Why Politics and War is Dead During Peace

darkblade

5 hours ago, Raphael said:

I hate to tell you this but you're screaming into the void, and I think you know it. Village is gone, at least for the moment, and Alex has been AFK going on years now in regards to coding or development. We have no one to actually setup any of these lovely suggestions.

Sadly my friend, sadly.

image.png.6f019fcf718af1be5dd853e510616a8c.png

On 10/19/2023 at 4:34 PM, Kastor said:

i recently bought food/uranium for a month, deposited my money, and half-ass a log in every few days. But I don’t really *check* my nations.

Ok multi… nations 😉

On 10/19/2023 at 4:34 PM, Kastor said:

these things may seem silly, but they bring life to the game that would cause people to check their nation. 

I’m too high to read further but everything above this actually sounds legendary 

On 10/24/2023 at 3:48 AM, Kastor said:

The game was VERY active in 2016-2018. The game stopped being as interesting when NPO got deleted. Let’s just put it out there. Everything that happened after was bland and an overcorrection from the alliances in charge because people didn’t want any hegemonies or actual OOC beef. Before the game was almost majority OOC beef. Think about it:

SK/Guardian thought Rose/Keegoz were dumb so they planned to backstab them.

Pfieffer was rude to a bunch of people which caused Rose to dislike them. That caused several wars.

TKR backstabbing NPO because they didn’t trust Roq like they did Jasmine.

Steve-Partisan beef which caused a super long war. 

Hans getting reelected that started a war, 

Point is there were a ton of actual OOC issues that caused IC wars. There was beef on both sides and people disliked one another. Nowadays people don’t interact with each other(not because of discord) but because of the overcorrection.

Moderators are quick to stop alliances/members from flaming/hazing other people. Look at the cuck memes for Taroq, they deleted all of them multiple times.

point is the game completely changed after NPO got deleted. Even Alex changed certain things so it couldn’t happen again. The overcorrection has resulted in this game becoming stale.

which is why I will reiterate that @Alex should get rid of people on the development team and bring in people who have different ideas. All the new ideas and things have had little effect on the actual gameplay and have barely been received positively in most cases. Otherwise we will just be going down the same exact road we’ve been going.

If it makes you feel better, people still routinely backstab me. So that aspect of the game is yet to stop.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

[11:52 PM] Prefontaine: But Keegoz is actually bad. [11:52 PM] Prefontaine: He's my favorite bad leader though.

Wana attacked grumpy because i was mean to him in a podcast.

Honestly you are just looking at things with Rose colored glasses.  The issue was one group that never had power for years finally found themselves in the driver seat and abused that power to step on people's necks while also cheating to give themselves the ability to continue to step on people's necks. 

Lets be real here, in 5 years, someone is going to be on these forums !@#$ing about the same thing, but instead will be like in 20-23 the game was so much more interesting.

• Haha 1

On 10/23/2023 at 3:48 PM, Kastor said:

which is why I will reiterate that @Alex should get rid of people on the development team

I disagree with your entire post, but this piece shows you have no idea what's going on.

The development team has almost nothing to do with the development process, and is a huge misnomer on Alex's part. No one on that team can currently code anything. They just give small-room feedback on a few ideas that the admins pitch out and sometimes address balancing issues.

On 10/26/2023 at 12:44 PM, Raphael said:

I disagree with your entire post, but this piece shows you have no idea what's going on.

The development team has almost nothing to do with the development process, and is a huge misnomer on Alex's part. No one on that team can currently code anything. They just give small-room feedback on a few ideas that the admins pitch out and sometimes address balancing issues.

You disagree with his ENTIRE post?

He actually made some good points.  A lot of the “interesting” conflicts did start from OOC stupidity.  Not saying it should go that route, but he’s not wrong on that.

On 10/28/2023 at 1:51 AM, Buorhann said:

You disagree with his ENTIRE post?

He actually made some good points.  A lot of the “interesting” conflicts did start from OOC stupidity.  Not saying it should go that route, but he’s not wrong on that.

As in, encouraging OOC toxicity isn't the answer to more interesting politics.

• Downvote 2

On 10/16/2023 at 9:54 PM, darkblade said:

But I would argue that the lack of content hurts the retention rate of the player base and makes it contingent on the community or their alliance. What Alex needs to do is add more content that gives players a reason to be more active in the game and reward them for it. Perhaps even content focused around alliance members working together.

There are enough players that creates content in their alliances and servers. I think we are placing to much of this responsibility on Alex. 

The game is normally lackluster during peace. That's a natural part of the game. There is alot of stuff happening in this game. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm new to this game, just a couple weeks in. For the most part, I'm having a lot of fun. I like my alliance a lot, they've taught me a lot and raiding can be fun (can be very tedious, too). However, I do like some of the ideas presented in this thread like random activities etc.

With all this said though, this type of game, you have to proactively create fun (at least that's what I've noticed so far. Create a RP story or "tension" that's actionable by in-game wars and bulletins and stories. That's what I've done and it's in turn sparked some of my alliance members who haven't had any "action" for months. Find a reason, small or not, just "serious enough" to create tension, get some people involved, and see if it turns into something.

I don't know....like I said...still new so haven't seen a fraction of what you all have I'm sure.

• 2 months later...

I mean the big problem is that browser based MMO nation sims have never really been able to get a good gameplay loop going. They're not really that fun, outside of the warfare and even the warfare is largely predictable and mechanical. PNW improved on the genre from CN with better war mechanics and better trade, but it has largely failed to continue to innovate. Minigames like keno and baseball cannot prop up a core gameplay loop that is non-existent.

Part of that reason is money: while PNW makes enough money to keep the lights on (most of the time) I doubt it really makes enough to support the kind of live games development staff that would be required to keep the game fresh. Games and software in general is getting increasingly more expensive to develop. This means games need to either charge players money directly to play (reducing adoption, which is not ideal for an MMO) or introduce other monetization strategies like gacha or microtransactions (tough, because many people don't like this in games).

• Upvote 1

Secure. Contain. Protect.

I agree with the main message and the replies with propositions.

The Space Update, perks and alliance projects are long overdue.

I might as well ask for a luxury / tourism industry too then? 🤓

On 10/23/2023 at 3:48 PM, Kastor said:

Moderators are quick to stop alliances/members from flaming/hazing other people.

Sad cause trash talk is hilarious and should be expected especially in competitive games among players that take the game seriously

On 10/16/2023 at 9:54 PM, darkblade said:

While Alex may be inspired by my post to add more content for the game, so that players have something to do during peace time. It needs to be brought up that any future content should not have credits or any IRL financial involvement at all. While I understand Alex needs to pay the bills and be able to afford his daily Ramen, making any content P2W will ruin the whole reason for why the content is added. It should be activity and/or skilled based so that players actually earn what they worked for instead of getting it via their wallets.

Credits should remain but only for buying cosmetics, like how literally every other game does it, maybe add some cool cosmetic features that arent straight P2W

600 mil a month = UP, C11, PB, IA, RDC in one purchase on day one (which is insane)

• Upvote 1

I'm on team centralized community discourse. Everyone talks mechanics when it comes to changing the game for the better, but since when has this game been anything other than a bunch of people fighting over pixels? It doesn't matter what Alex does if the social element isn't there.

And I didn't expect to say it but I agree with Kastor. The most interesting parts of the game in my experience have come from random beef that gets blown out of proportion.

I'm reminded of this thread by Pre a while back, and particularly a comment by Sketchy:

It would help if people make an active attempt at actually making enemies too. If you already don't have a positive opinion of an alliance, douse the flames a bit.

Everyone too busy tryna finesse everyone who isn't their biggest threat so they can tally up more people in their column come time to fight.

Edited by naTia

Resident DJ @ Club Orbis

Founder of The Warehouse