Limit Number of Trades Per Resource Per Nation

Placentica

https://politicsandwar.com/index.php?id=26&display=world&resource1=steel&buysell=buy&ob=price&od=ASC&maximum=100&minimum=0&search=Go

g3uaN1X.jpg

Stuff like this is getting a bit out of control.  One nation has 8 buy trades for steel.  I know some people don't like how I trade, but at least I delete old trades that are only a few dollars different.  In general I try not to just clog up the trade market with useless trades. 

My suggestion is to have a limit of 2-3 buy and 2-3 sell orders max - or 4-5 trades max per resource.  It wouldn't be too restrictive this way, but would make nations clean up old trades.  It would still allow for staggered trade offers (100 at $1300, 100 at $1100, etc in case you want to buy at different amounts) while getting rid of all these duplicate trades all because a nation is too lazy to delete them.

Edited by Placentica
  • Upvote 1

yea a nation ended up ruining the munitions market faster by make 10 different trades at the same time going 30-60 dollars less in a row till it was about $300 less and some idiot put 300munitions under it making it impossible for munitions to recover and causing the prices we see today a bit faster

(^。^)y-.。o○ (-。-)y-゜゜゜ this is how i make my cloud

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag291/petgangster/efb30519-f381-4330-a62b-11db0d2a058b_zpscilyk2rj.png

I agree that 1 buy and 1 sell should be sufficient, and I would go as far as to suggest that if an existing offer already exists, if you try to post a new offer it simply overwrites the existing one. This way even if you aren't paying attention and forget to remove the existing offer, you wont have to go back, remove the offer, and then post a new one. Saves time and hassle.

greene.png

Formerly known as Grealind of Resvernas (28 October 2014-29 August 2017) and Greene of Japan (29 August 2017-28 Septmber 2017)

7th Caretaker of Duat, the Deity Thoth

lol...

But there's still a relatively valid reason for having multiple buy or multiple sell offers. Like lets say you need a little steel in the short term, more in the long term, and steel is expensive.

Lets say the lowest sell is $2000 and the highest buy is $1500.

You put in a buy at $1510 instead of clicking the $2000 sell because that's a pretty big gap and you'd like to avoid paying $490 extra. But you don't need much in the near future, so say it's a buy offer of 50 at $1510.

Now in the long term you want more steel, and you're hoping steel prices will go down while you're offline, so you stick in a buy offer of 300 at $1200, a pretty good price and one you'd be willing to pay to secure a more long term supply of steel. There are several offers from other people between $1200 and $1500, so you're hoping these might all be accepted by people looking to unload steel.

And just in case some alliance decides to unload their whole steel stockpile or something and steel prices really crash, you put in a buy offer of 1000 steel at $900 even though you won't need that much for your nation because you're confident that you'll be able to sell it back at a profit.

• Administrators

I'm pretty sure old trade offers are automatically removed after 3 days if they're not accepted, but it's been a while since I've looked at that code. I would agree with Grealind that offer overwriting would be a neat feature, except in instances like Memph outlined.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

I'm pretty sure old trade offers are automatically removed after 3 days if they're not accepted, but it's been a while since I've looked at that code. I would agree with Grealind that offer overwriting would be a neat feature, except in instances like Memph outlined.

There's currently steel listed for sale on the market from the 4th, today is now the 11th.

There's also currently a gas listing for buying posted on the 3rd.

3 days is definitely not the case.

scSqPGJ.gif

I'm pretty sure old trade offers are automatically removed after 3 days if they're not accepted, but it's been a while since I've looked at that code.

From the Create Offer screen:

Creating a trade offer takes resources or money out of your stockpile and makes them available on the market. If at any time you decide you want to cancel your offer (before it's accepted) you can do so and receive your resources back. Trades take 10 days to expire. Creating a personal trade means that the offer will only be available to the nation that you sent it to. Creating an in-alliance offer (if you're currently in an alliance) means that only nations in your alliance will be able to see and accept your offer. Creating a global trade offer means that anyone in the game will be able to see and accept your offer.

hxvRjGK.jpg

I think one buy and sell order per resource should be sufficient.

I like this idea as well.

Physician! Heal thyself.

[insert really old screen shot here]

Did you even bother to check the current iron trade screen?  Before you post an old screen shot at least check before you make yourself look stupid.  Secondly, these are staggered buy prices.  Lastly, when I realized I had that many up, I cancelled them.  The buyer doing all the steel buys hasn't cancelled them in over a week.  This is a suggestion thread, not a thread where DIEC tries and fails to make me look bad.  I know you guys have this scary obsession with me.  Do I need to get a restraining order?

Edited by Placentica

Yeah it's a real problem, thought it was fixed in Alpha or at least limited to 5 as suggest some time ago.

Some people don't have the time to delete old trades so they can start to pile up, perhaps the less value trades should expire automatically once a limit is reached. 

IpHGyGc.png

Did you even bother to check the current iron trade screen?  Before you post an old screen shot at least check before you make yourself look stupid.  Secondly, these are staggered buy prices.  Lastly, when I realized I had that many up, I cancelled them.  The buyer doing all the steel buys hasn't cancelled them in over a week.  This is a suggestion thread, not a thread where DIEC tries and fails to make me look bad.  I know you guys have this scary obsession with me.  Do I need to get a restraining order?

A non-VoC member showing you're a hypocrite isn't VoC making you look bad.

But it does provide some insight, you left your offers running for just over a week and mine are running for a couple of days(not over a week) as they mostly started on the 9th(2 days ago).

Lucky I realized I had so many now and will get around to removing them. 

Edited by Diabolos

IpHGyGc.png

A: What are you talking about?  I took that screenshot a while ago when you had, conveniently, just the right number of buy orders that, had I posted a new one, it would have shown up on the second page unless the person who was looking for it accessed the buy screen in a different way.  Fortunately, I had one old order that I could delete to make room for my new one.

B: What are you talking about?  I have confessed openly to liking you.  I have defended you in private.  I do exactly what you do, albeit I have less time available to do it now.  But I'm not going to condemn you for doing what I do.  I frequently defend your practices.

C: What the Hell are you talking about?!

D:  Are you serious?

evidence41_zps879de4e3.png

Yeah, sorry guys.  Turns out I'm the idiot.  Twist ending.

You were more or less guilty of what you are complaining about here.  Did you do it on purpose?  I doubt it.  Does it make you look bad?  No.  Does it make you look kind of silly?  Sure.  It makes you look a bit silly.  But that's about it.  I think you're really overreacting here.  I really don't know anyone in DIEC and I'm certainly not showing up on their payroll.

Psst, Diabalos.  There's plenty more where that came from.  How'sabout you grease the wheels, eh?

At least... Not yet.

Edited by Ashland

aUel2fG.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[10:47] you used to be the voice of irc

I don't think it should be limited to one each.  One of my strategies to counter people who, apparently, have all the time in the world on their hands has been to post three offers at once: One immediately undercutting them, another about five below them (if I'm talking about food), and another about ten below them.  It's good because it allows me to engage in a sort of... price discrimination warfare.  Undercutting my top price by one will not make them the lowest of the two; they'll have to undercut my lowest offer.  If they're smart they'll undercut all three by one, but even then I have a slight edge with my response, which I won't go into.

Suffice it to say that being able to have more than one offer is useful and it is particularly useful in that it reduces the advantage that those who simply have all day to play the market have over those who do not.  In fact, I might presume that that is why Placentica wants such a limit imposed.

aUel2fG.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Goddamn it Steve, just own up to it. I certainly don't care that people do this kind of stuff (although they are definitely copycats) but whining on the forums about it is just bad taste.

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

!@#$ it Steve, just own up to it. I certainly don't care that people do this kind of stuff (although they are definitely copycats) but whining on the forums about it is just bad taste.

It's clear why he wants this limit imposed.  Posting multiple offers is a quick, easy way of cutting into his profits without taking a huge risk because you leave your options open.  Having a trade limit disproportionately benefits people who have more time to play the market, i.e. Placentica and Aamir.  It's really just that simple.

Edited by Ashland

aUel2fG.png