Nation Perks

Alex

• Administrators

I've been brainstorming the Nation Perks a little bit more and trying to come up with what I think would be appropriate bonuses and a system for how it would work. My thoughts are that there should be 4 Perk Categories, and each one should have 10 perks. Perk progression is linear in each category, meaning you need the 1st perk to be able to unlock the 2nd perk, and so on. You'd be able to use multiple perk categories at the same time, however. 

You'd unlock the ability to choose a perk every 100 score, and every nation would start with 1 free perk no matter what. That means you'd need a score of 3,900 to be able to unlock all of the perks. That, in turn, means that you'll have to be choosey and more pointed in how you want to build your nation.

Of course, we don't want to lock people in forever once they've made a choice, so we'll allow you to reset your perk choices and repick. This, of course, will have to come at a fee so you're not just changing your perks every day. My thoughts: the cost for the reset increases after each use, following the formula:

Cost = 25000*(Number of Resets^2)

That means first pick is free, second is $25,000, third is $100,000, and so on.

S9KqH.jpg

Now, what are the perks going to be? I'd actually like a lot of player input for that. Here's what I've come up with so far, but I'd love to hear your suggestions. Like I said, it shouldn't be anything too powerful, but be useful enough that you'll have to decide how to focus your nation.

5bfus.jpg

• Upvote 5

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

• Administrators

This game is getting... OP.

So like this formula:

25000*3 squared

25000 = cost for 2nd repick

3 or 4 or 5 = the amount of repicks

^2 = squared

I'm not sure what you mean by OP. You don't like the formula I proposed for repicking your perks?

Oooh... I'm liking the sound of this thing.

Maybe make it so that you can take a perk up to 3 or 5 times? Just so people can specialize their nation much further in a particular field

Hm, something I hadn't thought of but something I also think we may want to stay away from. I think that would lead to a lot more min-maxing than specializing.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

I really like the idea of the perks, have since Pre mentioned it ages ago.

One thing I would do is maybe offer some comparable branches? I mean, if you're going to work a perk tree in and have pre-reqs you may as well go full scale with this allowing for multiple branches ala RPG-style. Perhaps 2 or 3 branches per "group". Maybe one branch that focuses on decreasing costs and one branch that focuses on maximizing efficiency.

Also add some general perks that aren't specific to the four, like a bonus that "streamlines government bureaucracy" and enhances the gov bonuses.

duskhornexceptional.png.d9e24adf7f0945530780eee694428f27.png

He's right, I'm such a stinker. Play my exceptional game!

The strength of this system would exist for medium nations to chose which perks they want as small nations wouldn't have much of a choice as the bonuses at a small stage would be minor and large nations would be able to get pretty much anything they wanted. Therefor, I'd suggest switching the first 2 tiers of the resource tree around so that the food bonus is acquired before the 1% reduction in upkeep.

• Upvote 1

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

This sounds pretty cool, looking forward to seeing this

“Be your friend’s true friend.
Return gift for gift.
Repay laughter with laughter again
but betrayal with treachery.”

Hávamál

I'm not sure what you mean by OP. You don't like the formula I proposed for repicking your perks?

Hm, something I hadn't thought of but something I also think we may want to stay away from. I think that would lead to a lot more min-maxing than specializing.

Yeah since the highest ones (I seen a nation with over 500 score) get really OP even though the war range is 25% for weaker, 500 - 25% = 375, that is quite a lot and overpowered. We could maybe, If I'm sure organize these perks.

ka4k09.jpg

I always agreeing with this idea since the idea was brought up in beta. Yes, I'm looking forward into this.

indonesia.jpg

King Bilal the Great Mediocre

The Average monarch of Billonesia

Wikia page (if you're into roleplay things).

We Tvtropes now. (down the rabbit hole!)

If you're brainstorming, how about at the same thime thinking about alliance-perks, to introduce real differences between alliances except tax and colour.

-Players get additional 1% of the Alliance-tax into their own banks
-Alliancebank looses 10% less money after enemy raid

-Alliancemembers can replenish 10% more soldiers/day

for example.

So there will be real Trade/raid/military/etc-alliances, not just my name, but by content.

It also would encourage diplomatic debattes inside of an alliances, since every member sees another perk more valuable.

• Upvote 2

Now would the higher tier perks in each tree, i.e. the ninth perk in military, be better than the first? And could completing a tree give another bonus?

• Upvote 1

YkvbNCA.jpg

You're no longer protecting the II? We have still teamed with II and TAC (and others) to rival The Covenants. This is getting complex.

#FA_Problems

Big problems for TSG. Really, not kidding.

If Casey and Cyradis are King and Queen does that mean they're married?

My feedback:

1. Can we balance perks? It is higher perk, higher power or each rank gives an equal boost? For example 37th perk stronger than 36th?

2. What about government perks? In some type of government, you get a small amount of bonus as that attribute. For example: 6% less in infrastructure in Autocracy or 6% reduce city cost in Republic?

3. Can we organize these perks into tiers? Because sometimes people spam for one column.

4. Can we get these perks more complex? For example, needing 2 (sometimes 3) following perks to unlock another. This prevents spamming score to get the heaviest tier like in my 1st example?

5. Can we replace score with perk points? So some BIG resource-boosting perks needs more perk points to unlock, once again to avoid spamming resource-boost perks (especially big ones), because it would be overpowered?

ka4k09.jpg

• Administrators

Now would the higher tier perks in each tree, i.e. the ninth perk in military, be better than the first? And could completing a tree give another bonus?

Yes, they would be sequential in there unlocking and progressively better. I don't think unlocking a whole tree would offer any additional bonus.

Forums Rules | Game Link

Are these perks meant to turn nations into specializations or are they meant to just be general bonuses? If they're meant to promote specializations then I think it could be useful to consider adding a bit of a time element to switching them. I mean sure exponential growth in the cost could be seen as a ton of cash right now... but later on when super nations are roaming the world I'm sure it'll be a drop in the bucket to switch towards war bonuses when at war & vice versa. It'll just mean that nations will save "warchests" geared entirely to make the swaps when needed.

But by introducing a time modifier to it, it would instead promote more forethought and strategy to doing it and could invite some interesting alliance scenarios if an aggressive alliance suddenly attacked a economic based one out of the blue.

As for alliance perks, well really I'm not too fond of the idea as it'll only further establish supremacy of older alliances which will create stagnate politics and kill the game.

Edited by Thulium

politics & skyrim

• Upvote 3

"In an honest service there is thin commons, low wages, and hard labor; in this, plenty and satiety, pleasure and ease, liberty and power; and who would not balance creditor on this side, when all the hazard that is run for it, at worst, is only a sour look or two at choking. No, a merry life and a short one, shall be my motto." - Bartholomew "Black Bart" Roberts

Green Enforcement Agency will rise again!

I agree with Thulium that the reset should have some kind of a timer, just to prevent a previously commerce-built huge nation suddenly jumped the gun and switched all of its perks to military ones, then immediately switched back to commerce as soon as the war is over.

I'm still kinda curious how would the supremacy of older alliances would kill the game, though...

UedhRvY.png

politics & skyrim

Each perk should come with an image of cartoon sheep related to the perk.

indonesia.jpg

King Bilal the Great Mediocre

The Average monarch of Billonesia

Wikia page (if you're into roleplay things).

We Tvtropes now. (down the rabbit hole!)

I agree with Thulium that the reset should have some kind of a timer, just to prevent a previously commerce-built huge nation suddenly jumped the gun and switched all of its perks to military ones, then immediately switched back to commerce as soon as the war is over.

I'm still kinda curious how would the supremacy of older alliances would kill the game, though...

Killing the game might be too strong of a phrase, but what I meant by it was that it'd offer a strong advantage to the established alliances. Whereas newer ones wouldn't benefit due to a lack of time to establish these bonuses which means that if you had an older mediocre group (not implying any currently exist, save for the sake of the point I'm making) it'd be able to accrue a bunch of bonuses to keep it afloat whereas a new alliance made up of super active players and forum members would have to slog behind.

Not to mention from a recruiting standpoint newer nations would join alliances with higher bonuses instead of ones that had less to offer... thus, it'd create a lop sided situation where older alliances would only make life harder for newer ones; hence stifling the game a bit as new alliances = new members = new activity.

• 3 months later...