Perks.

Prefontaine

So I'm going to start fleshing out the perk idea, it's going to take a lot of time and effort. I just made a posted in the closed dev area in regards to how things should flesh out in terms of how should perk points be acquired and how should perk resets work. Once that idea gets more concise I will bring it here to discuss. What I'd like from you in the mean time is ideas for perks. For those of you who don't know my perk system is akin to MMOs skill trees. Think of a perk like this:

Military Perk: Your soliders die 5% less in ground attacks for each point spent in this perk up to 5

Military Perk: Your soldiers kill 5% more in ground attacks for each point spent in this perk up to 5

Econ Perk: Non military expenses reduced by 5% for each point spent in this perk up to 4

Econ Perk: Increase population in each city by 2.5% for each point spent in this perk up to 4, total population bonus may not exceed 15k per city. (so if you have 200,000 population in a city and have this at 10%, you wouldn't get 20k, but still 15k)

Resource Perk: Pollution emissions reduced by 15% for each point spent in this perk up to 4.

Resource Perk: Manufacturing costs X less  raw resources for each point spent in this perk.

So those are some examples. Label what sort of category they'd fall in, what they would do. Keep in mind they can't really be too powerful, but shouldn't be weak either. Don't be afraid to suggest something powerful as I'm working on a list of "Major Perks" that would be something you're limited on the number you can have and such. 

This is something that will be worked on for a while as it's going to be big if it works. You all wanted in on the closed dev aspect, here's your chance. Give meaningful responses, don't advance your own agenda, don't get off topic. Give me perk ideas, I've already got plenty but I want more. The more the better. Want spy related perks? Give me espionage perks. Tell me what they do, what values you think they should be. Want project related perks? Tell me about your ideas. If you want to talk to me privately about your ideas send me an in game message. https://politicsandwar.com/nation/id=3767

Edited by Judge Dredd
  • Upvote 1

scSqPGJ.gif

Since this is back in discussion again, what were the problems with the system Sheepy proposed here?  So we have an idea of where to go differently this time around.

So, I'm not sure if I got this straight, but it seemed like Sheepy's perks system worked like you add points to a certain section, and the rewards get better every time you add points. For an espionage perk, based off the current system:

1st point: Reduce initial cost to $25,000

2nd point: Upkeep costs reduced to $1,800 per spy per day

3rd point: Operational costs reduced to $4,000 per spy, upkeep costs reduced to $1,200 per spy per day

4th point: Spy cap increased by 5

5th point: Recruitment of spies each day +1

It's a useful mental exercise. Through the years, many thinkers have been fascinated by it. But I don't enjoy playing. It was a game that was born during a brutal age when life counted for little. Everyone believed that some people were worth more than others. Kings. Pawns. I don't think that anyone is worth more than anyone else. Chess is just a game. Real people are not pieces. You can't assign more value to some of them and not others. Not to me. Not to anyone. People are not a thing that you can sacrifice. The lesson is, if anyone who looks on to the world as if it was a game of chess, deserves to lose.

Since this is back in discussion again, what were the problems with the system Sheepy proposed here?  So we have an idea of where to go differently this time around.

Ignore those perks.

So, I'm not sure if I got this straight, but it seemed like Sheepy's perks system worked like you add points to a certain section, and the rewards get better every time you add points. For an espionage perk, based off the current system:

1st point: Reduce initial cost to $25,000

2nd point: Upkeep costs reduced to $1,800 per spy per day

3rd point: Operational costs reduced to $4,000 per spy, upkeep costs reduced to $1,200 per spy per day

4th point: Spy cap increased by 5

5th point: Recruitment of spies each day +1

Ignore this system.

Please post suggestions as requested in the OP.

Edited by Judge Dredd

scSqPGJ.gif

Espionage Perk: Increase spy cap by 1 for each point up to 4 points.

Espionage Perk: Reduce upkeep costs by $300 per spy per every 1 point spent up to 4 points.

It's a useful mental exercise. Through the years, many thinkers have been fascinated by it. But I don't enjoy playing. It was a game that was born during a brutal age when life counted for little. Everyone believed that some people were worth more than others. Kings. Pawns. I don't think that anyone is worth more than anyone else. Chess is just a game. Real people are not pieces. You can't assign more value to some of them and not others. Not to me. Not to anyone. People are not a thing that you can sacrifice. The lesson is, if anyone who looks on to the world as if it was a game of chess, deserves to lose.

Econ Perk: Civil buildings are 10% more effective for each point up to 5 (so police stations/hospitals max out at 3.75% reduction, recycling center maxes out at 105 pollution reduction, and subways max out at 67.5 pollution reduction)

Military Perk: Tanks are equal to 10 more unarmed soldiers for each point up to 6 points.

Resource Perk: Reduce food consumption by 3% for each point up to 5 points.

• Upvote 1

indonesia.jpg

King Bilal the Great Mediocre

The Average monarch of Billonesia

Wikia page (if you're into roleplay things).

We Tvtropes now. (down the rabbit hole!)

How about Alliance Perks?  Wherein alliance members could contribute their points to a set of perks that would be distributed to all members of the alliance as a whole?  There would be a minimum threshold/minimum requirement before the perk(s) would take effect which would require coordination and sacrifice by members.

• Upvote 2

Priest of Dio

How about Alliance Perks?  Wherein alliance members could contribute their points to a set of perks that would be distributed to all members of the alliance as a whole?  There would be a minimum threshold/minimum requirement before the perk(s) would take effect which would require coordination and sacrifice by members.

I actually saw this in a phone app game. Was a really interesting concept, and I quite frankly like the idea of it. I think one of the problems with this, is that it just makes bigger alliances more tempting then small alliances. Along with the many other things big alliances can already give.

• Upvote 2

Military Perk: Assembly Line - Allows each Factory to produce 10 extra tanks per day past the maximum of 50 for each point spent up to 5.

Military Perk: Efficient Housing - Allows each Barracks to house 500 extra soldiers past the maximum of 3000 for each point spent up to 5.

Military Perk: Meals ready-to-eat - Increases the efficiency of food that soldiers eat, allowing 1 Food to feed 50 extra soldiers per day in both peacetime and war for point spent up to 5. (5 Points would be 1 Food per 1000 a day in peacetime and 1 Food per 750 in wartime)

Military Perk: Compact - Missiles - Reduces the resource manufacture cost of each missile by 10 for each point spent up to 5. (5 points would be 50 Aluminum, 25 Gasoline, 25 Munitions per missile)

Military Perk: Compact - Nukes - Reduces the resource manufacture cost of each nuke by 25 for each point spent up to 5. (5 points would be 625 Aluminum, 375 Gasoline, 125 Uranium per nuke)

Military Perk: Right of conquest - Increases the amount of offensive wars you can declare by 1 past the maximum of 5 per point spent up to 5. (5 points would be 10 offensive wars at a time)

Resource Perk: Uranium Rich - Allows one extra Uranium mine per city past the maximum of 2 for each point spent up to 5.

Resource Perk: Agricultural Land - Allows one extra farm per city past the maximum of 8 for each point spent up to 5.

Other Perk: Wind Farms - Allows each Wind power plant to power 50 extra infrastructure past the maximum of 250 for each point spent up to 5. Increases the operational costs by $1000 per day for each point.

Other Perk: Waste Management - Allows each Recycling Center to reduce the pollution index by a further 10 points per point spent up to 5. (5 points would be 120 pollution reduction)

--

These are a few ideas I came up with. Obviously the numbers and the amount of points spent needs to be fine tuned, but I tried to come up with some unique ideas that weren't already suggested.
Edited by Godfrey
  • Upvote 4

This was talked about back in the day too, theres things to take into account that will be in terms of balancing and what not size of alliance and what not.. What it costs etc.. But that's a conversation for another day. I want to keep this thread limited to suggestions to keep things on target. This is a big project and if we talk about all aspects at once nothing gets done. Breaking into parts right now. This part is about getting a massive list of ideas. After we get the ideas and a frame of the system, then we start working the list down and trimming.

scSqPGJ.gif

I actually saw this in a phone app game. Was a really interesting concept, and I quite frankly like the idea of it. I think one of the problems with this, is that it just makes bigger alliances more tempting then small alliances. Along with the many other things big alliances can already give.

Don't make it a hard threshold but rather a percentage threshold that can be scaled according to alliance size.  This could cut both ways, by the way, since a larger alliance would need to corral a larger segment of players in order to obtain the perk.

Priest of Dio

Military Perk: Doubles the chance of destroying an improvement in a ground battle

Military Perk: Increase infrastructure damage dealt in ground battles/air strikes/naval attack (maybe a different perk for each)

Military Perk: Units loot +x% more in ground battles

Military Perk: Infantry consume 50% more munitions, but strength increases from +75% to +100%

• Upvote 1

Gov. Type Perk: allow your nation to have 2 government types at once (or access a second tier of gov types that have higher perks to them)

Cooldown Perk: shave cooldown procces by 5 days

Color Perk: Stay on beige for 3 more days than the original max

Color Perk: Color switch cooldown is halfed

Edited by Kim Jong-Il

The many forms of proof regarding Kastor's sexuality:

- Kastor: I already came out the closet.

- MaIone: I'm gay

* MaIone is now known as Kastor

- Henri: i'm a !@#$it

Skable: the !@#$ is a codo?

420kekscope.jpg

If there is perks you can put up to 5 points in to max out a benefit, why not perks that cost 2, 3, 4, 5 just to get?

eg.
Resource Perk: Adds access to another raw resource not native to your continent (5 points) - Could be a bit overpowered though

Econ Perk: Increase commerce by 1% per point (max at 5%)

Improvement Perk: Add another improvement slot to every city (5 points)

As you sow, so shall you reap

So, on the previous thread concerning perks, there was mentioned an option that you can reset your perks. If that is something that will continue, perhaps we can have the cost for resetting perks to be a credit. 

Military Perk: 2% chance missiles hit a power plant for each point. Up to 5 points.

Energy Perk: one windmill powers 50 extra infrastructure for each point. Up to 5 points.

Edited by Boony001
6XmKiC2.png

• Wiki Mod

I'd like to see perks that move military units in the direction of specialization.

Examples:

Ship anti-air: Ships return 5% of the damage received from airstrikes, but are 1% less powerful against other ships.

Advanced Cannons: Your ships do 5% more damage to other ships & infra, but receive 5% more damage from air-strikes & sabotage.

Air to Air missiles: Your planes kill 3% more enemy planes in dogfights, but do 5% less infra damage in all attacks.

Air to ground missiles: Your planes do 3% more infra damage & 5% more damage to all ground & naval units, but take 5% greater losses against other planes.

More variety & tactics, less cookie cutter build.

Also I think the way best for perk points to be acquired is purchase with cash & resources, this provides a resource sink & balances the increase in availability from the econ perks. This should be on an increasing cost scale, which provides a soft cap on the number of points available to you.

• Upvote 2

23:38 Skable that's why we don't want Rose involved, so we can take the m all for ourselves

23:39 [] but Mensa is the cute girl at the school dance and she's only dancing with us right now to get our friend jealous

23:39 [] If Rose comes in and gives Mensa what she wants, she'll just toss us aside and forget we ever existed

23:39 zombie_lanae yeah I do hope we can keep having them all to ourselves

23:40 zombie_lanae I know it's selfish but I want all their love

6:55 PM <+Isolatar> Praise Dio

Pubstomper|BNC [20:01:55] Rose wouldn't plan a hit on Mensa because it would be &#33;@#&#036;ing stupid

I'd like to see perks that move military units in the direction of specialization.

Air to Air missiles: Your planes kill 3% more enemy planes in dogfights, but do 5% less infra damage in all attacks.

It would be cool to have plays on real-life stuff for the names of this. 

Example for this: Frontwinders (instead of Sidewinders) 

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

• Wiki Mod

A quick note for my previous post. When I think of damage I'm thinking of cost value losses. So for the purposes of my suggestion losing a ship is 50,000 points of damage & losing a plane is 3,000.

In my anti air perk suggestion, the attacker would lose 5/6 of a plane per ship sank at the first level.

23:38 Skable that's why we don't want Rose involved, so we can take the m all for ourselves

23:39 [] but Mensa is the cute girl at the school dance and she's only dancing with us right now to get our friend jealous

23:39 [] If Rose comes in and gives Mensa what she wants, she'll just toss us aside and forget we ever existed

23:39 zombie_lanae yeah I do hope we can keep having them all to ourselves

23:40 zombie_lanae I know it's selfish but I want all their love

6:55 PM <+Isolatar> Praise Dio

Pubstomper|BNC [20:01:55] Rose wouldn't plan a hit on Mensa because it would be &#33;@#&#036;ing stupid

I think that we should have a -20% military upkeep cost like Sheepy originally suggested because that would be very useful IMO.

Humans cannot create anything out of nothingness. Humans cannot accomplish anything without holding onto something. After all, humans are not gods.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry to reply to this old post, but what is the name of that phone game you mentioned?

indonesia.jpg

King Bilal the Great Mediocre

The Average monarch of Billonesia

Wikia page (if you're into roleplay things).

We Tvtropes now. (down the rabbit hole!)