Awards Stupidity

Fox Fire

So we need to figure this out. Personally, I think February awards are probably jacked, so how about Boyd and DrRush work together and create a nice little awards staff for PaW?

They both contributed good additions.

As for Ambrose, well..... Figure it out... :sheepy:

• Upvote 1

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

<Jroc> I heard \ is an anagram of cocaine
<\> I can't be rearranged into a line, I already am a line.

--Foxburo Wiki--

Dr. Rush did make the best form for the Awards. Ambrose's was too unwieldy. Magicboy's, while simpler, is public. If we are to make an semi-official award, I'd prefer Rush's system. Having him and MB work together may be great, but it seems Rush already has it figured out.

Just my 2 cents.

• Upvote 1
http://i.imgur.com/K3xCRAP.png

Lol... Here I was hoping this thread is for awarding people for their stupidity

Too many awards kinda killed any hope of them being relevant in any way. They have the same point as a soggy sack of rats

• Upvote 3
UedhRvY.png

Clearly we need a poll to figure out who should do the awards so they can then make a poll to see who we want to win the awards.

It's really quite simple guys.

Edited by Keegoz
  • Upvote 4

[11:52 PM] Prefontaine: But Keegoz is actually bad. [11:52 PM] Prefontaine: He's my favorite bad leader though.

Clearly we need a poll to figure out who should do the awards so they can then make a poll to see who we want to win the awards.

It's really quite simple guys.

The point of this thread is to avoid that drama and force them to work together. -_-

They both put forward good efforts. Rather than make it into an argument (because it's just not even &#33;@#&#036;ing necessary), I suggest they both work together to make an awards staff. 

Why?

Because if this is a monthly thing, can one person really do it alone every month?

They both seem competent enough to handle it and if both are willing well then....

82733-why-dont-we-have-both-gif-YF1l.gif

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

<Jroc> I heard \ is an anagram of cocaine
<\> I can't be rearranged into a line, I already am a line.

--Foxburo Wiki--

I think the Legend awards should be monthly and the other awards should happen every 3 months. It will become too difficult and everyone will lose interest if every month they are nominating people.

"That ain't Cologne, that's the smell of success."

17:00 <•Sheepy> I don't want you to leave the game

19:20 <•Pubstomber>:

Man, I really wish Rose had allied BoC a couple months ago when we had the chance instead of picking Vanguard.

I think the Legend awards should be monthly and the other awards should happen every 3 months. It will become too difficult and everyone will lose interest if every month they are nominating people.

Not if you keep doing it how you did before sorry :P

==============================================================

As frustrated as I may be with it all, I will gladly work with him. I mean of course I was frustrated to have someone just come in later and say oh i started it first but didnt post it first, but I guess its all a bunch of drama i dont feel like getting into lol.

I am open for suggestions. I do still agree public is the best option. Not saying it will happen at all, but a private form could be biased in some way when results come out. Not saying it will, just saying there is the possibility. Public options allow for there to be clarity on everything and allow for people to make sure everything is there, tis why I did the public awards. That is also why I will create voting polls when the voting period is reached. It is really simple to just use a forum poll. 

• Upvote 1

Well no one argues with Kurdanak about doing the power rankings, he just does. :P

This should be the same sorta thing. Although Kurdanak has gotten lazy with it recently >.>

[11:52 PM] Prefontaine: But Keegoz is actually bad. [11:52 PM] Prefontaine: He's my favorite bad leader though.

• Wiki Mod

I also have no issue working to together, it would in fact be preferable. However, we seem to have a fundamental difference in opinion on how it should operate. I believe this stems from a difference in how we have prioritized the various issues with this type of deal. He has prioritized transparency in an effort to to dissuade nay sayers from screaming "BIAS!" the first time they don't like the results. I have prioritized making this easier to run long term & anonymity for voters.

My reasoning:

1. If this becomes a major thing, I can see people & alliances using questionable voting garnering tactics. Such as bribery, threats, & vote trading.This is much harder to do if you can't see who voted how.
  2. Bandwagoning, human nature creates a bias to wanting to be in the bigger group, this creates a bias towards the first few people who receives votes. The running tally being hidden from the voter eliminates this.
  3. Crazy people, I can see someone going after people who voted them as the worst player or some such. I don't want someone getting their account wrecked over my awards. In an open system the chances of this happening are much higher.
  4. Gambling, people bet on the oscars why not on the P&W Awards? /inb4 Ashland takes up being a bookie. Being able to see whos winning would skew the odds alot & make this a lot less of an enterprise.
  5. Suspense, if you can see someone got 3/4 of the nominations, it's a fair bet they are going to win the vote proper. Not very suspenseful.
  6. Data management, as the awards get larger a forum based approach becomes harder & harder to maintain. If you look at MB's thread, he has to go through several pages of nominations miked with discussion, people can make new nominations posts instead of editing old ones, people can edit after hes counted, people can put their nominations in a weird format. He has to flip through all of the pages to count the noms. Then he has to repeat the process with the vote thread or create a separate vote thread for each category. All of this becomes a major hassle & subject the process to many chances for human error. 

The form I'm using outputs it's information to a spreadsheet I can edit & perform operations on. I can sort each group alphabetically clumping all the votes for someone together for easy counting. I can total them in a box at the bottom that I can detach & scroll the screen with me. & long term I don't intend on counting the nominations & votes by hand. In Mensa I have access to experts in scripting & spreadsheets who can assist me in setting up the spreadsheet to count everything & provide the total automagicly. This reduces my work load to adding together votes from people using the alliance tags & those using the full name etc. & Placing the nominees who made it on the final ballot.

The Achilles heel to my method is transparency & the greater room for people to make accusations of bias. I am aware of this & have taken steps to mitigate it. I'm sure some of you noticed I said an advantage of my system is that it outputs to a spread sheet I can edit & yes this includes votes. What prevents me from just editing votes I don't like? One, in addition to the spreadsheet the form also records response internally in a list that can not be edited, if any serious questions arose I could give a 3rd party access to both the sheet & the form. They could then make comparison between them. Two, observers, I grabbed Ashland & Abbas off IRC today to verify my accuracy & double check my counts. They can see the votes as they come in & I have no idea when they last checked. So if I tried to change something they would likely notice. Third, the spreadsheet logs all of the recent changes much like a wiki. If I messed with the votes it would show there.

@MB I can imagine your frustrations with me saying I had started work on this before you but took longer to get it together. As I'm sure you can imagine my frustrations with having put together this nice form & everything & then have someone on irc go why did you do another one? Because someone got to it with a forum post first.

Edited by Dr Rush

23:38 Skable that's why we don't want Rose involved, so we can take the m all for ourselves

23:39 [] but Mensa is the cute girl at the school dance and she's only dancing with us right now to get our friend jealous

23:39 [] If Rose comes in and gives Mensa what she wants, she'll just toss us aside and forget we ever existed

23:39 zombie_lanae yeah I do hope we can keep having them all to ourselves

23:40 zombie_lanae I know it's selfish but I want all their love

6:55 PM <+Isolatar> Praise Dio

Pubstomper|BNC [20:01:55] Rose wouldn't plan a hit on Mensa because it would be &#33;@#&#036;ing stupid

Yeah of course I understand :P

I will say that not everyone that actually votes will nominate. Voting in a poll here can be made so names are not seen. Being said, only those that nominated would be seen. I wouldn't say that my method is extremely difficult because i have to go through things lol it will take me all but 10 minutes to tally up stuff. As well it is seeming more like If I tried to work with you it would be more of a me watch while you do the work since it's your system. I dont know how I would actually help do work :P

• Wiki Mod

I have more awards in mine then can be fit in a single topics worth of polls. If a forum admin was willing to make some adjustments to our permissions to let us do more then that I would not be opposed using the forum polls for the voting. However I still feel the nominations should go through an anonymous set-up for all the reasons stated above. For the moment your method is fairly easy (right now you only have 22 nominations to count), long term when this starts pulling 100 nominations or more with more awards it will become ever more time consuming to do. My planned set-up would take no longer with 1000 nominations then 100. Also there would be plenty of work for you to do. Google spreadsheets & forms can have more then one person work on them at a time. & while my goal is to have the spreadsheet do most of counting working a human is still needed to combine like names such as BoC & Brotherhood of the Clouds.  A human is also needed to break ties & place nominees on the ballot for the final vote. So there is plenty of work.

Last minute change: I have spoken with Sheepy & he has raised the number of questions that can be in a poll. So for the moment that works.

23:38 Skable that's why we don't want Rose involved, so we can take the m all for ourselves

23:39 [] but Mensa is the cute girl at the school dance and she's only dancing with us right now to get our friend jealous

23:39 [] If Rose comes in and gives Mensa what she wants, she'll just toss us aside and forget we ever existed

23:39 zombie_lanae yeah I do hope we can keep having them all to ourselves

23:40 zombie_lanae I know it's selfish but I want all their love

6:55 PM <+Isolatar> Praise Dio

Pubstomper|BNC [20:01:55] Rose wouldn't plan a hit on Mensa because it would be &#33;@#&#036;ing stupid

I have more awards in mine then can be fit in a single topics worth of polls. If a forum admin was willing to make some adjustments to our permissions to let us do more then that I would not be opposed using the forum polls for the voting. However I still feel the nominations should go through an anonymous set-up for all the reasons stated above. For the moment your method is fairly easy (right now you only have 22 nominations to count), long term when this starts pulling 100 nominations or more with more awards it will become ever more time consuming to do. My planned set-up would take no longer with 1000 nominations then 100. Also there would be plenty of work for you to do. Google spreadsheets & forms can have more then one person work on them at a time. & while my goal is to have the spreadsheet do most of counting working a human is still needed to combine like names such as BoC & Brotherhood of the Clouds.  A human is also needed to break ties & place nominees on the ballot for the final vote. So there is plenty of work.

Last minute change: I have spoken with Sheepy & he has raised the number of questions that can be in a poll. So for the moment that works.

Yeah I was originally planning to do a few polls. Well if you send me information and would like my help please let me know how I can. 

Well no one argues with Kurdanak about doing the power rankings, he just does. :P

This should be the same sorta thing. Although Kurdanak has gotten lazy with it recently >.>

*gags Keegoz and slips back into the lazy cave* Edited by Kurdanak
xzhPlEh.png?1