Proposed Log-in Bonus Increases

Prefontaine

3 hours ago, Prefontaine said:

Giving players more money to do more things when they log in creates a better chance they retain interest and keep logging in. It's it minimal effort? Sure. Is it better than losing players? Absolutely. 

I said reduce, there will be a reduction and the concern from that change was largely resources - not money. Money has great sinks that work well. 

See point one. You have to start somewhere, that starting point is logging in. If they keep logging in they can develop skills and grow as players. 

It's behind a credit purchase because they get it for free for the first 60 days. 

Ah, that's fair enough.

Would the requirement be that you have to be 365 days old or younger to receive the bonus? Or can you activate it at 364 days and receive the bonus for the next 30 days?

Additionally, I do agree with Pascal that the number seems a bit high, but I would instead suggest changing the bonus to scale up slower (so it takes like 10-15 days to reach the max bonus instead of the current 4 days) to skew the rewards more towards the people who are the most active.

A couple more questions about the bonus: 

- Would the max bonus be carried over from subscription to subscription, or would it be reset every 30 days?

- Would missing one day reset the bonus? Or would you merely not get the bonus for that day? 

7 hours ago, KindaEpicMoah said:

Though I will question to what extent the low tier purge has affected low tier raiding, because while I do think it's made it harder to an extent, I don't think it's absolutely gutted it like some are suggesting.

This tbh, might it not be prudent to observe how this changes for a while first? Plus, from how I understand it, low tier only had that many targets because of a bug in Sheepy's code; so the way I see it raiding isn't getting nerfed, there's just a return to status quo.

• Upvote 1

Thought you ended the previous thread saying that deletion change wasn't going to happen, but guess it already has. Since half my war history is with deleted nations. Not sure how I feel about this change. I don't think it really compensates from the damage of the other change though. (Other thread was unclear, was it a one time surprise purge of everyone who's been inactive past a certain point or the new norm?)

If there is no undo button to suddenly a ton of people getting their accounts deleted from some sudden whim by the devs; guess we'll just need to live with the damage caused by that and move on. Ton of people got their account deleted without breaking a single rule & not even knowing not being active without going into vacation mode would get them deleted. They're just going to find out they were deleted if they ever come back. That a ton of people just got deleted for breaking no rules over some whim is more concerning than raiding being nerfed or whether it’s harder now for new players. They had no notice VM was required not to get deleted. (Until they were deleted, was no rule you need to go into VM to avoid deletion)

Until now, if I did go inactive would just be my city count which would matter much & wouldn’t have even thought about VM. Can try rationalizing they probably weren’t coming back anyways, doesn’t change they were deleted for breaking no rules. Just a whim. Increasing resource consumption would have been a better way to raise prices than delete a ton of nations for no rule violations, just so smaller nations can’t effect the price much. This change honestly will have zero effect on whether I’m motivated to climb higher or not, despite nations being so easily deleted by the devs. Climb higher? Why should I if I go inactive some knowing my cities will remain if I come back, to seeing I’m deleted for no reason almost.

Making it easier to climb up can’t compensate for making it less worthwhile of a goal. Deletion thing mostly makes me glad I haven’t taken on any debts or grants to climb in city, so I can VM if I want as I contemplate this. Did they deserve to be deleted for being inactive, when they had no reason to think they would be for that is the important question.

Sure it’s good to want to incentivize players to remain active, but deletion is a pretty severe punishment for going inactive. CN they put you in something like VM if you’re inactive to long rather than just delete you.

Edited by Anarchist Empire

17 hours ago, Sweeeeet Ronny D said:

Damn so if i am reading that correctly for 60 days as a brand new nation, if all you did was log in every day you would make 468 million dollars?  you can get to c15 and have 40 million left over just from sign in bonus.

That is fine by me, the toughest thing to get over in this game is how slow it is, so if you can get people to keep logging in over longer periods of time the better it is for the health of the game.

just out of curiosity did you guys do the math on what a C12-C15 nation makes? because after that 60 days is over that income drop is probably going to hurt, or is that why you have the credit thing so you can get em hooked on that sweet sweet income, and then make em pay to feel that high again?  Diabolical boys.

They. Already. Could.

[11:52 PM] Prefontaine: But Keegoz is actually bad. [11:52 PM] Prefontaine: He's my favorite bad leader though.

25 minutes ago, Keegoz said:

They. Already. Could.

What?  I am for your proposed change besides for the last paragraph which is me busting your balls.

Also nice to see Anarchy is taking up the slack for making super annoying posts.  Some of the old super annoying people have really fallen off.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, KindaEpicMoah said:

A couple more questions about the bonus: 

- Would the max bonus be carried over from subscription to subscription, or would it be reset every 30 days?

- Would missing one day reset the bonus? Or would you merely not get the bonus for that day? 

Missing one day would reset the bonus counter. The ideal method would be to get your bonus to the 4 day streak, buy the new player boost, then log in every day for 30 days to get 30 days of 6M bonus above the 2M standard. 

• Thanks 1

scSqPGJ.gif

Better this implemented sooner rather than later if bonus is for first 60 days of playing. (I don't like the other change, but this one is good I guess. Even if implemented after I would no longer benefit from the first 60 day bonus I suppose, which is what measures if it's good. If any nations who got deleted do come back, they'll need that bonus probably for any type of motivation.)

On 6/15/2023 at 11:07 AM, Prefontaine said:

Any player between 60 days old and 365 days old may purchase a "New Player Boost" which provides the new player login bonus rates

All the ideas look good here to me, seems to be a net-positive for the game.

My only feedback is regarding this quoted piece: I feel that both the game AND Alex would both benefit from widening this a little bit.

Rather than basing it on nation age, why not base it on a sliding scale in relation to cities (or even more simply, score). Anyone outside of the top 1% of the game (score or city-wise) can purchase this bonus. This allows those older players in the c20-39 range get a good boost and reason to login daily and help solve this growing issue of whales dominating the game, while also widening Alex's audience of "people who might be interested in buying more credits."

Just my two cents. I will also simply mention that $8m is a pretty high number when looking at the game's economy. That will add a lot of cash into the game that was otherwise not there, maybe try doing the new player bonus as $1.5m -> $2.5m -> $5m first and see how that pans out. We can increase it later on.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Roberts said:

Rather than basing it on nation age, why not base it on a sliding scale in relation to cities (or even more simply, score). Anyone outside of the top 1% of the game (score or city-wise) can purchase this bonus. This allows those older players in the c20-39 range get a good boost and reason to login daily and help solve this growing issue of whales dominating the game, while also widening Alex's audience of "people who might be interested in buying more credits."

I would have an issue with this... If people find they cant "keep up" that is on them, find a new alliance, and find ways to be better.

On 6/15/2023 at 8:26 AM, leonissenbaum said:

These kinds of bonuses being dependent on nation age is going to incentivize people to just delete and re-create their nations when they get past 60 days (or 365 days?) if they're still raiding. To avoid this, having these kinds of bonuses be dependent on city count instead of nation age seems like it'd work much better.

I might be missing it, but is what the new player boost actually does explained?

If we have the bonuses dependent on city count, there will be a range of city counts that are absolutely useless to be at because organic income is less than the daily bonus. Making the bonus depend on city count just encourages growth stagnation. 

if we give new players more money, they build more cities and more infra and become juicier raid targets faster after they quit two weeks in. C3 is optimal because people that quit early generally don’t build past c10. Maybe this will move the optimal raiding point to like c10 or something as ppl build to into the c-teens relatively quickly before they give up on the game. 

At some point, I think the starting point of the game should just be c20. Let’s be honest, anybody below that point isn’t even playing the same game. They’re just training to play the game or intentionally avoiding being involved. Only problem is multi-farmers but that will always be a problem. And any solution aimed at faster growth will benefit multi-farmers so I don’t think that’s a good reason not to do something. 

Last 2 days,

06/23 12:00 am
You've received a $1,000,000 bonus for logging in today! Logging in every day consecutively earns you extra money, if you check on your nation tomorrow you'll earn $1,000,000! While your nation is less than 60 days old, you can earn up to $4,000,000 per day! You also received a $1,000,000 bonus from Activity Center!

Says I can earn $4m per day, but last 2 days says I earn the same logging in the next day. Even though everything else says it should be going up to $4m daily.

I'm not sure if it's bugged in only nations created after the change can reach $4m or it's telling me I can; but seems bugged one way or the other.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2023 at 2:33 PM, Sweeeeet Ronny D said:

Damn so if i am reading that correctly for 60 days as a brand new nation, if all you did was log in every day you would make 468 million dollars?  you can get to c15 and have 40 million left over just from sign in bonus.

That is fine by me, the toughest thing to get over in this game is how slow it is, so if you can get people to keep logging in over longer periods of time the better it is for the health of the game.

just out of curiosity did you guys do the math on what a C12-C15 nation makes? because after that 60 days is over that income drop is probably going to hurt, or is that why you have the credit thing so you can get em hooked on that sweet sweet income, and then make em pay to feel that high again?  Diabolical boys.

So true, is anyone else seeing this? I remember as a new player before activity center was released, the feeling when my income went from 1,000,000 per login to 500,000 per login. That seems like a tiny change now, but it was a lot of money at the time. The sudden decrease of income when you age out of a bonus is a letdown at best. 

• Upvote 1

• Village unpinned and unfeatured this topic