Buying a Projector

Alex

• Administrators

I'm hoping someone familiar with projectors can help me out. I'm looking at replacing my old 32" TV with a projector. I've got a section of wall that I want to project at, and I took a measuring tape and found it'd be good for about a 64" by 36" screen (16:9 aspect ratio), and I'd have the projector roughly 8 feet from the wall I want to project onto.

What I want in a projector is this:

HDMI Input

Full 1080P Resolution Display

Something that will operate for long period of time without overheating or any issues (by long period of time I'm thinking like, 6 hours at max? normal use being maybe 2-3 hours)

Preferably not super expensive

Preferably a high refresh rate, but that's not super important

I've already got speakers and a nice receiver for my entertainment equipment (BT, PS3, Satellite, and it goes to my TV) I'd just like to sub in the projector for my TV and I'll be good to go.

Ideas? I've looked on eBay, and I've seen a variety of projectors that claim to be 1080P with HDMI input, but the price range is ridiculous. What is a reasonable price for what I want? I don't need a Movie Theater level projector or any fancy features.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Introducing the Aperture Science Pocket Projector! Now with al the things Sheepy asked for! Buy one now at your local Junes Department Store for only 1 Orbis Note!

Edited by Golen II

This is very small

God too many helpful posts are here...

Look your best shot is getting one of those Curve HD Smart TVs. Projectors just aren't a good choice for Home Entertainment.

• Upvote 1

banner.png

Original Founder of the Brotherhood of Steel

Indie Game Developer

To use later:

[im=http://i.imgur.com/NGFenqH.gif?1]

The problem you're going to have with projectors are that they don't have the highest resolution rate. Also, are you going to be ceiling mounting the projector or wall mounting or just putting it on a desk? Depending on your answer you may need to get a projector with different vent placements, since that can have a huge impact on the time you get before it heats up. Also, you need to take into consideration not only the price tag for the projector itself, but also the price for the replacement lamps, since some of them can get pretty pricey.

If you are spending less than a thousand dollars, you aren't going to be getting a great projector. We bought a $500 one and just projecting text onto a wall, we have to jack up the font size to get it to come out clear enough to read across the room. You get what you pay for here.

greene.png

Formerly known as Grealind of Resvernas (28 October 2014-29 August 2017) and Greene of Japan (29 August 2017-28 Septmber 2017)

7th Caretaker of Duat, the Deity Thoth

make sure to also get one of those white screens instead of just projecting on your wall. It'll look nicer

• Upvote 1

The many forms of proof regarding Kastor's sexuality:

- Kastor: I already came out the closet.

- MaIone: I'm gay

* MaIone is now known as Kastor

- Henri: i'm a !@#$it

Skable: the !@#$ is a codo?

420kekscope.jpg

I recommend a potato.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0AOGeqOnFY

your argument is invalid

Edited by Lysandre Mackintosh

Peace will never be accomplished without war, but war cannot happen without peace.... or something like that idk

My cousins have one. I'll ask them about it and post here later. 

All I have to say is my cousins are very helpful. (End of sarcasm) 

They said that they love their Optoma projector.  :mellow:

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

I wouldn't recommends a projector, since their resolution is low. Also (for me at least) the cable tends to malfunction and causes the projector to loses the color blue, which results in everyone having liver failure.

indonesia.jpg

King Bilal the Great Mediocre

The Average monarch of Billonesia

Wikia page (if you're into roleplay things).

We Tvtropes now. (down the rabbit hole!)

I wouldn't recommends a projector, since their resolution is low. Also (for me at least) the cable tends to malfunction and causes the projector to loses the color blue, which results in everyone having liver failure.

Get a new cable. Is it a HDMI cable or something else? 

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

Get a new cable. Is it a HDMI cable or something else? 

It's those loosely-fitting VGA cables. I'll probably buy a HDMI if I really need to use my projector.

indonesia.jpg

King Bilal the Great Mediocre

The Average monarch of Billonesia

Wikia page (if you're into roleplay things).

We Tvtropes now. (down the rabbit hole!)

• Administrators

I purchased one on Amazon, along with some long HDMI cables. We'll see how it works out, I might throw up some pics for comparison to my 32" TV.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Personally, I prefer a 42" LCD samsung because they are perfect for gaming, vizio also works but those tend to go out after 2 or 3 years of use. but as per projectors, Im not sure about those because the image is more easily distorted by light and shadows and dust and what have you.

"Head-shots for days"

• 2 weeks later...

Oh wow, a link. This might be just what I need. A cool talk about potatoes... you know... maybe even a song about them

Clicks on Link

!@#$...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5XRiGi1eofQ

Peace will never be accomplished without war, but war cannot happen without peace.... or something like that idk

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=projector+screen+paint&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=40043658727&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10199153913928505485&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_ks0fawj4s_b

dont underestimate how important it is to have a good surface to play it on, i would suggest you either buy projector paint or a screen to display it on.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I wouldn't recommend a projecter. They are more for elementary school teachers who don't know any technology.

Or someone who wants a 72" screen that only costs $200 :D

I'm pretty happy with my purchase. I bought some really long HDMI cords, an adapter to hook them together, and a cheap camera tripod that I zip-tied the projector onto. Now it sits in my room, the cords run to my receiver, and I put a blanket (poor man's rug) over the cords. Voila! Huge screen, awesome fun times.

• Upvote 1

Forums Rules | Game Link

Or someone who wants a 72" screen that only costs $200 :D

I'm pretty happy with my purchase. I bought some really long HDMI cords, an adapter to hook them together, and a cheap camera tripod that I zip-tied the projector onto. Now it sits in my room, the cords run to my receiver, and I put a blanket (poor man's rug) over the cords. Voila! Huge screen, awesome fun times.

Really should've used my advice. You can even buy a sack of potatoes for like $5