed it would work, being able to completely block nations from declaring war and such will be abused ALL the time.

I agree that in-game message blocking should be added.

"what cannot be settled by experiment is not worth debating"

Being able to block in-game messages is what I was going for. Nothing more than that, for obvious reasons.
xzhPlEh.png?1

It would block out private messages, but like nations could still declare war on on them. I think there should be an error when you message someone, just like on the forums when you're blocked. I see that as a the best way to go about it..

Edited by Ansom

:wub: -removed by thor- :wub:

The way I envisioned it would be blocking of in-game PMs. In game communication like war declarations, etc would still go through the normal notification system.

I don't think it would be wise to block actual game notifications from a person, because then said person could declare on your nation and you'd never know what's going on.

duskhornexceptional.png.d9e24adf7f0945530780eee694428f27.png

He's right, I'm such a stinker. Play my exceptional game!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...