Special character bug

----

• Administrators

The game isn't really built for special characters. Sorry, this was a misunderstanding, I didn't realize it was related to the database upgrade.

Do you have an example link?

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Previously, when I entered characters (Polish), they appeared normally. These characters include: ą, ć, ę, ł, ó, ń, ś, ż, ź.

I never had any issue with these characters appearing on my nation page or city names until right after this last update.

Here is a screen shot from May 19 (city names). Note that all the special characters appeared normally. 

GzJC4nC.png

same with weebunism alliance page
・ became ・
ハルジオン became  ãƒãƒ«ã‚¸ã‚ªãƒ³
tried editing description to fix it but changed to the same thing
unknown.png

1 hour ago, Alex said:

The game isn't really built for special characters.

Do you have an example link?

That response is a good way to start a flame war. Wouldn't it be better to just ask people for a few links and you'll look into it, at some point? Even if it ends up being 3 months down the track.

Just to keep things on topic, the special characters I use for my city names (eg Falkonéra) are fine.

• Upvote 1

sig_cybernations.PNG.8d49a01423f488a0f1b846927f5acc7e.PNG

• Administrators

This could be a result of the server upgrade we did in relation to the database. I'm chatting with ss23 about it now, but have you tried re-saving the special characters in the names? Does that resolve the issue?

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

2 hours ago, Alex said:

The game isn't really built for special characters.

Special characters had no problem before now there is an issue. And it's something you changed. Fix it please.

2 hours ago, Alex said:

This could be a result of the server upgrade we did in relation to the database. I'm chatting with ss23 about it now, but have you tried re-saving the special characters in the names? Does that resolve the issue?

Re-saving doesn’t work (at least not for me).

• Like 2

It doesn't like Cyrillic either....
image.thumb.png.be10144f6c7ffe6ff09ec5f0eedb451f.png

2 hours ago, Klemens Hawicki said:

Re-saving doesn’t work (at least not for me).

Likewise, 

Edited by Sphinx

• Administrators

My guess is something about the character encoding changes when we did the recent server upgrade. I'll look into this and should have it resolved within the next couple of days.

Forums Rules | Game Link

• Administrators

It looks like I was able to figure out the issue, and I'm updating the character encoding in the database to allow all the special characters. Unfortunately, the old text doesn't all automatically work - you'll have to re-enter and re-save it for it to show up properly it seems.

Forums Rules | Game Link