An Open Discussion With the Moderator Team

Magneto

You guys let captain illiterate post thread after thread of crap on the forum, but then warn people all over the place for months-old benign signatures and close perfectly normal threads in alliance affairs about actual in-game occurrences. Did the mod team have a bad weekend or are things taking a turn for the worse? 

ETA: And it strains credulity that you continued to give people "Verbal warnings" for signatures after it was demonstrated that your own forum interface gave conflicting instructions about line limits, images, URLs etc. 

my poor english isnt my fault nor is it against rules

I changed my forum signature to be consistent with the rules. Enjoy!

>inb4 rule change

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

For my own part, I'm satisfied that Thor has recognized mod errors in both situations - thread and sig enforcement - and apologized on IRC (and, he said, will do so on the forums). I'm not convinced alliance bias played a role. I have some continuing concern that the thread lock was approved by two mods, but stuff happens. 

• Upvote 1

For my own part, I'm satisfied that Thor has recognized mod errors in both situations - thread and sig enforcement - and apologized on IRC (and, he said, will do so on the forums). I'm not convinced alliance bias played a role. I have some continuing concern that the thread lock was approved by two mods, but stuff happens. 

I was in that chat as well. I am now MORE convinced that alliance bias played a role.  But secret mod identities and such just reinforce it for me.

I will await what comes out in forum from Thor's apology.

-signature removed for rules violation-

I was in that chat as well. I am now MORE convinced that alliance bias played a role.  But secret mod identities and such just reinforce it for me.

I will await what comes out in forum from Thor's apology.

I agree that mod pseudonyms give rise to more conspiracy theories and other concerns about mod bias than might exist if we just knew who they were and what biases they might have. Between mod identities and the closed development group, PNW could use a little more emphasis on transparency. 

Major props to Avruch on his responses to all of this, both on IRC and these forums. I respect and understand the situation a lot more that way, it's when we get things like Pfeiffer telling Thor to "go dickride Rameses" or TUGT telling Thor to "suck my dick !@#$" (both actual IRC quotes) that I have immense trouble taking a lot of the criticism going around seriously. :mellow:

Edited by Kurdanak
xzhPlEh.png?1

• 2 weeks later...

If I said that Avruch is one of the least shitty people in Mensa, it would be like a kiss of death. So instead I'll tell you what I really feel: Avruch !@#$ sucks.

About esprit de corps; knowledge is power; what you know gives you power. If there is a confidential moderation team, with identities, as well as policies being unknown, it gives the moderation team more incentive, because now they're part of a cool secret club.

From what I've heard, moderation is no fun. You get kicked from both the above and below; administration often has issues with what you do and pulls rank (not in this game, as far as I'm aware) to abuse you, and from below, the common mantra is "mods are !@#$s", even from people who are secretly mods.

So having a secret makes the game more fun when dealing with these types of pressures, and knowing "things", like whatever Sheepy might disclose about his personal life and goals, who the mods are, and what the rules for moderator action is, is a privilege and benefit of being a moderator. You do it for these basic benefits, and also because sometimes moderation is hierarchical, and if you can't be head of your alliance, you may be able to be head or high-up in the moderation team.

On the other hand, since knowledge is power, power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely, secrecy can lead to issues, especially if unchecked. I have no clue whether this is happening or will happen in this game, but it's something to consider.

And as I've said earlier, the present moderation system is the least worse alternative out of all the "basic" moderation paradigms available. It fits the structure of the game.

Edited by Inst

Sheepy should be able to do it by making a Permission Set called something along the lines of "Member - Banned From Debate Forum" and then adding that member to that Permission Set. I would offer to see if I could make a plugin to do something along the lines of banning a member from an area, but making plugins seems to require reasonably high level knowledge of the workings of IP.Board, knowledge I don't have.

The best bet here for Sheepy would be to see if he could try using the Permission Sets to block certain people. If he can't find or make a plugin.

As for thicker skin, everybody needs it. Especially if the criticisms being said are valid and correct. I myself do attempt to be polite on here, but others are different and yes, if you are going to troll, don't get annoyed if you et warned for it, I can agree on that point as well.

why ban only people with fascist ideologies? If anything we should ban people with communist ideologies. Mao and Stalin killed many times more innocent people than Hitler ever did. My point of view is that every ideology has its own flaws, and we shouldn't ban someone from sections of the forum for having a belief that not everybody believes in. That goes against the Western tradition. Its one thing to ban people for being trolls, its another thing if thing if they are having a legitimate and mature discussion in the appropriate part of the forum for such events to occur. Why even have that section of the forum if we are going to stifle free speech? While yes, this is a private forum, their can be no debate if certain ideologies are completely banned from being discussed. If that is the case, I would recommend doing away with the debate section in its entirety then 

• 2 months later...

I'd just like to point out that "Moon Man" is a racist meme on the internet in which the eponymous character sings songs (using a text-to-speech program of some sort) about killing Jews, Blacks, Hispanics and other races, so it's probably not a coincidence that someone calling themselves Moon Man just happens to be defending fascism, and also has a Confederate flag on his nation. Just google "Moon man racist".

Edited by Andrezj Kolarov

I'd just like to point out that "Moon Man" is a racist meme on the internet in which the eponymous character sings songs (using a text-to-speech program of some sort) about killing Jews, Blacks, Hispanics and other races, so it's probably not a coincidence that someone calling themselves Moon Man just happens to be defending fascism, and also has a Confederate flag on his nation. Just google "Moon man racist".

I checked out this moon man and he seems well liked from minorities from what I seen. This guys nation is in Africa as well so clearly not what you suggest. 

IpHGyGc.png

I want a girlfriend?

lmao... this is the most funny post in this topic; however, I doubt the Mods have the power of a santas claus to gift you a GF in here or in RL. If they did, then Mods, I ask give me my reward and let me win the powerball and mega millions lottery next week :)